Tactics not as good not as much you can do with them!!!!!!!!

I used to love this tactic 4-1-2-1-2 but i used to have my 2 strikers pushing out to the wings but now it wont let be put arrows sidewards and it has ruined that tactic is there a way you can do it. and also i used to put an arrow on my rm and lm right to the touch line but now you can only put the arrow half way . is there a way you can do it?

Arrows have been removed as most people were misunderstanding them - forward/back arrows now only represent the forward runs slider setting (often/rarely, respectively).

Most arrows used to indicate a player having two positions - one for when the team was in possession, and when the team was not. The player would charge from one to another irrespective of what was happening in the game when possession changed hands - note: this is not a forward run, it is a mad, blind charge. Without arrows, the match engine suddenly plays like real football much more...

Side arrows indicated that a player should play midway between two positions, if I remember correctly. So a player at an MR position side arrow to ML would play at MC. Completely non-sensical and very open to abuse. SI are looking in future to add in what realistic functionality needs to be included, but in the meantime I'd suggest using the width slider to try and achieve this - and maybe try training up the 'runs into channels' ppm for your strikers, or something similar?

One thing is certain - the arrows are not coming back, and the match engine is the better for it.

Comparing tactics in 08 to 09 this is what you had...

08 - Arrows were extremely effective. Every other slider seemed ineffective. It kind of looked like football.

09 - No arrows. Every other slider works as you would expect. The match engine plays like the real thing.

In short, we have gained an entire tactics system and a proper simulation of football for the loss of one element.

If you stop trying to simulate FM08 and start trying to simulate football, you will see how much better the match engine and tactics really are.

Comparing tactics in 08 to 09 this is what you had...

08 - Arrows were extremely effective. Every other slider seemed ineffective. It kind of looked like football.

09 - No arrows. Every other slider works as you would expect. The match engine plays like the real thing.

In short, we have gained an entire tactics system and a proper simulation of football for the loss of one element.

If you stop trying to simulate FM08 and start trying to simulate football, you will see how much better the match engine and tactics really are.

Totally agree. Tactically, I can really see what's happening. The 3D view has already allowed me to correct a couple of mistakes that in 08 might have cost me the match - simply because the match is presented better.

Appreciate the answer Super Bladesman; have to agree that it has made the football on show much more realistic. So much so that if i switch over to 3D i find myself making zero changes during a game due to feeling like i should be watching instead of managing. Until i learn to stop enjoying the matches and start managing them its 2D classic for me.

PPMs is a clever way of tailoring players subtely to suit a certain system, training up on a skill that will benefit the team. (numerous real life examples of this are there for all to see; Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard etc...)

Oh my god this game has consumed my life.

Archived