Struggling majorly..

Not sure exactly what the point of this thread is. I guess I just want to see if anyone else has been in the same boat and how the dealt with it. But before anyone points me to the Training and Tactics forum, I'm not looking for tactical tips or training advice.

I'm late February of my first season with Inverness Caledonian Thistle and we're currently 9th. That's not too bad, but it doesn't tell the whole story. The thing is, I've only won one league match since October. One! I feel completely powerless. It's like nothing I try ever gets me anywhere.

I accept that when you manage Inverness CT, there's a good chance you'll struggle. I'm not actually complaining. It's just starting to get me down a bit. I'd like to win every now and then. Has anyone else ever gone on such a poor run? How do you deal with it (in a non-tactical sense)? Given that I don't see this changing any time soon, what's the best way for me to make sure I keep enjoying the game?

Hey, Mike, that's a great question.

I'm not sure what advice I can give you precisely, just know this - I went into March before recording my first win of the season with Vinogradar one season. ;)

I found it quite entertaining, actually - the constant struggle to keep morale up despite getting hammered on a regular basis, the tactical challenge of trying to play defensively enough to draw nil-nil without falling for the trap of sitting too deep and letting a superior team pound my goalkeeper into shell-shock.

Psychology will be very important to your results in this instance. When you're going through such a season, your team talks, media interaction, and press conferences will have a huge effect. You've got to walk a tightrope between expecting too much from your players, and creating a "culture of failure" where losing is acceptable.

Also, loans in can have a huge impact.

Beyond that, how do you keep yourself happy with such a game?

One suggestion I have is making sure to set your personal expectations: you know you aren't going to win every time out, so set yourself reasonable goals: progression in X Cup, holding Y big-club to a draw.

Find a way to share your misery - I think its seasons like this that gave the "Lower League Managers" forum a raison d'etere. It certainly improved my enjoyment of struggling at the bottom when I started writing a story for FMS.

Next, get emotionally attached to your players. Even if its as simple as "pick five of them", get a couple guys who are your personal favorites. Personally, I tend to get behind those determined veterans who keep giving their all even in a lost season, and the promising youth whom I want to see develop for two or three seasons down the line. Personality become important; you start seeing them as real people who are working hard for you.

Finally, start playing "Wait 'til next year": start taking actions with a long-range view .. maybe you'll be able to pick them up to 7th next season, and into the top six the following year. Since you're looking beyond the next match, you'll always have something to look forward to - and you'll start noticing upward trends in quality of play before they are reflected in results on the pitch.

So, I guess its, setting short-term, medium-term, and long-term goals for yourself .. maybe the short-term is pretty pathetic (get another draw!) ..

.. but I was over the moon when I got my first victory of the season after all that suffering!

Stick with it .. its worth it!

I'm kinda at that point too. Have played about a third of a season now. Started real well, won three or four on the bounce. Then all of a sudden I can't seem to score a goal.

I've tried not to tinker with the tactics too much and have managed to keep morale high among the players. The squad is terrible but then I am managing Redditch so I have to accept it.

Nearly lost in the FA qualfying round to a team not even in any of the game leagues. Considered resigning!!

I sometimes think I play the game for entertainment so maybe I should play a top team and be able to buy who I want and get some good results. But then I dont get quite as much satisfaction from that. I suppose thats the paradox.

Anyway changed my mind about resigning, next match is the FA cup replay so fingers crossed.

Its funny you start this post.

Ive played FM for years and never really had different tactics set up and what not, just used one set tactic all the time.

Ive found with this game that by having a number of set tactics set for different types of Opponents (in my case Top 4, Mid Table, Bottom Table) has helped me alot.

I started with West Ham, didnt win a game in my first 15, got 12 draws and 3 losses, came to Chelsea and went all defensive and voila... thats where it made me realise i needed some different methods in this game. Much more likely in real life too that you need to change your tactics from game to game, even if its just tweaks.

Hey, Mike, that's a great question.

I'm not sure what advice I can give you precisely, just know this - I went into March before recording my first win of the season with Vinogradar one season. ;)

I found it quite entertaining, actually - the constant struggle to keep morale up despite getting hammered on a regular basis, the tactical challenge of trying to play defensively enough to draw nil-nil without falling for the trap of sitting too deep and letting a superior team pound my goalkeeper into shell-shock.

Psychology will be very important to your results in this instance. When you're going through such a season, your team talks, media interaction, and press conferences will have a huge effect. You've got to walk a tightrope between expecting too much from your players, and creating a "culture of failure" where losing is acceptable.

Also, loans in can have a huge impact.

Beyond that, how do you keep yourself happy with such a game?

One suggestion I have is making sure to set your personal expectations: you know you aren't going to win every time out, so set yourself reasonable goals: progression in X Cup, holding Y big-club to a draw.

Find a way to share your misery - I think its seasons like this that gave the "Lower League Managers" forum a raison d'etere. It certainly improved my enjoyment of struggling at the bottom when I started writing a story for FMS.

