Come on, be honest.........

Hi,

Just wondered if any other FMers replay a match by loading the save again after a rubbish defeat, or savage injury (quite possible this with 09 eh)

Do you save before every match?;

Or do you just plough on regardless, even though you have had 30 shots to 1 and lost 1-0?

I am not suggesting that I would do it of course............;)

i only used to do it if i made it to a final. i couldn't bear making it all the way to the fa or champions league final and then losing! i don't do it anymore though, like you all, age has allowed me to accept defeat... also i like the tension now, makes the game more exciting. and it makes it more realistic.

Why did people do it more when they were young?

I think when i was a teenager i couldn't really appreciate the fun side of the game without winning. For instance i would almost always pick sleeping giants with big budgets as success was easy to come by.

Now i'm a bit older my playing habits have changed. I was Hull on 08 and really enjoyed getting promoted and then fighting a relegation battle, this year i'm going to have a look at Dafuge's challenge.

Playing styles just change with age i guess.

Why did people do it more when they were young?

Because it's all about the fun, winning 11-0 seemed fantastic and editing yourself and your mates in with 20's in everything was the norm. Now winning 11-0 feels dirty and realism equals fun.

When I was younger I used Genie Scout and downloaded tactics, as well, but now I wouldn't do either and enjoy success of my own.

I am the same, but am I wrong to ensure I at least be Man U?

Yes you are :p but each to their own. There are a variety of clubs I hate losing to, but IMO nothing comes close to simulating real football emotion than losing to a team you hate. It makes overall victory in the league/cups even sweeter :D

I save before each and after each game, just to make sure I don't have to play the same game again. still running the demo version and if my screensaver kicks in and locks my system (autmatically after 10 min., no way to change it by my its department, yes laptop from my work) my whole screen goes black, and only way to exit is via task manager, so yes I save before and afer but not to replay a match which I lost.

PS. anyone with the actual game can inform me if the problem I mentioned is solved in the final game with patch? I understood it was looked at by SI.

ooh, 'cheating' is a strong term. Surely, I buy the game, I put in the time, I am in my own little reality and I cannot ruin that lovely little fantasy with a deafeat to them........

I don't do it on any other occasion.........although Everton at home can be tricky.........

Each to their own, I suppose. But for me, reloading the game after a loss would just take away the realism of playing a long term career game.

I like to look back at my career, knowing that win, lose or draw - it was all done honestly.

I'll come clean, I did it when I was young and I still do it.

Not often because there wouldnt be any point in playing if you won every game, but I have no hesitation when I feel the game is just taking the smeg e.g. 7th consecutive game the opposition has scored with its only shot on target, making it 12 goals conceded from 14 attempts they have had! I probably reload 4/5 times a season, and it has never affected my enjoyment of the game.

I wonder why there is a particular stigma attached to FM about reloading as opposed to other games? You never hear someone saying I never completed Halo/Half-Life/Dues Ex because once I died I never went back to a checkpoint, that would be cheating. Surely FM is a game that can be enjoyed just like any other??

I never use this as a cheat.

Only in the network game with mates e save regularly as the clients tend to get disconnected once or twice a night. That often happens just before the start of a game and then we can rejoin but have no control. Our gentlemen's agreement then reserves the right to the disconnected to not accept the result if going the wrong way and demand a replay from the last save. The others in return can demand another replay if things go worse than they originally did. That's why we save often (every 2 hrs) to have as little impact as possible.

However that I don't consider cheating as not being in charge is bad as is losing the points the others have already won.

I have to admit though that until like 5 years ago I did it now and then to cheat, though only and especially after losing big finals. As winning on the 'replay' did not give me any satisfaction, I stopped.

I'll come clean, I did it when I was young and I still do it.

I wonder why there is a particular stigma attached to FM about reloading as opposed to other games? You never hear someone saying I never completed Halo/Half-Life/Dues Ex because once I died I never went back to a checkpoint, that would be cheating. Surely FM is a game that can be enjoyed just like any other??

But, say for example, you won the FA Cup, knowing that you reloaded the game in the semi's (after a defeat) - would you enjoy that cup success as much as one where you didn't reload?

