Crashed!! :(

Hi guys, can anybody help me what is wrong here, I got an error message and automatically quit my current game. It crashed. This is the second time I encounter this problem. The last time it happened, I was into my second season, and I had to restart the whole game from first season. And now I'm midway through my third season. Please don't say I have to restart my game again. This is getting annoying. All the time and effort count for nothing. Please, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

"A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in:

C:/My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/crash dumps"

Hi guys, can anybody help me what is wrong here, I got an error message and automatically quit my current game. It crashed. This is the second time I encounter this problem. The last time it happened, I was into my second season, and I had to restart the whole game from first season. And now I'm midway through my third season. Please don't say I have to restart my game again. This is getting annoying. All the time and effort count for nothing. Please, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

"A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in:

C:/My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/crash dumps"

Why would you have to start the save again? Have you not saved the game prior to the third season?

Save regularly.

A serious error could be anything. I'm no real expert but I am pretty sure there should be a information button the the crash window. You can use that to find details.

I saved so regularly, after every match whatever the results, I saved the game. Right now I can load my current game, but I can't continue the game to the next day and straight away return to windows with that error message everytime I press the space bar or click continue.. :S

I cannot recommend using the rolling save set to save weekly highly enough.

Only using one save, will unfortunately mean you lose all of your progress when/if a corruption of your game occurs.

Have you tried going on holiday in your current "crashing" game to see if it will get past the crash date?

Check the "Football Manager 2008 Bugs Forum" to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Its most likely a hardware issue or could be something to do with your database, are you using an unnofficial update?

Try defragging your HD and scanning for virus etc.

I don't think it will make any difference if I set to save weekly or save after every match..because when I load later on, I get back to the day but the problem is I can't move to the next day. Basically I don't lose all of my progress but I just can't continue my progress.

I haven't update the game, still the original version of the game.

Hate it if I have to start a new game after what I have achieved so far. :S

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dan777:

C:/My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/crash dumps" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've been having a few crashes with my FM games lately.

a few days ago it would crash everytime i clicked the exit button to quit the game!

always saves a backup automatically from the last time i saved the game though.

Patch will work for your save but Im not promising it will fix your problem. On my old computer I had the same crash and updating fixed it so it could work, could not icon_wink.gif

Good luck icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dan777:

I don't think it will make any difference if I set to save weekly or save after every match..because when I load later on, I get back to the day but the problem is I can't move to the next day. Basically I don't lose all of my progress but I just can't continue my progress.

I haven't update the game, still the original version of the game.

Hate it if I have to start a new game after what I have achieved so far. :S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you should do is set it to save monthly and have it on a 3 file rolling autosave. That way if your game becomes corrupted you can go back a month and find that you can continue fine. If that doesn't work you have the third save to fall back on, so at the most you lose a couple of months.

For extra safety I always save to a second file half way through the first season and will swap between the two every six months. That way, if one gets corrupted to the point where even the rolling autosave doesn't work I still only lose 6 months game time, which while annoying is better than losing the entire save.

If defragging your hard drive and checking for errors, virus & spyware doesnt work then the best place to ask would probably be the bugs forum. They'll probably ask you to upload your saved game for them to look at.

Thanks for the suggestions..I'll try them.

Sorry guys, but I have few questions:

1. I've downloaded the 8.0.2 patch using torrent, but I can't install or do anything because the file is considered to be an unknown file. Unlike 8.0.1 patch, I can just double-click the file. How do I install the 8.0.2 patch?

2. What is the "user data" folder option under preferences? What is the purpose of the folder?

3. What is "continue game timeout" option under preferences?

4. There are few options for auto save mode (incremental, single file, 3-10 file rolling auto save), can you explain to me each of the modes?

5. I've set the auto save interval to weekly, is that better than monthly or doesn't make any difference?

Thanks for your time & help guys.

Thanks for the suggestions..I'll try them.

Sorry guys, but I have few questions:

1. I've downloaded the 8.0.2 patch using torrent, but I can't install or do anything because the file is considered to be an unknown file. Unlike 8.0.1 patch, I can just double-click the file. How do I install the 8.0.2 patch?

2. What is the "user data" folder option under preferences? What is the purpose of the folder?

3. What is "continue game timeout" option under preferences?

4. There are few options for auto save mode (incremental, single file, 3-10 file rolling auto save), can you explain to me each of the modes?

5. I've set the auto save interval to weekly, is that better than monthly or doesn't make any difference?

Thanks for your time & help guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - Do you have Winrar or a similar programme to extract RAR files? It could be that the file has been converted to .rar format (quite commen with torrent files) so you'll need the appropriate programme to open it. Google Winrar to download a free trial version and see if that fixes the problem.

2 - I don't know I'm afraid.

3 - This means that the game will countdown before continuing automatically. I have this set to 10 seconds so I can leave the game to contnue itself between matchs. Basically when any processing's been done you get 10 seconds to click the screen. If you don't do anything it will continue on its own. Not recommended if you like to see every piece of news as it happens and that kind of thing.

I'll have to answer the rest of your queries later as it's now home time and I'm at work icon_wink.gif

Hopefully someone else will be able to answer the rest.

The 8.0.2 patch has fixed my crash game, now I can continue my progress. But I have another question, is it possible to play the game with the latest patch without the CD? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not legally, no.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by dan777:

The 8.0.2 patch has fixed my crash game, now I can continue my progress. But I have another question, is it possible to play the game with the latest patch without the CD? Thanks.

Not legally, no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about that Neji? Although I havent tried it myself I'm sure I've read posts saying that you can remove the cd once the game has loaded.

What I meant was to play the game without the CD. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once the game as loaded you can, but not before or you'll be breaking the terms and conditions, as well as the law.

Archived