Multi Core support

Now its been a long time since I've posted on the forums - they look at hell of a lot different than I remember.

Anyway I got hold of my copy of fm 09 today and loaded it up all fine and dandy, Now that I am playing on powerful machine I'd thought I'd load up all the leagues/countries possible as it would of brought my old laptop to its knees. It caught my interest that its was taking its time to load - compared to what I was expecting. To my surprise it was only using one core.

So my question is why is there no multi core support? Both Intel and AMD's line is exculsively multi core chips(Phenom/Phenom 2 for AMD and Core 2/Core i7 for intel) and any pc you build or buy will have more than one core, it is also standard in nearly all games now.

Interestingly, problems with the threading code are what cause the random freezes that a lot of us are having problems/annoyances with. Who knows what else is wrong with the threading code, but this years version is definitely a lot clunkier and less responsive than last years, both in and out of games, when it really shouldn't be.

It won't make alot of difference. Basically Windows will compare the priority of the fm.exe to other processes with the same priority demanding cpu power.

It will only make a noticeable difference if you have another cpu hungry app loaded at the same time.

Not a good idea to use real time, may make Windows unresponsive.

It's clearly heavier on one core than another and the core loads fluctuate. This is true of both Dual and Quad core. As yet FM categorically does not make best use of either configuration. Fm will use whatever resources are available but the O/S is defning the loads rather than FM being coded to thread them.

Archived