Not a Rant, Simply a Realisation

I no longer have my copy of FM 2009 ( i sent it back because my PC couldnt handle the massive amount of memory being used to process games etc..)

I have since stuck with FM 2008, Weegie updated and i must say on the whole it seems better than FM 2009.

For me, 09 seemed to LMA manager with 3D and i thought what SI should of done is stuck with 2D and improved that aspect of the game.

Anyone else who is playing FM 08 and think its better?

I loved FM08 but I love '09 even more.

The 3D, while not Pro Evo standard (but if you expected that you're kidding yourself) is excellent, particularly for identifying strengths and weaknesses in your tactics.

For me FM09 is a fantastic step in the right direction, and the 3D view will only get better and better.

Unfortunately this means that some people need a more powerful machine, but the game could not be stuck in the dark ages for ever.

I liked 08 but it was alot worse than 07. I ended up playing 07. 09 is excellent.

I never really played 07, I think that's why I enjoyed 08 so much. Most people seem to think that 07 was better, so I probably would have felt differently if I had played it.

btw how come that so many people on here now write 'of' instead of 'have'? That's very irritating for a non-native :(

Is this text speak or does the average level of language sophistication go down the drain as well?

Sorry about bumping my own question, but this really bothers me. Any answer? :)

Sorry about bumping my own question, but this really bothers me. Any answer? :)

It's because, when spoken, we say "could've" or "would've", for example. To the ear, they sound more like "could of" or "would of" than "could have" or "would have". It's irritating, though. I would of thought the schools could of learned them better, innit.

btw how come that so many people on here now write 'of' instead of 'have'? That's very irritating for a non-native :(

Is this text speak or does the average level of language sophistication go down the drain as well?

Are you being ironic?

Critising peoples literacy skills by starting the sentence with "btw"? Just found that amusing...

08 was my least favourite Football Manager. It was the only one I didn't get addicted to. I just couldn't get going. Im into this one straight away.

Totally agree with you Istan, I could not get into FM08 at all, not sure why just didn't enjoy it.

FM09 on the other hsnd I think is excellent and a massive improvement.

Are you being ironic?

Critising peoples literacy skills by starting the sentence with "btw"? Just found that amusing...

I just wondered if this is a common abbreviation (like btw) or a language error. I realise it's origin, but I cannot know which of the two alternatives it is. :)

09, I must say, is infinitely better than 08. Last year I tried 08 before the 8.0.2 patch, didn't like it at all and went back to 07 and didn't really miss a feature from 08 (except the coach reports perhaps). If I were to return to 08 now I'd miss a hell of a lot. There seem to be so many subtle changes this year (the roaming scouts for example) that make a difference. The main selling features (3D, press conferences) are poor but it's the small additions and improvements that make 09 a very good game.

I don't think you can judge a FM game on a week or so's play. I played 08 right up to the release of 09 and it kept me interested though I had to learn to put up with a few niggles (horrendous quality of regens, terrible transfer system).

So far FM 09 seems a huge step forward. There are a couple of key features that I couldn't live without already. The instant reply function in a match is superb and the 3d is much more immersive than I could have hoped. And while the transfer system is still not 100%, it's working better and is much less frustrating.

If the long term factors are right then this could prove to be my favourite version since the glory days of the 90s.

The point I'd make there is that the 2D match view is much improved this year. So even if you don't use the 3D you're still getting a better match engine.

The match engine is improved, but I don't think 2D has improved at all, in fact I think it's worse. I thougth 2D in 08 was pretty much perfect, the ME needed some work, but the representation was great. I'm not a fan of 3D, the 3D in 09 is nice, but I wouldn't be using it if the 2D had remained the same.

"i thought what SI should of done is stuck with 2D and improved that aspect of the game. "

They should've improved the 2D? What should they have done? If you are refering to improving the match engine then that has been done. As a little addition they have offered you 3D matches which you are free not to use.

It's not some very valid points you make. Sounds like you are just bitter... And while it sucks that you can't play FM09 proper, don't start trashing the game. It's better than 08 in most aspects. If you need to convince yourself that it isn't, then do it somewhere else.

Did you try upping your virtual memory? I only have 512MB RAM in my system and I play without much trouble, since I blasted my virtual mem up to 4GB.

I loved FM08 but I love '09 even more.

The 3D, while not Pro Evo standard (but if you expected that you're kidding yourself) is excellent, particularly for identifying strengths and weaknesses in your tactics.

For me FM09 is a fantastic step in the right direction, and the 3D view will only get better and better.

Unfortunately this means that some people need a more powerful machine, but the game could not be stuck in the dark ages for ever.

I agree. I was hoping for just Micro League Baseball/Ultimate Soccer Manager level graphics. I have to say that I find myself even more engaged with the 3D, especially when a player is taken down and there is no foul called.

I never really played 07, I think that's why I enjoyed 08 so much. Most people seem to think that 07 was better, so I probably would have felt differently if I had played it.

Thing is, 08 had soem good new features but nothing that was missed by going back to 07.

07 had better regens (probably too good, but IMO that is better than 08). It also had a better transfer system, not perfect by any means but better than 08 at least. 08 probably edges it on tactics but thats all.

I agree. I was hoping for just Micro League Baseball/Ultimate Soccer Manager level graphics. I have to say that I find myself even more engaged with the 3D, especially when a player is taken down and there is no foul called.

'Taken down and no foul called'

Are you some sort of..............American?

Didn't get into 08 at all but thats becuase I found the tactics had gotten way too complicated. Got 09 for the 3d and I have to say I back loving the game, I really taught 08 was going to be it for me.

The 09 tactics document is a most read, I'm actually able to create my own tactics and I know what everything does, before I used to search for a super tactic and hope it would work!

i have to agree with the majority of posters in that I thought FM'08 was truly awful and far worse than FM'07. Being from the 'old school' of CM in it's very first incarnation, I just didn't engage with FM'08 at all and don't think I could have loved it less.

However, even as a Mac User, '09 has made me fall in love with it all over again. The one thing '08 did have going for it was making me take a good long look at my tactics and how to use them to best effect - why people seem to think this is 'too hard' I have no idea to be honest.

The 3D match engine is superb and I love it already, as has been said, it really helps bring the game even more to life and gives you a better feedback about how your team is playing - and watching Kandol crack home a 25 yarder after a neat one two with Howson being the highlight so far - it is awesome.

'Nuff said.

Archived