Your biggest under-achievment

Partly inspired by 'What has been your...' thread and partly inspired by my rubbish Blackburn team.

I've been playing a game with Blackburn on Fm07 and managed a minor miracle on the last day of the season to win the Premiership. I went on the next season to finish 2nd and get to the CL final. The season after, I finished 2nd again, CL final and League Cup final. I finished with one trophy - the League cup. I was however, pleased with the season. The nest summer comes up and I figure that my team needs some reinforcing. I spent £32m in my bid to win the title with a couple of players who are the best in their position (or their stats show that).

Starting the season with huge optimism, I manage to lose my first three games. The entire season was a struggle and I finished 7th despite having ambitions of at least winning the Premiership. I did at least win the Champions League so it wasn't too bad but I was dissapointed finishing sixth.

So, what has been your biggest under-achievement?

Partly inspired by 'What has been your...' thread and partly inspired by my rubbish Blackburn team.

I've been playing a game with Blackburn on Fm07 and managed a minor miracle on the last day of the season to win the Premiership. I went on the next season to finish 2nd and get to the CL final. The season after, I finished 2nd again, CL final and League Cup final. I finished with one trophy - the League cup. I was however, pleased with the season. The nest summer comes up and I figure that my team needs some reinforcing. I spent £32m in my bid to win the title with a couple of players who are the best in their position (or their stats show that).

Starting the season with huge optimism, I manage to lose my first three games. The entire season was a struggle and I finished 7th despite having ambitions of at least winning the Premiership. I did at least win the Champions League so it wasn't too bad but I was dissapointed finishing sixth.

So, what has been your biggest under-achievement?

Taking over Leeds, when they were just outside the relegation zone in the Championship with 15 games remaining. I had a look at the players they had, and compared them to the players at the other teams around them in the table, and thought I could avoid relegation comfortably and rebuild in the summer. Of course, I got them relegated.

Fortunately I avoided the sack, and thought a relatively easy promotion followed by rebuilding after that season. Around 15 games into the season, and I was 19th in League One, taking until the 7th game of the season before recording my first win. They quite rightly sacked me. icon_frown.gif

Has to be, with a star studded squad in 2019, with manchester United...finishing 4th and no trophies.

Appauling season, just about made it!

No injuries either, just very bad form and tatics.

Second season with Spurs i won the prem.

I apent 45million on players in the summer and felt really confident of retaining the title,

i finished 12th.

I won the fa cup and league cup same year which

is why i beleive i did not get the sack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tommy 'the red' Howard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I did at least win the Champions League so it wasn't too bad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a bad season for Blackburn Rovers...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was at the time because I was expecting to romp home to the Premiership with the players I had. I guess dissapointing is the better word, thats probably because id been to the final for the last two years in the CL so it didnt seem like that big a deal.

I took over at Valencia after 8 years at Sheffield United (two FA Cups wins and a 5th place finish in the Premiership). Valencia were then ranked 2nd best team in the World, and I managed to have them languishing in 15th place in the Spanish League before getting the sack after 22 games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amplifierworship:

I took over at Valencia after 8 years at Sheffield United (two FA Cups wins and a 5th place finish in the Premiership). Valencia were then ranked 2nd best team in the World, and I managed to have them languishing in 15th place in the Spanish League before getting the sack after 22 games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is some going. Serves you right managing the Blunts though icon_wink.gif

Just finished another season with Man U in 2012, beaten to the title on goal difference by Arsenal, lost in the CL semi final against Arsenal, and I lost in the league cup to... yup... Arsenal. I did win the F.A cup however, so it wasn't a totally useless season, I managed to scrape a 3-2 win over Arsenal in the semis! Who's laughing now eh? Oh wait...

I hate Arsenal. icon_razz.gif

Some of these aren't exactly underachievments as much as not winning everything. After winning the Preimership five years in a row with Preston I'm given the biggest transfer budget I've had yet, bring in a good few expensive players and by mid-season and low mid-table and out of all other competitions. I resigned in frustration and my successor had the honour of finishing the job and relegating them.

Took over heerenveen with a reputation as a manager that makes astute signings for little cash and performs near miracles. We were expected to come just below the top 4 and I had a very very poor season, finishing 10th. I was so ashamed and annoyed by the dutch football I left without so much as a goodbye.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry about the double post but my biggest under-achievment was finishing 5th with Liverpool in my first season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats not exactly bad im newcastle and i finished 4th first season liverpool finished 7 after man city n villa

2039/40 Season with NAC Breda.

I had joined the club the season before, and won the league with a mostly poor squad in my first season in charge, trough a combination of luck and, well in hindsight, almost completeley down to luck.

I didn't strengthen much over the summer, as my unexpected success led me to put faith in the players already at the club.

