A short and unofficial Mac FAQ

There are a lot of questions concerning the Mac version of the game in various threads here, so I thought I'd sum up a few of them so people don't have to ask them over and over again. Keep in mind I don't work for SI, so this is my analysis of the issues based on feedback and my own experiences.

-- The game won't launch on my Mac after installing the patch.

Go to the Apple menu -> About this Mac and check your processor type and OS version. You need an Intel processor and OS 10.5.5. If you have any other 10.5 version, 10.5.5 is available as a free upgrade via Software Update.

-- I have a PowerPC processor, and the Universal logo and the specs in the manual indicate that the game should run?

Yeah, but that seems like a slip-up. The back of the box and posts from SI on these forums indicate that you need Intel and Leopard to run the game.

-- I have Tiger (OS 10.4) and the manual indicates that the game should run?

Yeah, but that seems like a slip-up. The back of the box and posts from SI on these forums indicate that you need Intel and Leopard to run the game.

-- But the demo ran on my Mac, and it was stated on these forums that if the demo ran, so would the game?

-- But the game ran on my computer, albeit buggy, before I installed the patch?

Yeah, but that seems like a slip-up. The back of the box and posts from SI on these forums indicate that you need Intel and Leopard to run the game. (Sorry to be so repetitive...)

-- I have Intel and Leopard, and the game still crashes on startup.

See http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=67934. Clearing your preferences properly when uninstalling seems to be important here.

-- I can only set the graphics settings to "Low".

Try setting it to "Automatic" instead and see if the quality improves.

-- I can launch the game, but when I try to watch a match in 3D mode, the game crashes.

You probably have an insufficient graphics card (ie. the GMA 950). Turn off 3D mode in the preferences.

-- But the patch list states that GMA 950 issues are now fixed?

Windows only, it seems. Not necessarily SI's fault, the Mac OS utilises the GMA 950 in a different way than Windows.

Anything I've forgotten? Wouldn't mind if SI commentated/confirmed any of this.

Does that mean you have hockey pucks rather than players? I've had mine set to automatic all along, and I see players running around - I just assumed that was the low setting as that was the only one available apart from automatic. What kind of graphics card do you have again?

One shouldn't have anything to do without the other. What happens when you try to launch it? Try uninstalling, re-installing and applying the patch.

I get this message - The application Football Manager 2009 v 9 . 0 .0 f 23552 quit unexpectedly. I've re-installed it 5 times now with and without the patch and still no luck

-- I can launch the game, but when I try to watch a match in 3D mode, the game crashes.

You probably have an insufficient graphics card (ie. the GMA 950). Turn off 3D mode in the preferences.

-- But the patch list states that GMA 950 issues are now fixed?

Windows only, it seems. Not necessarily SI's fault, the Mac OS utilises the GMA 950 in a different way than Windows.

This is the problem I am having and the main thing I was waiting for the patch for - especially after seeing that it's been fixed in the PC patch.

While I appreciate people are a little annoyed that they can only view the 3d match engine in low detail, at least they can still use it.

When I try to view a match with the 3d on, it crashes not only FM buy my whole machine. This is totally unacceptable especially when not only was it fixed in the PC patch but we had to wait an extra 5 days for the privilege of it not working!

I appreciate it may be different and potentially more difficult to fix on the Mac, but it doesn't make it any easier to take that I have bought a game knowing I had sufficient system spec to play it and a pretty large feature does not work as advertised.

The rest of my spec is:

MacBook

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz

2gb RAM

OS X 10.5.5 with all updates

This is the problem I am having and the main thing I was waiting for the patch for - especially after seeing that it's been fixed in the PC patch.

While I appreciate people are a little annoyed that they can only view the 3d match engine in low detail, at least they can still use it.

When I try to view a match with the 3d on, it crashes not only FM buy my whole machine. This is totally unacceptable especially when not only was it fixed in the PC patch but we had to wait an extra 5 days for the privilege of it not working!

I appreciate it may be different and potentially more difficult to fix on the Mac, but it doesn't make it any easier to take that I have bought a game knowing I had sufficient system spec to play it and a pretty large feature does not work as advertised.

I agree, but there have been issues with the Mac OS and the integrated Intel graphics cards all along, not only with FM. When I bought my MacBook a year ago, even with the Intel X3100 graphics card, several apps with 3D graphics crashed my computer completely, even though their Windows equivalents would run fine under Parallels on the exact same computer. Eventually a fix came out for the X3100, but it seems the GMA 950 is beyond hope in that regard. I have to say I'm inclined to blame Apple more than SI for this one, although that doesn't really help anyone either...

I agree, but there have been issues with the Mac OS and the integrated Intel graphics cards all along, not only with FM. When I bought my MacBook a year ago, even with the Intel X3100 graphics card, several apps with 3D graphics crashed my computer completely, even though their Windows equivalents would run fine under Parallels on the exact same computer. Eventually a fix came out for the X3100, but it seems the GMA 950 is beyond hope in that regard. I have to say I'm inclined to blame Apple more than SI for this one, although that doesn't really help anyone either...

Yes I partly agree. However if it's a long-running known issue then would it not have been more prudent of SI to not support it or at least mention it in the system requirements?

