Midfield completely hopeless with the ball

Despite having some pretty good midfielders, a short, slow passing game my midfield are absolutely woeful on the ball. My side are creating 1 to 2 long rang chances at best a game, and are struggling to do anything at all to help, they only give the ball away to the opposition.

4 games into my second season, and my 2 goals have come from a defender punting a long ball up and boa morte getting on the end of it and scoring.

My midfielders are Ljunberg, Boa Morte, Diao and Alberto (from Albacete) I could do with a recommended structure and perhaps some settings to use for them.

Another problem I'm having is, when my strikers get the ball, rather than run through that opening in the middle (I'm playing narrow with little creative freedom) they go right out wide and try to cross the ball even though I've set them to cross rarely. In the last game my striker went down the wing and played 4 crosses, not one went to anyone, 2 times there was a huge opening through the middle he should have been running down, why?

Archived