room between defence and midfield

How can i shutt my assistant up, this is all he bangs on about. I have pushed my defence well up and have a midfielder who i have told to sit and not wonder around.

Help!

I'm Middlesebrough and Lost my first friendly 5-4 to Charlton, second was a draw 2-2 with Mainz, and then beat Queens Park 4-1. So seem to be scoring and playing ok, but may need to rain in D'allesandro.

I'm Everton, and he bangs on about exactly the same thing! I just ignore him though because i'm winning. I play 4-4-1-1, and tell one of the central midfielders to have a defensive mentality (i usually make sure its a DM), then i play the guy just behind the striker offset to the right of centre, and the striker on the left side. Maybe it'll stop you conceding big scores like 5-4. But otherwise, just ignore the fella, or sack him.

As far as I'm aware, its not the 'push up' slider on the team instructions thats causing this message, its the individual mentalities of the defence...

I used to get this message all the time until I adjusted my DCs mentality, from ultra defensive (slider all the way to the left) to perhaps 3 or 4 clicks in towards the middle.

Your keeper should be on the same mentality as your DCs as well, that means that if you DCs push up you keeper comes out of his box a little, to stop long balls being played in over the top of your defence.

The thing that is annoying is that we've always seen that screen-tip that says "if your leaking too many goals, set you CBs to Ultra Defensive" Now in this version the AM keeps telling us about this gap and its because each line of the teams mentality is too spread out! Its confusing! So which ones best?

it's to do with mentalities, which you can read about at great lengths on the tactical forums. for me the mentality system and the emphasis placed on it is the weakest part of the game's tactical module, unintuitive and not realistic in the sense of "what would a REAL football manager tell his players?". Still, if you're putting much time into the game it's worth boning up on as it does get results

As far as I'm aware, its not the 'push up' slider on the team instructions thats causing this message, its the individual mentalities of the defence...

I used to get this message all the time until I adjusted my DCs mentality, from ultra defensive (slider all the way to the left) to perhaps 3 or 4 clicks in towards the middle.

Your keeper should be on the same mentality as your DCs as well, that means that if you DCs push up you keeper comes out of his box a little, to stop long balls being played in over the top of your defence.

Yup thats all right. You probably want to have no mare than 8 notches between your GK/DC and your most attacking striker. If you are still struggling just set the global mentality to 11 for everyone. The best way to get your head round it is to imagine a mid point where you want your overall mentality to be then set your ST +4 and your DC -4. As you get more complex you can add a support striker MCd and Wingers.

i just dont listen to the ass man

how can u play with attacking wingers and not have a gap unless u got 2 dms?

It just means you would need a more attacking back line and you might want to have them pushed up as well.

Otherwise it would be like telling your DCs to hang out at the edge of the box (ultra defensive) whilst you MCs and wingers pushed right up and played in the final 3rd, thus leaving a big gap between DCs and Midfiled. Having more attacking DCs is more about having them play around the centre circle rather than charging into the box. Thats why it helps to think of your overall mentality and work back and forwards from that.

You didn't read what i said. I've already read that, I know how to set tactics up its just weird that before in 08 they gave us this tip but using it now in 09 leads to worse performances!

the assistant advice is not gospel I'm just explaining what it means. There may be times when you dont worry too much about any gaps. For example if you are trying to close out a game or if you are using a poacher. Long term the gaps may be harmful short term it may not matter or it may even help to have ultra defensive DCs or a really pushed up St that you boot the ball to. Dont get so snippy I'm trying to help you.

Archived