Show onto foot?

What happens when I show someone on the right foot? If a left winger gets the ball and wants to run forward, where does the defender appear when he shows onto the right foot? See picture:

show_foot.jpg

Is it appearing on the right side of the winger, forcing the winger to go outside, or is it appearing on the left side of the winger and forcing him to the inside?

It doesn't work exactly like that as player positioning depends on where the player is heading (if you look at the 2D the location of the ball next to the blob reveals it) but in general the left side picture is 'Show onto left foot' and the right side picture is 'Show onto right foot'.

My sketches assume the intention of forward motion.

So, showing onto X foot means: make opposing player move to X, relative from the direction he is going right now. Which means that if the same player was making a lateral run towards the middle, showing onto left foot would make him go left (thus forwards) while showing onto right foot would make him go right (thus backwards)

Thanks for the quick reply!

My sketches assume the intention of forward motion.

So, showing onto X foot means: make opposing player move to X, relative from the direction he is going right now. Which means that if the same player was making a lateral run towards the middle, showing onto left foot would make him go left (thus forwards) while showing onto right foot would make him go right (thus backwards)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Haven't looked at it in detail on 09 but if that does happen post back as it really shouldn't. I would hope the player maintains his goalside position regardless of show onto foot instructions in that hypothetical. In any case the nature of how that plays out will generally make it impossible for the defending player to actually get to that show onto foot position.

Archived