I won't be buying FM 09

I've played footie manager for over 10 years (including the CM series) before switching over to FM with the collyer boys.

This is the first time that the game hasn't been able to load and my computer is only a year and a half old.

I fear that FM have over done the technical requirement aspect this time and that I am not the only one unable to play the game.

Inevitably this will cost FM thousands of pounds and lose lots of lifelong customers not just this year but for years to come.

How about issuing a reduced technical spec version FM?

Is your computer under spec, or are you having technical problems getting the game to load?

Hi Matt

Same problem as many of the other posters.

I just get the flashing L when loading up the demo.

I've downloaded the latest version Direct X as advised in the technical help and I have tried downloading from Steam as an alternative but still no success.

My graphics card is only 64Mb RAM and I guess that this is why my computer can't handle the increased technical requirements of the game. This is the first time in all ten years that this has occurred and I have had far older computers in the past.

I just feel sorry for the majority of people that don't have a computer less than a year old as we can't play the game!

I'll just have to wait until I can afford another repalcement computer with a better graphics card which is not likely to be for a couple of years.

I am 28 and probably getting too old for management anyhow!

My zenith came in FM 07/08 when I won the European cup with Huddersfield and brought Andy Booth on as a sub in the final when we beat Roma. Happy days!

Hmmm.

Keep an eye out for the patched demo as we're improving compatibility all the time. You're definitely under spec and my only recommendation would be to investigate where and how - new GFX cards are not super-expensive nowadays, at least not to get to FM's minimum.

Afraid I can't share your affection for Andy Booth, but I can wish you all the best. I'm 33 - you're never too old...;)

Hmmm.

Keep an eye out for the patched demo as we're improving compatibility all the time. You're definitely under spec and my only recommendation would be to investigate where and how - new GFX cards are not super-expensive nowadays, at least not to get to FM's minimum.

Afraid I can't share your affection for Andy Booth, but I can wish you all the best. I'm 33 - you're never too old...;)

Will do - thanks for the prompt response.

Have a good evening.

Steve

It doesn't really matter though if you bought the computer a year ago, when the graphics card appears to be 'worse' than mine (at least in memory, mine has 256mb) which is part of my computer from pre-milennium time. ;) (I bet nobody has such an old computer as mine anymore, yay me)

I feel your pain though as I can't start the game either.

What I don't understand is why I can play Grand Theft Auto San Andreas on my computer, yet cannot get the 3d to work in this game that the demo won't even start while it doesn't look nearly as if it would put high demands on the video card.

I agree that the 3D engine doesn't seem to be optimized for performance at all. On my laptop I'm forced to run FM on the lower quality, while Pro Evolution runs better (?!) on medium quality - I'm still trying to figure that one out. I guess SI's priority was to put out a 3D engine no matter what for this version, then focus on optimising its performance and looks for the next couple of years.

But the game isn't asking for anything unreasonable, all games ask for good graphic cards. I just gave a quick look to an online store and a 512MB card is going by 57 euros, it's not like you need to buy a full computer for it.

How old your computer is really has nothing to do with the issue, it's a question of it's specs. With a 64mb graphics card you've got no chance of running this 3d engine, or many other games now. I have to say that you either got royally screwed buying a machine so recently with only a 64mb graphics card, or unfortunately, if you knew what you were buying, then this is a situation of your own making.

How old your computer is really has nothing to do with the issue, it's a question of it's specs. With a 64mb graphics card you've got no chance of running this 3d engine, or many other games now. I have to say that you either got royally screwed buying a machine so recently with only a 64mb graphics card, or unfortunately, if you knew what you were buying, then this is a situation of your own making.

I was thinking the same thing reading the OP...

My PC cost around £800 brand new about 2 years ago (actually closer to 3 really) and while it has a cruddy gfx card by todays comparisons it more than matches the minimum required for FM09

To have bought a PC a year and a half ago with a 64MB card (i didnt even know they still existed!!) was a touch silly tbh, unless you never intended to play any games on it of course, but judging by how you are here that is not the case.

And if the GFX card is your only issue, you can get budget cards which will run FM09 without to much hassle for about £30 or £40 nowadays, not ideal i know but nevertheless a solution.

I have a graphics card having only 64 meg in my IBM Thinkpad boughtin 2005. It is a ATI Radeon X300 I think. The key is the Pixel Shader optiions on the 3D, needs to be version 2.0 . My response is very acceptable playing 3D. I was dubious but very happy as it is a liitle hard to upgrade the GFX card in a laptop (I did just upgrade my desktop to a Quad Duo, Q9400, 3 Gig, 512 GFX card as a backup as my desktop 64 med GFXcard was not able to play 2D)

I bumped up the RAM to 2Gig, downloaded the .net frameworks and the DirectX SDK. I have to think that the full version seems to play a little bit quicker than demo.

There was a site that you can query that showed the pixel info. You entered the game and it told you if you could play it. I go seaching and edit this post.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com

select CAN I RUN IT

Check out game like FIFA 08 or a few of the others of same genre (FEAR PC) and look at Video

Video Card

Minimum: 64 MB video card (NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti+ / ATI Radeon 9000+) with Monitor that can display 4:3 aspect ratio [not analyzed here]

You Have: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS (GeForce 9500 GS)

PASS

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required - 64 MB , You have - 1.7 GB

Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes

Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - Yes

Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 1.0 , You have - 4.0

Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.3 , You have - 4.0

However you should be able to play the 2D even if you are below the minimum spec's and if you are a simulation freak, you are going to be playing 2D anyway.

Sames as the OP I won't be buying FM 09 either. It seems too overwhelmingly complicated to me and I still prefer some of the earlier versions (although I certainly won't mind the 3D view!).

How about giving an option in the game to play it in "simple" mode (a la CM01/02, text-based, less control over training, less media interaction, less details in tactics, etc.) - this way it may also solve the technical requirements problem as the game will require less memory and processing power.

Sames as the OP I won't be buying FM 09 either. It seems too overwhelmingly complicated to me and I still prefer some of the earlier versions (although I certainly won't mind the 3D view!).

How about giving an option in the game to play it in "simple" mode (a la CM01/02, text-based, less control over training, less media interaction, less details in tactics, etc.) - this way it may also solve the technical requirements problem as the game will require less memory and processing power.

I have now found a demo patch here:

http://www.lespacio.com/fm2009.php

I am just waiting for my 3rd download to play the demo now!

I too would prefer a simpler version update.

Cheers

Steve

Guys, I can understand, how are you feeling, beein unable to play our favourite game, but you must accept that everything on this earth is developing, and with the computer things, we have a development every second, every minute. My idea is that, we can not expect a good game to work in 2009 with 64mb graphics card. SI are just developing their game, and we ourselves must laso do it with our machines:)

Cheers, hope you will solve the problems soon, and will play this fantastic game :)

Archived