F.a cup shocks

This weekends events has got me thinking. Has anyone had a lower divsion team win a majour cup/or a? line up of lower division fixture such as the semi line up in this years f.a cup?

This weekends events has got me thinking. Has anyone had a lower divsion team win a majour cup/or a? line up of lower division fixture such as the semi line up in this years f.a cup?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markcator3006:

A bit off topic question here, but IF Cardiff win the FA Cup, will they qualify for the Uefa Cup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think they will be allowed to because they are Welsh.

They used to a lot before the Welsh FA stopped them from playing in the Welsh Cup.

I've seen Division One teams win the FA Cup on older versions, and I've seen Woking and Stevenage reach the semi finals from the Conference on 01/02, but nothing I've noticed yet on 08.

Championship sides & lower have won many cups in mine, but it's a bit of a mission for me to check all, to see who was in what league at the time.

Instead I present you with last year's 66/67 FA cup, won by Championsip Blackpool, Who beat Championship Barnsley 1-0 (aet) in the final.

In the semi final line up, they were joined by one Premiership side (Man City) and one more Championship (now League One) side (Chelsea).

Motherwell wins the FA Cup! Motherwell wins the FA Cup!

icon_razz.gif

I am trying out a United Kingdom-type system where the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams are included in the English system (the Celtic/Rangers-to-the-EPL idea expanded out) and Motherwell provided a shock run to the FA Cup title in the third year of the new set-up.

The first year, they lost their first game in both the League and FA Cups. In their second year, they improved slightly by losing their initial League Cup game but bringing their FA Cup contest to a replay before falling.

Meanwhile, they were 18th and 17th, respectively, in their first two years in the Championship.

The third season appeared to be more of the same as Motherwell once again was one-and-done in the League Cup. Then in the FA Cup ...

3-2 away win over Bolton (would finish eighth in the EPL that year)

1-0 home win over Livingston (would finish sixth and get promoted from League Two)

2-1 home win over Sheffield United (would finish eighth in the Championship)

1-0 home win over Sunderland (would finish 18th in the Championship)

1-1 draw and PSO win over Chelsea at Wembley in the semifinals (would finish second in the EPL)

2-2 draw and PSO win over West Brom at Wembley in the final (would finish 16th in the Championship)

Meanwhile, Motherwell finished seventh in the Championship, three points off a playoff place. They would play four more seasons in the Championship before being relegated. They would then bounce back-and-forth between the Championship and League One for several seasons.

Motherwell would not have another extensive FA Cup run until five years later when they defeated Notts County and Reading before falling to fellow Scottish team Hearts in a replay in the Round of 16.

In my long game there have been few shocks

2015-Colchester(relegation fodder in the EPL)

2016-Portsmouth(In the championship)

2018-Cardiff(Again struggling in the Championship)

There have been more small teams,reaching the Finals though

2021-Sunderland

2022-Ipswich

2025-Leeds

2032-Hull

But the biggest shock was in 2035

West Ham(big time team) v Brentford(mid-table in the CCC)

I was west ham,and brentford beat me,i was shocked.Probably the biggest shock,becauuse i faced it.Beat me 2-0,and they qualified for Europe.10 years later,Brentford are in the Premier League and are a mid table team.That European venture,turned their luck around

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teamoneks9.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what this has to do with this topic? lol

Ive seen a few CCC sides get to the final but everytime they have lost.

Everytime I seem to get to the final I always play the team who are 1st/2nd in the league icon_frown.gif

The English FA will not allow Cardiff or other Welsh clubs who is playing in english leagues to compete in Champions League, EURO Cup or EURO Vase even if they get so far reaching it. But I don't know if it is coded in FM 08, Probably not because Cardiff, Swansea and Newport Co are english clubs in the game.

Actually, I would be curious if anybody knows if those Welsh teams are able to qualify for Europe in Football Manager.

Anybody know why Derry City is able to play in Europe (in real life) as a member of Ireland? Is it because the Irish FA are okay with it, but the English FA are not okay with a Welsh team representing it?

It's a bit unfair on them really. In the very early 90's they all used to play in the welsh cup also, so every season you would get someone like Wrexham in the European Cup Winners Cup. But then the welsh fa said if they were to continue playing in the English league they couldn't play in the welsh Cup, so now they have no way of getting into Europe at all.

Intresting thing is every couple of years someone talks about Rangers and Celtic breaking away from the SPL to join the EPL. I bet if people realsise they could never again play European football that would stop the suggestions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovingthegreen: I am trying out a United Kingdom-type system where the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams are included in the English system </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd you set that up? Sounds like a good way to include teams from all 4 countries without using up memory on extra leagues.

How does it generate the Scottish Welsh and N.Irish representatives in the Champions league?

I've seen a few lower league (i.e. below Premiership) teams win the FA cup, including Swansea, in a previous version. And being as how English clubs have always been over-rated in Europe they always tended to do well in the UEFA cup also, even if they were thrashing around towards the bottom of the Championship!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by THFC1961:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovingthegreen: I am trying out a United Kingdom-type system where the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams are included in the English system </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd you set that up? Sounds like a good way to include teams from all 4 countries without using up memory on extra leagues.

How does it generate the Scottish Welsh and N.Irish representatives in the Champions league? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without going into minute details, I took all the teams from Northern Ireland (including Derry City), Wales and Scotland with reputations of 1500 or above (according to the editor) and moved them all into the English league system. According to reputation, I had the top 20 British teams in the EPL, the next 24 in the Championship and so on down to Blue Square North/South. I made sure to only have League Two on up active though in the game since the geography of BS N/S gets screwed up after a couple years (i.e. Stranraer in BS South).

I also make sure that I move the bottom English teams into those now-empty spots in Ireland (Derry City), N. Ireland, Scotland and Wales, mostly so that those countries always lose in the European competitions before the British teams start playing. That way I can imagine that they don't exist.

Bottom line, it involves a lot of switching teams between leagues/countries.

To specifically answer your last question, those leagues are still there, just greatly reduced (no teams with 1500 reputation or above), meaning that after a few years of their representatives doing nothing in continental competitions, UEFA causes them to only play in the first round or two and they are subsequently almost always eliminated before the English (I mean British) teams start playing their European games.

I actually took Exeter City to the final of the FA Cup while being top of the BSP. Weird things were happening though, I played Man Utd in the semi but my reputation was so low they put out a load of kids and I won 4-2 AET. Chelsea did the same in the final but they only just beat me also AET

Archived