Good Arsenal-like 442

So here's what I've done for Arsenal...

Team Instructions- starting with everything centered...

Mentality: 6 ticks to the right

Creative Fr: 4 ticks to the right

Passing Style: 4 ticks to the left

Tempo: 6 ticks to the left

Width: 4 ticks to the left

Closing Down: 2 ticks to the right

Time Wasting: 4 ticks to the left

Defensive Line: 2 ticks to the right

Tackling: Centered

Focus Passing: Mixed

Marking: Zonal

nothing else ticked.

Individual Instructions: (leave default team unless noted)

Fullbacks

Forward Runs: Often

Run with Ball: Often

Long Shots: Rarely

Through Balls: Often

Cross Ball: Mixed

Cross From: Byline

Centerbacks-

Mentality: 2 ticks right

Creative Freedom: Centered

Passing Style: Centered

Closing Down: 4 ticks left

Tackling: Hard

Forward Runs: Mixed

Run with Ball: Rarely (though sometimes I go mixed here)

Through Balls: Mixed

Cross Ball: Rarely

Marking: Man

Tight Marking: Yes

Mid Right/Left-

Creative Freedom: Maxed to the right

Closing down: Centered

Tackling: Easy

Run with Ball: Often

Free Role ticked on both

Defensive Mid-

Mentality: 4 ticks to the right

Creative Freedom: 2 ticks to the right

Passing Style: 2 ticks to the left

Closing Down: 2 ticks to the left

Forward Runs: Rarely

Run With Ball: Mixed

Attacking Mid-

Creative Freedom: Maxed to the right

Run With Ball: Often

Long Shots: Mixed

Free Role ticked

Linking Forward-

Forward Runs: Rarely

Run With Ball: Mixed

Attacking Striker-

Mentality: Maxed to the right

Creative Fr: Maxed to the right

Passing Style: 6 ticks to the left

Closing Down: 2 ticks to the left

Through Balls: Mixed

It works out pretty well, with lots of quick passing, cutting into the middle and goals inside the box... I do get annoyed that they make the extra pass too often, but hey, that's Arsenal for ya.

Also, I should note that I've also used it with Crewe and just unticked all the free rolers, unless their creativity and decision making are 12's... worked well there. When the demo ran out, Crewe was 2 points from the playoff zone.

looks very nice mate, just a couple of typo's.

4 ticks to the right on the defensive midfielder so you have him attacking?

Also on the Attacking Striker you've posted conflicting nstructions.

Could you maybe upload the tactic pls.

I'll try in a few when I get home. However, I know the def mid was 4 to the right, as the team is 6 to the right. the two central defenders are 2 to the right, so it's the old 'law-of-two's'... i forget where i got that, wwfan? anyhoo. i think the attacking striker is an out-and-out attack-minded player. so his closing down might seem low, but i just want him hugging the centerbacks and not worrying about challenging on the oppositions third.

It's working pretty well at the moment, though the strikers are blowing hot and cold. Mostly cold though!

Easy tackling for the attacking players seem to have opened them up quite a bit, they are creating a lot more chances, and seem to move around more fluidly. Credit to you, the defence doesn't seem to suffer. Clean sheets all around!

I changed the cross ball option for the attacking midfielders to 'mixed', seems to add a bit more dimension to their game. Can't pass the ball into the net everytime :D

I'm just waiting for someone to release a solid tactic that doesn't just work with the easy teams.

I started a game with Arsenal and I can seemingly cruise the league (got to Christmas) just using the standard 442 formation.

The real trick is doing well in the lower leagues.

Wakers: I used this tactic with Crewe on the demo, and was 2 points below the playoff line with the least conceded in the league and 2nd most goals (I started off rough the first 5 matches with 1 draw and 4 losses, but kicked butt after that).

The only thing I did differently was removing the 'free role' ticks for the wingers.

Amongus: My only goal here was to emulate the real life Arsenal... if I use this tactic with another team, I'll definately set some crossing up, but I like that the team is trying to dribble into the net every posession. Kinda fun to watch.

One other bonus with Arsenal is that by setting the CB's to mixed Forw Runs you get Gallas and Toure to sneak up like in real life.

I do. For aways, I move the mentality of everyone down three-four notches. I've sometimes even moved the two wingers into central roles, and the defensive midfielder back into the slot between the defensive line and midfielders... so into a 4132 without changing any instructions.

Jinli: To me the linking forward is the am/fc type of guy with some good creativity and passing and most importantly first touch. The Attacking striker is the out-and-out goal scorer with finishing and composure with loads of speed.

I put the opposing wingers to weaker foot, and close them down. The strikers and fullbacks get weaker foot. And if there is a super talented by not-so-big center mid I'll tackle them hard. Any Def Mid gets closed down and tackled hard- mostly out of principle for me. No worries about taking him down when he's 30-40y from the goal.

how realistic is this new fm from all your experiences? Does the computer set their team to attack more at home and defend away like in real life? do you have to spend hours before every game setting tactics and opposition insctructions?

Jinli: To me the linking forward is the am/fc type of guy with some good creativity and passing and most importantly first touch. The Attacking striker is the out-and-out goal scorer with finishing and composure with loads of speed.

I put the opposing wingers to weaker foot, and close them down. The strikers and fullbacks get weaker foot. And if there is a super talented by not-so-big center mid I'll tackle them hard. Any Def Mid gets closed down and tackled hard- mostly out of principle for me. No worries about taking him down when he's 30-40y from the goal.

Btw i am using Everton

Linking Forward, i use Anichebe and it work wonder as he head the ball and give it to the attacking striker and at time he score too!.

Attacking Striker, i use Yakubu/Saha/Vaughan

i will take note of the OI you have given as i have not used any OI yet :p

The only problem is tat i keep leaking goal most of the time by winning 4-3/2-2/3-3 and so on :X dun know what the problem with my def man.

Archived