Player Arrows On Formation Screen

Cant seem to move player arrows in a curved direction like in FM07?

Also cant make my wingers arrows push up to the top of the screen along side my strikers,they only go up halfway (AM/FC Area)

And when looking at the formation screen whilst playing a match there are no arrows to be seen! (when set to certain directions pre-match)

All of these features where on FM07 but not on this version.

Any reason for this?

The feature has been taken out. Now the 'forward runs' instructions for each player will create a arrow forwards or backwards.

If you do a search you will find very fruitful and elaborate discussions about the topic.

One of the best has 'Open letter to SI' or similar in the thtead name :)

This has been quite widely discussed.

Testing showed that the arrows were poorly understood by most users, and so they have been removed from FM09.

Many people thought that it implied some sort of run and direction, but they actually only gave a player two positions - one when the team was in possession, and one when they were not. When possession changed hands, the players would blindly charge from one to the other, irrespective of what was going on around them - clearly not realistic. So the arrows were removed.

Players can still be made to perform many of the same functions as people thought the arrow were performing - for example, your diagonal arrows (which would actually have made the wingers play as strikers when you were in possession, and as wingers when you were not) can be 'replaced' if you consider what you are asking for, i.e. that you want the player to cut inside a lot. This can be done by setting 'cross ball' to rarely (if a winger has possession, and is told not to cross it... he should have to cut inside!) - and can also be encouraged by playing a left footed player on the right wing and vice versa.

Ahhh i see.

Makes sense to me,never realised the problems this caused in FM07.

As long as all options to move player runs are there one way or another,cant see this being a greatly missed feature then.

They should be and if they are not, SI have said it will be tweaked further. It will however take a bit more space of our brains to figure out how we want to achieve this ;)

Archived