That's it, I want my money back

What exactly is the problem you're having?

Where do I begin?

Steam keeps popping up with internet links all the time to their products.

I can't launch this game whilst being online.

The game doesn't work without steam.

I uninstalled steam hoping it would get rid of all their pop ups bugging me when I'm working.

I now can't play FM without steam.

I installed steam back and it's somehow corrupted my whole system.

I now have to install an update that takes 1 hour to download to attempt to play FM.

I hate the fact I just can't play the game and I need to use Steam for the whole activation proccess, it's like SI doesn't trust me.

If you bought it from a shop, you DONT need Steam.

Perhaps start all over again, including uninstalling Steam, and then authenticate from the Sotfanchor page on install.

Well I cleary do need Steam, the game doesn't load without it.

I can't even find FM09 on the uninstall page.

If you bought it from a shop, you don't HAVE to use Steam to play or activate the game.

If you uninstall everything, and start from scratch and use the non-steam option when inserting the DVD and see how you get on with that.

More specific information around the problems will help us to fix it.

I understand it can be frustrating, but provided your PC specs are up to scratch we can help you get it working.

Where do I begin?

I uninstalled steam hoping it would get rid of all their pop ups bugging me when I'm working.

I now have to install an update that takes 1 hour to download to attempt to play FM.

I hate the fact I just can't play the game and I need to use Steam for the whole activation proccess, it's like SI doesn't trust me.

u dont need steam you could use uniloc to activate it

Where do I begin?

So not a thing on the list is to do with SI then?

Well I cleary do need Steam, the game doesn't load without it.

I can't even find FM09 on the uninstall page.

I bought it from a shop and I don't need Steam (which does sound like a nightmare)

You can install FM, then authenticate online when prompted (not via Steam).

Takes about 30 seconds, works great.

If you just wanna go mental, then that's up to you

Where do I begin?

I hate steam as well. Probably not as much as you but... Basically what i did was uninstall it using the add/remove option from the control panel. After this i uninstalled the game. Then i installed the game again and when it asks during the installation if you want to install via steam or the other option; CHOOSE the other option. After this when you run your game it will ask for activation... you can then put in the key thats at the back of your manual and it will be activated.

Don't lose all hope... this is the best game they've done. You'll think so too when you start playing it.

I bought it from a shop and I don't need Steam (which does sound like a nightmare)

You can install FM, then authenticate online when prompted (not via Steam).

Takes about 30 seconds, works great.

If you just wanna go mental, then that's up to you

Ok, let me explain further.

I installed the game through Steam, it worked. I played it for a few days but decided Steam was too much hassle. I uninstalled Steam, and now it's all gone crazy. So I installed Steam again, and it's gone even more crazy.

Get it?

I hate steam as well. Probably not as much as you but... Basically what i did was uninstall it using the add/remove option from the control panel. After this i uninstalled the game. Then i installed the game again and when it asks during the installation if you want to install via steam or the other option; CHOOSE the other option. After this when you run your game it will ask for activation... you can then put in the key thats at the back of your manual and it will be activated.

Don't lose all hope... this is the best game they've done. You'll think so too when you start playing it.

The problem is I can't find FM09 in add/remove.

Secondly, I've played this game (as stated before) and I love it. Steam has sucked the enthusiasm out of me however...

Steam works perfectly fine, you don't need it once its activated. Try finding the FM09 route folder which should be :

"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\football manager 2009\fm.exe"

And run it from there. Its what I do and it works perfectly well.

Ok, let me explain further.

I installed the game through Steam, it worked. I played it for a few days but decided Steam was too much hassle. I uninstalled Steam, and now it's all gone crazy. So I installed Steam again, and it's gone even more crazy.

Get it?

Right, that information helps a lot :)

When you install the game through steam it installs the game in the same place as where steam sits. So by uninstalling Steam you've effectively uninstalled the game itself.

Like I said above, check C:\Programfiles\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\

And see if you can run the game from there.

Right, that information helps a lot :)

When you install the game through steam it installs the game in the same place as where steam sits. So by uninstalling Steam you've effectively uninstalled the game itself.

Like I said above, check C:\Programfiles\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\

And see if you can run the game from there.

I thought as much.

The problem is that I now don't know how to install it, and I don't want to download this hour long thing because it will reck havoc with my broadband bill.

Stop being so pessimistic and defeatest, man-up, deal with how annoyed you are, and do something to make it work. You've got several people here trying their best to help you play the game. Whinging won't help.

Well, there IS no way to play FM.

I can't load the game installer, I can't get it to run through Steam, only thing that might work is the downloader which will destroy my broandband bill.

I appreciate the help very very very much, and you've all been very good, but the simple fact is that it shouldn't be so difficult to play a game.

It's estimate is around 35-40mins ( I have fast internet).

I don't want to download it for the reason above.

Are you able to uninstall Steam completely? It may be best for you to just accept this initial c**k up, and start again.

Go back to the beginning as if you have just bought it, and never let Steam into your life again.......

Are you able to uninstall Steam completely? It may be best for you to just accept this initial c**k up, and start again.

Go back to the beginning as if you have just bought it, and never let Steam into your life again.......

I'd love to do that, but I can't get the game installer to load up.

I've never heard of a broadband provider that charges by kb, but maybe that's just me...

Just because you activated it once through steam, doesn't mean you can't re-isntall from scratch again without using it.

If you are having problems with steam, close it down and uninstall it and start again directly from the DVD.

I assume you've checked in C:\Programfiles\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\ ?

Oh my god how about you stop being a child. I'm glad that you didn't get your money back from the store, since there's nothing wrong with your game.

If you have a problem with steam then it's a problem BY steam or YOUR computer. I'm dumbfounded by why you chose to use steam when you bought the game from a store.

Try looking where Neji told you to look (usually it's located C:/Program Files/steam/steamapps/Football Manager 2009 or something like that. Not entirely sure but I think it's this location). <- If this doesn't work try deleting the folder entirely and try installing again, without using Steam.

I've never heard of a broadband provider that charges by kb, but maybe that's just me...

Just because you activated it once through steam, doesn't mean you can't re-isntall from scratch again without using it.

If you are having problems with steam, close it down and uninstall it and start again directly from the DVD.

I assume you've checked in C:\Programfiles\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\ ?

All I see is FM09depot.

Dude, I had the EXACT same issue as you did, and do you know what I did?

No, I didn't whinge on the internet while a bunch of people were trying to help. I just deleted any trace of FM09 from my system, deleted Steam, popped the disc back in and reinstalled FM, and chose to activate it by uniloc. Worked like a dream.

Archived