Suggestion: Allow playing custom tournaments [Multiplayer]

This idea struck me the other day when we were playing fantasy football at work during European championship.

What I would like to see is custom selection of certain tournaments like World Cup, Champions League and so on..

At the start of the game you would select which teams should be involved in the tournaments set up groups and then each player can select his own team. For national teams you would select your players from national pool while for regular clubs you would have to use whatever you have when the game is started.

This would allow for some short but intensive multiplayer games to prove who is the best manager. Imagine playing World Cup or European Championship against your co-workers beating the crap out of them. I think this would make multiplayer part of the game much better and enjoyable since you can pick it up at any point and only play short tournaments without having to go through whole seasons.

Opinions?

Actually .. he's right.

For Multi-player, on-line play, setting up an international tournament like the Euros or World Cup is perfect: you don't have all the time-consuming scouting, training, media, etc, that you do with league play .. and with seven matches instead of 38 to get through a "season", its sized beautifully for a single afternoon session.

However, I think that's the direction SI are going with FM-Live, so I doubt that they will build it into FM.

Deloma - its worth noting that you can still do this! Have somebody set up a game, and "Go On Holiday" until 3 weeks before the Euro 2008, or World Cup 2010.

Then he looks at the game, announces the group draws, etc, and people pick teams.

'Twas great fun when the FMS community got maybe eight to ten of us together for a Euro 2008!

To be honest, if this was included the amount of OTF and other FM board games would rocket, a feature is only aimed at a minority until it exists.. then it can become a hit. :p

All of my friends have grumbled atleast once in the past about this, at LAN parties and other events, they say playing a full season is too stop-starty and alot of our games die out. It would be awesome to blast through an all-night Euro 2008.

Or even better, you say you've got 7 human teams, the game generates a league with 7 teams, generates the fixtures and then you play.

Could go more into it, like drafts, etc.. but it's already all been said in the past

There's alot of potential in the multiplayer side of the game if given development time.

Archived