Need some serious help...

I need some help. As is usual with every new FM I find myself totally lost with the tactical side of the game.

I have set up 3 differing tactics (using 442) on a RoO basis. In line with recommendations from TT&F.

I find however that my team are inconsistant in performance and in carrying out the instructions that they have been given.

Sometimes (according to my assistant) we struggle with short passes, other times he recommends we keep to a short passing game etc. I feel like the system is contradictory and it's making this aspect of the game far from enjoyable.

Also my team seem to disobey my instructions, for example when playing with the attacking version of my tactics my goalkeeper will quite often kick the ball long, despite being set on distribute to defence and a creative freedom of 5. Every game it appears that he is 'misplacing a lot of is passes straight to the opposition'.

On top of all this my assistant ALWAYS has a list of at least 2 instructions on OI during the game. Sometimes I feel that it would be easier just to set all the oppositions players to Close Down often / Tackle hard / show onto weeker foot before the game begins as I seem to spend the entire game changing these settings. I feel I am being very reactive and not proactive. Also I feel as if even though we might be the better team I am being told to use instructions for the sake of it. Just once or twice I'd like to see 'We are well on top of this game, the opposition cannot cope with us, there is no need to change anything'. Although maybe this will happen if the tactic is spot on.

I have provided links to my three tactical set ups in case one of the resisdant tactical genius' feels the need to take a look. Any hepl that can be given will be appreciated. For the record I have read TT&F and used the TT&F wizad to give me the settings for the team.

442 Attacking

442 Defensive

442 Standard

There might not be anyone short to pass it too, with his passing settings, the LB and RB will probably be too far, so he ends up booting it instead of risking a bad pass.

Did you buy alot of new players at the start of a season, there was another thread where someone said the team wasnt looking right at the start of the season, and he had 10 new players on the field, with only 3 or so able to speak english.

On the OI, i dont change them often, and i went the EPL season undefeated, I do react to the enemy change in formations, or man mark there players who are doing well, or adjust my own formation to counter. It is football, theres not 1 team, theres 2. You have to be reactive. Rafa Benitez must make about 50 alterations a game, and you always see managers screaming at players, its a simulation game. You need to do likewise.

There might not be anyone short to pass it too, with his passing settings, the LB and RB will probably be too far, so he ends up booting it instead of risking a bad pass.

My team is set up on Rule of One, so the defensive metality is only 1 click from the goalkeeper, although I guess the defensive line may be pushed up to far.

Did you buy alot of new players at the start of a season, there was another thread where someone said the team wasnt looking right at the start of the season, and he had 10 new players on the field, with only 3 or so able to speak english.

I have 1 new player, and he's only played 1 game.

On the OI, i dont change them often, and i went the EPL season undefeated, I do react to the enemy change in formations, or man mark there players who are doing well, or adjust my own formation to counter. It is football, theres not 1 team, theres 2. You have to be reactive. Rafa Benitez must make about 50 alterations a game, and you always see managers screaming at players, its a simulation game. You need to do likewise.

I understand the need to be reactive to a point, it just seems that by the end of the game my assistant has at some point indentified every opposition player as being dangerous (even when playing much inferior teams). I was wondering if it was my tactics.

Thanks for the suggestions, made me think about a couple of things

ok, bit of an update. I have tweaked my tactics slightly and my team are playing quite well. Is anyone able to provide insight on how best to get into the box as most of my shots seem to be from 20 yards, which makes great viewing when they go in, but make goals less likely.

ok, bit of an update. I have tweaked my tactics slightly and my team are playing quite well. Is anyone able to provide insight on how best to get into the box as most of my shots seem to be from 20 yards, which makes great viewing when they go in, but make goals less likely.

Getting the ball wide helps ALOT in this regard. It seems very easy to get up on the flanks,

I use a LM, but not a RM, i get my RB to get forward into his position.

The LM and RB are putting in tons of crosses a game, my RB got 14 assists in the EPL.

In regards to the above, though your defender isnt too far mentaly, as you said, your DL might be high, but also the defenders creative freedom too low,

So because his mentality is low, and his creative freedom, he doesnt want to receive the ball from the GK, and since the GK creative and mentality is also low, he doesnt want to short pass it, basicaly there both too worried, so they boot it.

As you stated earlier, i find playing a short passing game is too hard with how skilled defenders are, especially the AI's.

I need some help. As is usual with every new FM I find myself totally lost with the tactical side of the game.

I have set up 3 differing tactics (using 442) on a RoO basis. In line with recommendations from TT&F.

I find however that my team are inconsistant in performance and in carrying out the instructions that they have been given.

Sometimes (according to my assistant) we struggle with short passes, other times he recommends we keep to a short passing game etc. I feel like the system is contradictory and it's making this aspect of the game far from enjoyable.

Also my team seem to disobey my instructions, for example when playing with the attacking version of my tactics my goalkeeper will quite often kick the ball long, despite being set on distribute to defence and a creative freedom of 5. Every game it appears that he is 'misplacing a lot of is passes straight to the opposition'.

On top of all this my assistant ALWAYS has a list of at least 2 instructions on OI during the game. Sometimes I feel that it would be easier just to set all the oppositions players to Close Down often / Tackle hard / show onto weeker foot before the game begins as I seem to spend the entire game changing these settings. I feel I am being very reactive and not proactive. Also I feel as if even though we might be the better team I am being told to use instructions for the sake of it. Just once or twice I'd like to see 'We are well on top of this game, the opposition cannot cope with us, there is no need to change anything'. Although maybe this will happen if the tactic is spot on.

NO GENERALLY THE aSS MAN COMPLAINS WHAT EVER TACTIC YOU USE. I WON A FRIENDLY 8-0 AND HE WAS STILL MOANING. GO WITH WHAT YOU FEEL, ALSO DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TAKE PLAYERS OFF AT HALF TIME WHO ARE UNDERPERFORMING I DO IT WORKS WELL.

I have provided links to my three tactical set ups in case one of the resisdant tactical genius' feels the need to take a look. Any hepl that can be given will be appreciated. For the record I have read TT&F and used the TT&F wizad to give me the settings for the team.

442 Attacking

442 Defensive

442 Standard

Morning Celtic

I have found we can get too bogged down with the TT&F and to that end I reverted to an old tactic that served me well on FM2007 and FM2008. I have used in FM 2009 demo and F/Game with Man C and Leeds to great succes so i ignore the TT&F section and go with gut feeling, I have attached 2 versions of the same tactic for uour use please feel free to tweak as required, also see my post (tactic 4-1-2-1-2), you will see that several people have tried it and had the same success I have, hope it helps.

http://www.filepanda.com/file/mutfgjeh5pfj/

http://www.filepanda.com/file/oaryq1jcvhlj/

Archived