You can't compare those. FM is an open game in which you can achieve something or not. If not, better luck next season. It just goes on and on.

In Half Life you 'die'. Game over. Stop playing the game after your first death is not exactly what it is intended for.

Dieing is getting sacked, losing a game is losing a healthpoint.

If you reload everytime you lose a health point so you know where the baddie is coming from, yes, that's cheating imo.

What if, you are playing FM and are 3-0 up at half time, only for the game to crash, or for the battery to run out or whatever. Then you start at that game again (having saved before) and you lose 4-0?

Can you , should you, replay that game until you get the victory you were gonna get originally?

What if, you are playing FM and are 3-0 up at half time, only for the game to crash, or for the battery to run out or whatever. Then you start at that game again (having saved before) and you lose 4-0?

Can you , should you, replay that game until you get the victory you were gonna get originally?

Up to you really.

We do this in our network games and I might do this at home too (though really only then). It doesn't actually matter at all whether anyone in the world considers that to be cheating. And even if, the game cheated first ;)

True, but those three goals could have gone to one player, and he would be improved for the next game, compared to not scoring in the second scenario.

This is all getting a bit 'if a tree falls in a forest', but what if the game crashed just after the 3-0 score had been confirmed then?

Personally, in a circumstance like that, I'd be tempted to reload. But it really is up to you.

To Dalglish: you are right, it wouldnt feel good to win a cup by reloading. So I almost never reload a cup game. Like I said, the only times I reload are when I feel the game has become ultra unrealistic. Then there isnt for me a problem.

To Jayahr: I can see your point. But FM is a management simulation, it isnt real life! They are still just games!

Just to clarify, I never reload on games with other people. That simply wouldnt be fair.

But for my own personal games, it is just that, a game to be enjoyed after a hard days work. FM has become ever more complicated and harder, and I try and play the game as best I can. But I am no tactics guru, so I do what I do to enjoy the game better. On my terms, because I reload very rarely and only when the game is, in my view, taking the smeg, and I never achieve a trophy through it, there is no problem at all and I still feel happy when I win.

There isnt some single arbitrary way that every single person can only enjoy the game, everyone is different.

I am 30 next March. I am getting the impression that I should have grown out of replaying the odd game by now.........

I'm older than you are, and being a Huddersfield Town fan I can't stand losing to either Leeds or Bradford.

If I do happen to lose to one of them the temptation to reload is almost overwhelming, but I usually manage to resist...... Yes I said "usually."

Fortunately I can usually beat them more often than they can beat me (......Sort of how it's been in real life for the past couple of seasons.......!!!!!)

I'm older than you are, and being a Huddersfield Town fan I can't stand losing to either Leeds or Bradford.

If I do happen to lose to one of them the temptation to reload is almost overwhelming, but I usually manage to resist...... Yes I said "usually."

Fortunately I can usually beat them more often than they can beat me (......Sort of how it's been in real life for the past couple of seasons.......!!!!!)

This is kinda my point. The game is there for us to carry out some sort of fantasy for our team. I have to accept defeat IRL, but sometimes I just think 'stuff it, that ain't happening' when playing FM

Not very often though.......

Well to me FM is, like any other PC game, a suspension of reality in that they allow us to escape the stress of everyday life and are a way of taking our minds off whatever problems we have to deal with in reality.

Yes, it's challenging to try and guide a team (be it my favourite team or another team chosen at random) to success, but it should also be fun. For the game to be fun, you have to be able (within the limits set by the software design) to play it the way you want to..... Afterall if it ends up being as enjoyable and stressful as your everyday job where's the fun in that?

I do understand what people mean about it being "cheating" to reload a match because you lost, and I do agree with them that it is...... But the last thing you want at the end of a hard day at work is to come home and get thumped 4-0 by your arch rivals. it's bad enough when that happens in real life..... let alone when it happens in a fantasy world that you are paying for the privilige of playing in.

So each to their own I say. Especially since it's not like cheating in a multiplayer game where you actually spoil other people's enjoyment to enhance your own.

Archived