striker issues

I can't get my strikers to come back and defend

I play with 2 ST's and I want at least one of them to come back at least to the halfway line when defending, close down opposition midfielders, I want him to perform a Tevez or Rooney role. That's what they do IRL, give no time to defenders with the ball and track back to help the team defending.

Instead what happens is that he would just stay up front no matter what settings I give him!!!

His mentality can be 2 3 or 4 notches below team mentality, closing down low or high: none works. Tried to tick tight marking box, no effect.

For me this is EXTREMLY annoying as the opposition can just pass the ball around in the defending third and waste time with that. Yea I could go with midfielders and wingers on really high closing down but then there is a lot of space for the AI to exploit.

Ideal solution would be to have one (or on some occasion the other one as well) striker coming back and closing down people.

So you tactic gurus, do you have any solutions for me?

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Alright, it's driving me crazy now...

As I'm Man United most teams play a possesion based defending football against me. This means they pass the ball around in their defending third while my 2 strikers just stand there watching it... They wouldn't take two steps back and close them down for god's sake...

In FM08 it wasn't like this, and in that there were the back arrow, which helped as well...

Archived