Strikers how to get them involved

Same problem for me, and Im trying to use the 'rule of one' as well - I think that frame work needs some tweaking for FM 09 as far as forwards are concerned.

Are your midfielders running out of condition too? Seems accelerated for those positions for me (central and wingers) - I struggle to get them lasting a whole match.

This should probably be in the tactics forum.

I have two tactics depending on which style I'm playing:

For my flowing fotoball, I have one striker on default attacking mentality (right in the middle of the bar) who has decent passing and use him as a link up striker with a lot of creativity and throughballs set to often. The other striker set to the fast striker default settings.

For my "hoof it up the field" tactic, I have both strikers on 5 notches of attack, and a team mentality to aim for them as target men with "run onto ball" with a fast direct style of play, so I hoof it up the field for them to run on to.

Same issue here. Its interesting, but the slower players play better.... I think my strikers are too ahead of the midfield, when my team gets the ball they run too far in front. Slower players seem to be more effective, probably because they don't get too far away!

I had this problem for ages with barca, after watching loads of full matches in 3d. My strikers only got the ball in 2vs4/5 situations, meaning they'd generally try long shots. What fixed this was to change their mentality to one below the wingers, set a target man, with one winger aiming crosses to head and the other to feet. Also set the more creative striker freedom to high with short passing.

This meant my strikers weren't so close to the opposing defenders, the target man would lay balls off too the creative player who would on turn feed the ball out to the wingers or play 1-2's with the target man. This tip is actually in game, try the left footed striker on the right and the right footer on the left :)

I am currently playing 4-5-1 due to a glut of useful midfielders and an extreme shortage of strikers (money is tight in Portuguese Div 2 :-) Really controlling the balance of play, but if the opposition starts soaking up my pressure, I'll sub out the poorer performing CM of the three and bring in my backup striker as I switch to a standard 4-4-2.

I use a different mentality for both of them, so I have one at around 12 and the other around 15. I've come to accept that if I'm up against a good team and having to defend a lot, the striker further up the pitch will be lucky to have a 6+ rating, but he's still important for any counter-attacks we have.

should we really have to read war & peace just to win a match in a computer game?

I've started 3 or 4 games so far and trying anything 'normal' results in getting gubbed most games. The only team I've had any success with is athletic miniero, and only then because I didn't change the tactics they had set up when I took them over.

should we really have to read war & peace just to win a match in a computer game?

I've started 3 or 4 games so far and trying anything 'normal' results in getting gubbed most games. The only team I've had any success with is athletic miniero, and only then because I didn't change the tactics they had set up when I took them over.

It is more of a simulation than a game. It tries to simulate real life so basic tactics won't always get results. I believe the best tactics are the ones built for your team rather than the other way around. Find the strengths and weaknesses and build a base tactic from there.

I have found changing the individual tactics for your forwards so one is a link up striker and the other is a last man striker is the best way to get goals, unless of course you are going for route one.

Rhetorical questions and sarcasm are obviously lost on some people.

Are they really?Are they really?

LOL, no kidding...

I truly don't understand how people complain about this game in this fashion and compare it to other games. "Should I have to read a tome?" Well, if you're a tactical genius and know football in and out, then probably not.

This is *not* any other game. It is a very detailed and challenging football simulation, and despite the difficulties, they do a pretty bang-up job of getting the feel and the challenge right, giving the user a taste of managing big-time football.

If you want to just punch up a 4-4-2 and watch the action go by, then FIFA 09 or PES is for you.

If you look at other simulation type games, whether on computer or table top, etc., you'll see that the successful practitioners invest a lot of time off the table, away from the computer, preparing, learning history, strategy, and esp. game mechanics.

FM is not *just* a game. It is a simulation, and a simulation designed to give you all the reality possible from your desk. So reading a 50 page tome, with which wwfan and millie have done a superb job, is really not that much of an investment into the enjoyment of a pretty darn good simulation...

My strikers never seem involved, they never really score and when presented a chance always miss, they never get match ratings above 7 and its really annoying me how do i get the best out of my strikers.

My strikers are on performance enhancing drugs so they score a combined 90 goals a season

Archived