player ratings

This new rating system is an absolute shocker, its absolutely terrible. Before it was easy to know who had played well/badly because the ratings were clear. Now the decimal system has destroyed it.

Im constantly getting 6.x for certain players even if they get an assist/goal and i win by a few goals. Im totally at a loss about who i should drop because on this system i could drop 4 or 5 of my players (based on the rating)

Is there any way this could be fixed in a patch or something?

best way to look at it, in my opinion anyway is the old 10 rating seems to be a 9 now. The old 9 rating an 8. The ratings do not go up as quickly just because he banged in 2 goals it doesnt meant he might not have been losing the ball often via passes or dribble attempts. It tends to look at that a lot more now ive noticed whereas in the past if you brought on a striker for 10 mins and he gets a brace he would get a rating of 8 probably with 2 touches now he would probably just get a 7. The rest comes from general play and its better like that, for me anyway.

Surely it is not beyond the mental capacity to work out that a high-scoring six is better than a low scoring six! Once you get used to the game you will be able to easily realise what is a good performance and what is an unacceptable performance, and you will probably like it. I think it's a fantastic little improvement and can't see why people complain about more detail!

Actually the rating system has been shocking for years & has no resembalence to what is going on. In fairness the system in this years game is an improvement on what has gone before.

As to the person who says I don't know who to drop anymore with the ratings. Don't you ever watch what is going on & make a decison on this. I never care what ratings are in a game & will make a substitution on who I feel is playing well, whether they have the highest or lowest rating.

I'm getting used to the system, but some of the ratings are a bit wierd.

I just had a match where one player gave the ball away in midfield with simple passes, once when we should have had an attack, but he passed squarely to an opposition defender, and once where he passed it backwards to an opposition midfielder leading directly to them scoring the winning goal.

He got rated as 7.1...

Its pretty easy to work it out. Its not even a new system its just a more accurate system. I would imagine the old match engine did this to, however it was just rounded to a whole number on the screen.

My only issue is the assistant manager feedback.....blah blah is getting skinned all to often. Then they have a rating of 9.

One makes you think you should remove the player, the other keep him. The assistant should say things like.

Blah Blah is getting skinned all to often, other than this is having a great game.

Hobgob.

But this method is just complicating a easy system, the previous system was totally fine and has served well for years. There was absolutely no need to change it.

It is something you get used to very quickly. The thought of whole number ratings now makes my stomach churn; they really are better at representing the player's true performance.

I like the new system (after an initial negative reaction), but that doesn't help you, so here are some ideas:

Learn to judge it against the old system. In old money a 6 rating would be between 5.5 and 6.4. For a while that translation will seem like hard work, but eventually it becomes worth it.

Consider these four scenarios, all of which would show the player on a six rating throughout the majority of the match in FM2008 and before.

1. Defoe is on 6.2 in the first half and 6.4 in the second. He is one step from an old style 7 and that would be enough to leave him on the pitch in the previous games. He had a sticky start, but now he is making a good contribution, even if he is not scoring. If you consider it is an average rating, then his second half performance is actually considerably better.

2. Defoe is again on a 6.2 in the first half and nothing is changing in the second half. In fact it has not changed the whole match. In old money it is a 6, except this time I know it's going to take a goal to change it. The overall contribution is not enough, so I have a choice as to whether to try someone else, or hope that he produces one moment of magic in an otherwise poor to average performance.

3. This time the rating has fluctuated constantly - sometimes as high as 6.4, sometimes right down to 5.9 (again these would only show as 6 in older games). That means he is having moments of genuine threat, causing the rating to jump back up, but his overall play is poor. At some point I might lose patience, but if I can harness that potential, I can turn the threat into a goal.

4. Defoe starts at 6.4 and has dropped to 6.2, 6.1. and 6.0. He's not likely to get any better, so when he finally drops to 5.9 I know that I am wasting my time and it is time to bring a sub on.

None of this information was available to you before, he was on a 6 in all four scenarios and not budging, so if you can learn to interpret it then you will begin to realise the massive benefit.

One thing that I think would help immensely is if the ranges were colour coded as before, so that it changes at .5. I think this would make it easier to understand in relation to the old system and would make it clearer visually.

Archived