Maybe I could use it as an excuse to upgrade to one of the new MacBooks! Not sure the wife would see it that way though :)

Yes I partly agree. However if it's a long-running known issue then would it not have been more prudent of SI to not support it or at least mention it in the system requirements?

It actually says so in the manual. Of course, the manual also tells you it will work with PPC and Tiger... :)

You could try shopping for a used MacBook and might even get a couple of hundre quid for your old one, so I say go for it... :)

It actually says so in the manual. Of course, the manual also tells you it will work with PPC and Tiger... :)

You could try shopping for a used MacBook and might even get a couple of hundre quid for your old one, so I say go for it... :)

Where / what does it say in the manual? Sorry at work at the moment and don't have access to the manual.

I'm pretty happy with the MacBook I have now - it's only 18th months old and runs everything else fine - including some 3d games!

I just want an excuse to get one of the brand-spanking new aluminium style MacBooks with the NVIDIA graphics processor! :D

Where / what does it say in the manual? Sorry at work at the moment and don't have access to the manual.

Don't have it here either, but it's on page 3 or 4 under system requirements. GMA 950 is listed as minimum but with a footnote stating it won't run 3D.

Boo! That's terrible. I know it's a piece of crap but for what the 3d match engine needs to do I find it surprising you can't even run the 3d on low.

Is this also stated on the back of the box?

Thanks for your help btw ;)

Hey man,

Nice work, I was playin on Tiger and I've downloaded the patch which hence, crashed my game!

I'm just wondering if there is word from SI about whether or not they are bringing a fresh patch out for tiger or am i wasting my time trawlling through these forums for an answer!

Would love a reply,

Cheers

Boo! That's terrible. I know it's a piece of crap but for what the 3d match engine needs to do I find it surprising you can't even run the 3d on low.

Is this also stated on the back of the box?

Thanks for your help btw ;)

Don't think it's on the back of the box, no.

I just cant understand why the game ran fine, pre-patch, for me anyway the only issue was the injury crisis crippling my season. Can they not work a simple patch that fix the simple, obvious problems, without delving into the graphics issues! My chipset, (GMA 950) wont run the 3D and i'm fine with that! I'm sure there is thousands of people in my situation! :(

ive got a macbook OSX (apparently)

ive downloaded and the mac patch but still no joy

any ideas???? the game crashes with the usual right click etc when i go to play a match.

im useless on a laptop at the best of times so any help would be hugely appreciated

If you've installed the patch, then the ctrl-click issue should be resolved. Are you sure you installed the game and the patch at the same location? You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the game (and the patch).

If the game crashes when you go to a matc (regardless of ctrl-click or not) then it's most likely a graphics card issue. Try switching off 3D in the preferences and see if that helps.

one last question.

so i reinstall the mac patch from the forum

i download it in 'opera' (it only takes about 10 mins)

where do i copy the patch to?or does it transfer automatically onto the game?

appreciate the help.

- Double click the file that's downloaded.

- Double click the new file in the window that appears.

- Follow instructions.

OK, I.m having problems still. Every time I score (I have commentry only and goal highlights set) the replay crashes my game, regardless of whether im on 2d or 3d!! I get the message 'Array Out Of Bounds'

I followed ambolts advice to repair permissions and use leopard cache cleaner, but im still having the same problem! I really dont wanna play without any highlight content at all!!

I'm just wondering if there is word from SI about whether or not they are bringing a fresh patch out for tiger or am i wasting my time trawlling through these forums for an answer!

Would love a reply,

Cheers

Me too. If some SI guy has posted in a thread somewhere, it's not exactly that easy to find.

Has there been a clear answer from SI on whether or not they intend to make this game work on Tiger?

-giventofly.

one last question.

so i reinstall the mac patch from the forum

i download it in 'opera' (it only takes about 10 mins)

where do i copy the patch to?or does it transfer automatically onto the game?

appreciate the help.

You don't need to copy the file you downloaded anywhere. Where ever it downloads to, goto that location in a finder window and double click the file to open the package. A window will open with the contents of the package. If it doesn't then look in the "Devices" section in your finder window for "FM2009 v9.1.0 Patch" and single click it. Inside the package should be a file called "FM2009 v9.1.0 Patch.pkg". Double click that file to run it and follow the instruction it gives you. If it asks you to tell it where FM is installed it will be something like /Applications/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/.

Once the installation is complete, load up the game and click either the "Credits" or "Preferences" button in the bottom right of the screen. At the very top of the next screen it will tell you the version number (under where it says Football Manager 2009 in big writting). This should read "Version 9.1" and not "Version 9.0".

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info!http://community.sigames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm in the same situation, I have GMA 950 with macbook. Do you know if it works under parallels with windows runing?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Ricardo

Original Post - there seems to be a lot of 'Slip Ups' from SI surrounding this whole game!!!

What we Tiger users simply want is a post / thread from anyone at SI that can give some Clarity on these slip ups!!! I.e. Yes it will work on OSX with the patch (we are working on it) OR No it won't work and we have no intention of trying to make it work.

Anything from SI on this issue - it is really getting beyond a joke as we are just being ignored

Thanks for the info!http://community.sigames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm in the same situation, I have GMA 950 with macbook. Do you know if it works under parallels with windows runing?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Ricardo

I haven't tried it but would have thought you would have been better off using boot-camp to run it through windows natively rather than through parallels emulation.

Archived