Next, get emotionally attached to your players. Even if its as simple as "pick five of them", get a couple guys who are your personal favorites. Personally, I tend to get behind those determined veterans who keep giving their all even in a lost season, and the promising youth whom I want to see develop for two or three seasons down the line. Personality become important; you start seeing them as real people who are working hard for you.

Finally, start playing "Wait 'til next year": start taking actions with a long-range view .. maybe you'll be able to pick them up to 7th next season, and into the top six the following year. Since you're looking beyond the next match, you'll always have something to look forward to - and you'll start noticing upward trends in quality of play before they are reflected in results on the pitch.

So, I guess its, setting short-term, medium-term, and long-term goals for yourself .. maybe the short-term is pretty pathetic (get another draw!) ..

.. but I was over the moon when I got my first victory of the season after all that suffering!

Stick with it .. its worth it!

Great thoughts! And read the "tactics theorems and framework" pdf. I learned a lot and still learning how to adjust.

I was just thinking about this for a bit, and I can understand where you coming from. Whilst I agree with everything Amaroq says, giving his usual impeccable advice, i think in games like this is also important to keep your psychology up as well that of your players. I understand that might sound a little strange but I'll go on.

In my experience of games such of this, i've quickly got sick to death of losing and eventually have given up. What I tend to do now is I start a game with a lower league team, which i know will be a struggle, but i also have another game running with i play occasionally from time to time with a better team, with which i can satisfy my thirst for success etc.

So obviously, whilst the lower league game is your main game, there is that backup there for the times where you just get tired of losing. For me this has often helped me focus better on the lower league game, and given me more determination to go through with it. Anyway i might be talking complete rubbish so i'll stop, but don't give up it'll be worth it in the end.

I was just thinking about this for a bit, and I can understand where you coming from. Whilst I agree with everything Amaroq says, giving his usual impeccable advice, i think in games like this is also important to keep your psychology up as well that of your players. I understand that might sound a little strange but I'll go on.

In my experience of games such of this, i've quickly got sick to death of losing and eventually have given up. What I tend to do now is I start a game with a lower league team, which i know will be a struggle, but i also have another game running with i play occasionally from time to time with a better team, with which i can satisfy my thirst for success etc.

So obviously, whilst the lower league game is your main game, there is that backup there for the times where you just get tired of losing. For me this has often helped me focus better on the lower league game, and given me more determination to go through with it. Anyway i might be talking complete rubbish so i'll stop, but don't give up it'll be worth it in the end.

thats what i am doing at the moment. i just can not get a win with farsley at the moment in the blue square conference north. had a good start not the best but a good start but now cant stop the rot leaving mn in 13th after 14 games. but with me wanting to quit very much because of this i started a game as liverpool so everytime i get so annoyed i can just play liverpool to even it all out.

I think in games like this is also important to keep your psychology up as well that of your players. I understand that might sound a little strange but I'll go on.

So obviously, whilst the lower league game is your main game, there is that backup there for the times where you just get tired of losing.

That's very good advice, too - when I think back on it that season with Vinogradar I also had a second manager in the same save who was experiencing more success .. the fact that I was experiencing success with one manager kept me from deciding that Vinogradar sucked because I sucked .. and that let me more easily embrace the challenge.

My current season is a similar struggle - 19th in League Two with a hit-or-miss squad that seem to play fabulously one day and then fail to show up the next. But since its my only save, it has gotten a little frustrating and I've been wanting to simply give up and let the pain end. :)

Great post Amaroq mate and a great thread!!

I've started unemployed and am managing Darlington and although I've started OK now I'm lucky if I can get 2 shots on target!!!

Very frustrating!!!

But Amaroq's post was a nice slap to reality and made me realise I WAS aiming a bit too high with my players.

You know, I really wish I'd returned to this thread before now. I've done something I'm not proud of. I got so frustrated I deleted the game and... now I regret it. As Amaroq pointed out, getting that emotional connection is important and that was starting to happen for me. I have this side of myself where I do lose my temper and act rashly sometimes and I think it came out. And now.. I miss my game.

I can't go back and start again. It won't be the same. The only choice I have is to start a new game. I'm going to pick something challenging and make sure I keep my expectations lower. I'll follow Amaroq's advice of setting certain goals. I haven't decided who to manage yet, but I am determined not to give up this time. I don't want FM09 to go the way of FM07 and 08 did for me. On FM07 I had some fantastic games, but I never connected with a game until my Dinamo Moscow one. But by that time, the deadline for my Master's dissertation was approaching and I had to stop. (Incidentally, I also began a story on FM Stories with that game and had to give it up.) On FM08, again, I couldn't get anything going so I ended up reverting to the old failsafe, Man. United, because I support them. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I want something else this time.

Inverness CT was a short, bitter learning curve. Whatever my next game is, I'm gonna stick at it. Thanks to everyone who's given me advice. :thup:

Archived