Deflected free kicks

Does anyone know how the probability for these is calculated? I'm talking about the deflections that make the ball go into the opposite corner from where the keeper is going.

I seem to concede a lot and have just conceeded 2 in 1 match which is pretty unlikely to put it mildly.

Does anyone know how the probability for these is calculated? I'm talking about the deflections that make the ball go into the opposite corner from where the keeper is going.

I seem to concede a lot and have just conceeded 2 in 1 match which is pretty unlikely to put it mildly.

I think it is a bit overcooked aswell but to be honest I can't be arsed keeping a note of the statistics over the course of a season.

The way the forum has been there seems to be 2 camps:-

1. One that will only accept there is a problem if a poster does a rigorous statistical analysis (for example a whole season including your team and the AI teams) and a comparison to real life statistics (assuming these are obtainable).

2. One that sees there is an issue based on more anecdotal evidence. For example if this thread extends to 3 or 4 pages with people agreeing with you (without anyone posting statistics) then they see it as an issue.

As it stands the first camp tends to think the second camp is coincidental due to people seeing it happen once (as with your post) and posting out of annoyance, and the way we tend to remember negative events which affects our perception (alongside the compacting of time in playing FM where one virtual year can be completed in one real week). So stating that you "seem to concede a lot" will result in responses from Camp 1 saying it's just a coincidence and responses from Camp 2 agreeing usually alongside some angry face smilies and an experience of the event screwing them over.

Well I'm in Camp1 and Camp2 icon_razz.gif

I do notice a lot of deflected freekicks, but like many others I can't be bothered to keep a note of exactly how many across a season and then try to root out statistics from a real life season in the same league etc, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by SWaRFeGa:-

I'm not camp at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> originally posted by glamdring:-

Well I'm in Camp1 and Camp2 icon_razz.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif That was one of those posts that after I hit the 'post now' button I realised I was just asking for trouble icon_smile.gif.

Does that make glamdring Bi?

I'm afraid I would say the same though, I think there are a lot of deflected corners and free kicks but I would have no idea if it was realistic or not because I couldn't be bothered doing any sort of analysis.

I scored 2 deflected FKs in a recent match, strangely both were given as OGs despite minimum deflection and both were on target prior to the deflection. That said i don't see too many going in outside of this match. 3 or 4 a season perhaps.

I think every free kick lampard has scored has taken a nick off someone lol, so there is a real life precendent for this kind of thing to happen fairly often.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

1. One that will only accept there is a problem if a poster does a rigorous statistical analysis (for example a whole season including your team and the AI teams) and a comparison to real life statistics (assuming these are obtainable).

2. One that sees there is an issue based on more anecdotal evidence. For example if this thread extends to 3 or 4 pages with people agreeing with you (without anyone posting statistics) then they see it as an issue.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theres a simple way to get around being in a "camp" (although Hotels are more comfortable). Simply claim this the incident in question happens for you, just as much as it happens for the AI.

Watch....

I've personally scored a lot of free kicks from deflections, and conceded a lot too. I do think its an issue, but as it seems to be pretty evenly spread, I'm not that fussed about it.

And were done.

i wouldnt say it happens to me every match i would say that every time the ai gets a freekick with 45 yards of my goal 9/10 it flies into the top corner and my keeper barely moves, i could understand if i was playing against cristiano ronalo evcery week, but im playing again john smith local butcher, plays for stafford on saturdays.

ps when i have a freekick at the edge of the box, up steps my taker and it goes closer to the corner flag that the goal.

misery

I am one of these dorks that has it the other way, I am the one who scores all the deflected freekicks, I've decided I should go back to my keeper for the freekicks he has 17 for FK. But I haven't been using him much yet this season, but my other free kick takers seem to be able to deflect a lot in, or deflect them to the feet of my strikers.

Maybe it is something to do with your defensive players strength in holding the wall together?

I think that a deflected free kick has a greater probability of hitting the back of the net than one which has not been deflected, due to the fact the 'keeper may already be moving in the original direction of the ball's flight.

How many free-kicks that are deflected by the wall don't go in? Just because a ball hits the wall doesn't mean it cannot, or should not end up in the goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rams_:

I have a good free kick taker, but half the time he passes to my centre back who blasts it miles wide icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hate those ones.

you have your free kick taker standing over the ball, your center back about 2 inches from him and the free kick taker rolls it to the center back who doesn't have a long enough run up to power it so ends up passing it backwards.

I find slightly over half of my goals from freekicks take deflections, or at least thats how it seems to me

But tbh i rarely concede this way, I generally concede due to my left and right backs attempting outrageous passbacks icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rams_:

I have a good free kick taker, but half the time he passes to my centre back who blasts it miles wide icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hate those ones.

you have your free kick taker standing over the ball, your center back about 2 inches from him and the free kick taker rolls it to the center back who doesn't have a long enough run up to power it so ends up passing it backwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I put thst down as a bug icon_frown.gif

Archived