Ferguson Retirement

Just wondering when he's retired on everyone's game (if you're at that point yet) and who replaced him. It may be the case that his retirement date and successor is fixed into the game. I remember on previous games he being sacked (unrealistically) a couple of times early on before being replaced by a foreign coach like Juande Ramos or Roberto Mancini who fail, sending the club into a downward spiral. I doubt there would be a similar situation in the game to Bob Paisley replacing Bill Shankly at Liverpool in Mike Phelan getting the nod, or in real life for that matter.

Bryan Robson, Steve Bruce, Steve Coppel, Sammy McIlroy and Solskjaer are all managers in the game who are also in their icons/legends,favoured personnel list. Any of these getting the job would be unrealistic. Roy Keane and Mark Hughes are more realistic options in the lists.

In my FM 07 game Roy Keane got the job and won the Champions League (although he wasn't as good as he should've been in the league). He then shockingly left for Real Betis after a few seasons, replaced by Koeman...Erwin Koeman. Man Utd have been sliding down the table since...

Roy Keane was recently (2012/13) sacked.

Currently in 2010 on FM09...just starting the 10-11 season and he's announced his retirement at the end of the season so unknown yet. He guided Man Utd to 5th place last season so im wondering how he still has his job :D

More like crashed them to 5th place.

My gran could do a better job than him, and shes not Scottish :)

It varied, from Magath, to Ramos, to Mourinho, to Benitez! Sometimes even me!! This is FM08 By the way. Usually though, Arsenal NEVER got rid of Wenger and I hate him and his team that always seem to catch up on me!!! Chelsea on the other hand I always thrash, what's the deal there?! Too unrealistic blah balh...only joking.

• 3 months later...

In my game he's retiring at the end of 2009/10. With Man Utd in 3rd place, and in the quarter finals of the CL, against my Chelsea team. I hope to see him off in style!

I'm sure when it happens in real-life premier league refs will breathe a huge sigh of relief!, haha.

Slightly of topic but ive always wanted to know.... do managerial attributes really count?? I understand that if a manager has a high rep he will attract better players, but would a top premiership boss do better than say a conference manager?? i.e. would a premiership manager utilise the squad better, would he know when to change tactics at the vital moments etc.

End of the 2nd season on my game, which coincided with them becoming a poor team and dropping down the table. Rijkaard took over then was sacked then Ramos took over and he was sacked and now Van Basten is manager. I've been offered the job twice but I hate them.

In 2007 it was capello ...who did utter pants:thdn:

In my 2008 he got replaced by Moyes did o.k.

did see on one post here someone ran game until 2120 and he was still going strong...(only joking ;)

but whoever takes over they have a thankless task....if they do well it will be said they inherited s.a.f.'s squad!!

if they fail ..............well!!!

lets hope the board choose wisely ...........I wonder how many FM managers will apply:D

Always seems to be Steve Bruce or David Moyes that get the job in my games; Bruce more often than Moyes. Did have a game that ran to about 2030 and Man Utd were in the old 3rd Division with a manager I'd never heard of. Funny thing is that Liverpool and Tottenham were both in the same division and all three teams had in excess of £400 million in their transfer kitty but were still struggling.

Can't remember exactly when Fergie retired - around about 2012. His replacements always last 12-18 months. In 2017 in a "holidaying" save (want to start in 2020 - don't ask why) Man U have gone through Javier Aguirre, Steve Bruce, Jose Morinho (!?!) and now onto an ex (non-Man-U) player whose name I currently forget. Once Fergie left it was the beginning of the end, and they haven't finished higher than 4th, which was the Special One's reign, but usually 6th or 7th. Last season's top six were:

Liverpool

Chelsea

Man City

Arsenal

Reading (!?!)

Everton

Love this game, really I do!

Ranieri went there briefly on my game too, didn't last too long. Phelan has the job now and has got man utd playing well and above their usual 13th - 17th finishes of the last few years getting them back towards CL spots.

Archived