How many Play without Players Or tactics Guide.

JJU

I read people's article on the tactics forum or other web-sites, but I've never resorted to using other people's tactics or training in my games. Similarly I've never actually looked at any good players guides. However, through word of mouth and having played a number of different games it's hard not to pick up on who the bargain buys are. If I can help it I try and keep away from signing the more obvious ones if I can.

I occasionally read posts on the tactics forum, because coaches do exchange ideas on tactics and because much of what is on the tactics forum is more about understanding how the FM tactical interface works and less about what the best tactics might be.

I never rely on "good player" posts. I rely on scouting reports and my own judgement of the attributes I see. When I take a position at a lower level club, I make wide use of the 1 week trial.

I play entirely on my own.

But not because I think I'm special... I'm just way too lazy to read all the "guides" out there, especially when I won't understand any of them.

Though, player guides/tips are different. I avoid those because it's borderline cheating, and they ruin all the fun of the game.

I have never used tactics guides for the same reason as B.Stinson....i just cant be bothered to read through the various guides out there. Also, id rather figure out my teams failings myself. I do ok, but im no expert by any stretch.

Its all down to personal choice and i can see why some players use the guides.

I tend not to use player guides. Thats what your scouts are for.

I don't use any of the guides. However what I do is I will read over the tactics forum, find one that works well, try it with me team and make any little mods that need to be done. In regards to players I usually holiday mode until 2020ish so there is really no point as its regens then anyway

As a youngster in the game I do occasionally look at the tactics advice and have also recently looked at peoples training advice, but I also change them because I don't want to have my success or failure based on them , I want to feel the success or know I've failed my self, I don't look at what players to sign because I'm trying to get a team together and chose them for my self, I do find some wonderkids some times but most of the time they wasn't it until I managed them etc, so I do sort of play with guides but I sort of don't to.

I very rarely venture into the tactics and training forum or the good player guide and when I do I try and make sure I keep away from things that tell me how to play the game.

Part of the enjoyment is solving the puzzle that is FM yourself. If I was to take advice or use other people's tactics/training then I would feel less deserving of success.

That is my own opinion though, everyone is welcome to play as they want.

I personally don't use other people's uploaded tactics or read cheat-lists of top players.

But being new to FM/FML(I had CM back in the Amiga days though) i have read "Fundamental Tactics Series" at least in part. None others yet though but people have said that the 2-6-2 post is meant to be a very good read.

I play entirely on my own.

At the end of each season I go back and see who the players I should have brought were, and if I spotted any of the superstar youngsters each version is cursed with.

It's quite disappointing to think you've spotted some u18 superstar at an amazingly obscure club, only to find out that everyone in the universe has brought them too icon_frown.gif

This is the first version of the game where I've felt the need to visit the tactics forum.

Although I haven't used a downloaded tactic I've found a wealth of information there to help me make my own. It's finally working wonders too. Only taken me 4 seasons.

Hi

I have used the tactics forum for the last few issues of the game and find it an excellent forum for advice.

Like any manager you read stuff to increase your knowledge. I check other tactic stuff re talks, training, formations, positioning and some I use, others I try and ditch.

The T&T has allowed me to understand the game a lot better and as my ass. man and coaches never give me advice re formations I use the forum as research (use it like I would use pro-zone - ish).

So yeah suits me and respect to those that write some of that stuff and do the detailed research.

icon14.gif

I try not to see any good player guides etc. If when browsing the forums a name gets mentioned I treat it as if it were a media story/rumour. I then scout said player, see what hes like. Maybe take him on loan or sign....

Tactics wise I just stick to my tried and trusted 4-4-2-a that I import from all previous versions and then just tweak to compensate for any new features, tweak according to match performance.

I also have a 4-1-3-1 formation that I use, but I havent changed it for about 3 versions now...

I have read guides and opinions, but just because my understanding of tactics is quite poor (I don't watch 2d matches). I have never used anyone's tactics since that ww long time ago (I managed to win all with players from my academy :s). and I never read players guides since I rarely buy players, and never good existant players.

I don't use tactic guides or player guides or whatever people have come with up to help others win.

I get much more pleasure and enjoyment when a team I have built up and prepared on my own achieve sucess. For a long time I thought everyone was the same as me lol. Then I found forums like this where there are whole sections devoted to it.

Hence why I just stick to this section of the forums here.

I think reading the tactic forum is a good idea to get an idea of how the tactics effect the game.

I like to download tactics and test them out occasionally, i think it is really the only way you can see how other people approach things. It can be very interesting, there are no strict right and wrongs and other people often come at solutions in a very different way from me. it is a very good way to learn. as an example it can be surprising to fin d that a tactic that seems to be less attacking than your own, produces more goals- a well balanced team will usually do better than a riduclously attacking set up.

ultimately though, i will always play with my own tactic and develop it, i find that much more satisfying. i dont tinker much during a season, so to keep things interesting i like to change my tactic every couple of seasons (radically not change arrows!)

good player guide- i never really read. i do follow real life football quite closely though.

Archived