Free Role Option?

Basically, you are telling them that they do not need to respect the defensive and offensive positioning which would normally be specified by their position.

If they have great Anticipation, Decisions, and Off The Ball movement, they will tend to "show" to support the player with the ball. Combined with a Playmaker instruction to that player (which encourages other players to look to him), you will route your offense through him.

If he also has great Teamwork, Creativity, and Passing, and you give him high Creative Freedom, he should then go on to find some excellent passes.

In defense, however, he may elect not to mark up, track back, etc. (He may instead look to sneak into space so that he is available when your team regains possession.) That's why you would want to select a very offense-minded player for this Free Role.

Unfortunately, that can leave gaps in your defense - but he will follow your instructions for defending set pieces.

If he has high Work Rate, Teamwork, and Positioning, he's much more likely to try and get involved defensively - especially if you have his Mentality fairly central and have him lined up as an MC instead of as an AMC.

I tend to play with one up-front so the support man just behind is the playmaker and is in a free role. Not sure I would use it if I had 2 up front as that would leave a one less in midfield playing for the team but I am sure someone somewhere makes it work.

Archived