My 25-goal a season belgian (with terrible stats) couldn't hit a barn door from 20 paces while my defence turned into a very leaky thing indeed.

With the boad expecting me to chalenge for the title again, we were rock bottom of the league by christmas.

After some strengthening in january, we were able to pull ourselves out of the relegation zone, and I was sacked in April in 14th place.

I'm not even sure if this counts as an under achievement, being such a complete disaster.

ummmm, must be boro after taking them to a consistent euro appearnce and in five seasons making them top of the world the dreaded sixth seaosn came (suspense here) after 38 premier league games i won .... 6 i drew 15 and lost the remaining games it was woeful but i stayed in the prem just... and quickly juimped ship to leeds now they sit happily in the top 4 of the prem!! still boro ... so sad .

Finished 4th with chelsea - didn't get the sack as i'd done the treble previously, but the board were not amused lol.

Also managed to get PSG relegated, which prior to this season i would have classed as under acheiving...

Redditch Utd. Won BSN in my first season with them despite media prediction 22nd, then finished 10th first season in BSP, so told the board next season that I felt I could win promotion...

20 games in I had 2 points, and decided to call it a day...

Then got the job at Recreativo in La Liga (don't know why they were looking for one at Conference level) so it wasn't all bad I suppose

I haven't had any massive under-achievements in proper FM08 games yet, although after finishing 10th first season with Sampdoria I was thrashing around in the bottom 3 for the first 10 games of my second season and they sacked me and replaced me with Gianluca Vialli icon_frown.gif

Certainly in FM07 I had a fairly major relative under-achievement. It took me 8 seasons to finally win the SPL with Kilmarnock. At that point I finally had a squad that I really believed could challenge Celtic regularly. Our title "defence" was spectacularly bad though (hence the quotation marks!). Having finished 4th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd in our first 7 seasons whilst building the squad, we found ourselves struggling in the bottom half of the table most of the 9th season and only a timely run of form saw us squeeze into the top 6 and we ended up finishing 6th, at which point I resigned and bade a tearful farewell to my beloved Kilmarnock icon_razz.gif

In Korea with Suwon Blue wings, won the title the first year by a few points. I re-built and added some quality players in the close season, I went on to finish 12th with numerous problems throughout the season. Many injuries cost me dearly and rumours linking my players with European clubs took it's toll. icon13.gif

I decided to stay for the next year turning down Wigan in the close season as I felt I had unfinished business. I went on to challenge for the title but lost out after a slump in form. I won the K-cup but had already had plans to resign and move on.

I went on to have a great 4 year stint with Middlesbrough although no trophies were won, I finished 10th, 8th, 5th and 5th again the final season missing out on Champions league football by a matter of points icon_frown.gif

I had a similar thing happen to me Neji.

Im managing Sheffield Wednesday and am in around my 10th season now...

We've been in the premiership for around 7 of them years now and have progressed each year in terms of final finishing position : 12th, 7th, 6th, 4th, 5th, 2nd, 1st...

However, after winning the league and champions league last year (and runners up in the FA cup) this year has been a huge disappointment...

I splashed out £35m on a 25 year old Sergio Aguero from Inter, and bought some very good young ish regens for quite high amounts and we're struggling in 6th position in the league, Arsenal are way ahead after 14 games and i think we'll be way off in terms of winning the league this year icon_frown.gif

After finishing 6th in my first season in League One after a great unbeaten run towards the end of the season and admittedly it was the only time all year I was in the playoff places or above.

I thought a few good signings I though I could even win the league. Also seeing as though I had signed 2 good forwards over the summer I thought "I'll change tactics to use them both!"

Genius!

8 games in 3 points I decided to bite the bullet and revert to tried and tested score once and pray tactics and im now, 24 games in, out the relegation zone (on goal difference).

Basically it was my tactics!

Having got into finished 4th in my second season at Swindon I expected to win the playoffs this year.

I did. (obviously this isn't the underachieving bit!)

Then 1st season in Championship 17th-Great

Next season I was relegated but avoided the sack(not sure how but anyway...)

I assumed I would easily stroll into the Championship. 23 games later I decided I was wrong - I only won 2 points!

Not good.

Probably the one which meant the end of my carreer in my favourite save. After twenty-something years at Akropolis IF (three Swedish titles, cups, Royal Leagues etc.) we were favourites to retain the title, but the whole season went pear-shaped.

Bad tactics+injuries+poor form = 7th place and a sacking icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by emgergo:

Probably the one which meant the end of my carreer in my favourite save. After twenty-something years at Akropolis IF (three Swedish titles, cups, Royal Leagues etc.) we were favourites to retain the title, but the whole season went pear-shaped.

Bad tactics+injuries+poor form = 7th place and a sacking icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After 20-odd seasons? That must have been painful icon_frown.gif

Archived