My proposed tactic for Man Utd. Comments please....

Hi all,

Im currently Man U on my FM09 save. Im doing ok I spose - January 2009 3rd in the prem, into the final of the Carling Cup, through to the 2nd round of the Champs League, and winners of the Super Cup and the World Club Championships thingy in Japan.

I have started to slip recently, and I have not been able to use my strikers effectively all season - most goals come from midfield!

So I have this tactic I have been designed while at work today, what are your thoughts?

--------ST-ST-----------

AML-----------------AMR

-------------------------

-------CDM-CDM---------

LB------CB---CB--------RB

LB - Evra

CB - Ferdinand, Vidic

RB - Brown

CDM - Carrick, Hargreaves

AML - Nani

AMR - Ronaldo

ST - Rooney, Berba

I will play with quite an attacking mentality. I will set the slider to a direct passing, so the ball will get straight up to the front line. I am thinking of getting the back 4 to push up and play offside, in order to reduce the gap in the middle of the park, but the direct passing should address this.

Hargreaves and Carrick will be set to a defensive mentality, with hard tackling and plenty of closing down.

I am thinking of setting Nani and Ronaldo's crossing to rarely so that they cut inside and get in the box rather than cross it in. Would it be worth it to get Rooney to drop off (forward runs rarely) in this formation?

The tatical masters of FM - please comment!!

Far from benig a tactical master, I have a couple of suggestions for you.

Firstly, when your not playing Carrick and Hargreaves together, try Paul Scholes in the same role. As you may have noticed IRL he plays alot deeper these days and tends to break up play and lay the ball off, keeping it simple but effective. Having him on a defensive mentality with TTB Often, FWR Rarley, RWB Rarley I have found this to be quite effective as it make Scholes a deep lying playmaker rather then an out an out defensive midfielder.

Secondly, with regards to Nani and Ronaldo have one of them (most likely Ronaldo) on CB Rarley, TTB mixed, FWR Often, RWB Often, LS Mixed. I find he will try and bomb into the box to get on the end of passes/crosses or cut inside and shoot. With your other winger have FWR Often, RWB Often, CB Often, TTB Rarley, LS Rarley, Cross From Byline Cross Aim Centre. Here I find the player will try and skin the fullback and get to the byline and when crossing to the centre he will actually pull the ball back, where as if you have cross to near post or far post, then quite often he will just hang the ball up in the air too close to the keeper or with nobody getting there in time. Also with two quality winger such as Ronaldo and Nani it might be worth have them swap positions to help bamboozle the oppositions defence.

Anyway, I hope that made a sense and if you do try it, let me know how you get on.

I'd try having one of your forwards coming back for the ball and the other as a poacher. try dropping Rooneys mentality to one below your wingers and let him hold the ball up. Then take Berbatov off long shots and through balls and don't hold the ball up. See what happens.

Hi all,

Im currently Man U on my FM09 save. Im doing ok I spose - January 2009 3rd in the prem, into the final of the Carling Cup, through to the 2nd round of the Champs League, and winners of the Super Cup and the World Club Championships thingy in Japan.

I have started to slip recently, and I have not been able to use my strikers effectively all season - most goals come from midfield!

So I have this tactic I have been designed while at work today, what are your thoughts?

--------ST-ST-----------

AML-----------------AMR

-------CDM-CDM---------

LB------CB---CB--------RB

LB - Evra

CB - Ferdinand, Vidic

RB - Brown

CDM - Carrick, Hargreaves

AML - Nani

AMR - Ronaldo

ST - Rooney, Berba

I will play with quite an attacking mentality. I will set the slider to a direct passing, so the ball will get straight up to the front line. I am thinking of getting the back 4 to push up and play offside, in order to reduce the gap in the middle of the park, but the direct passing should address this.

Hargreaves and Carrick will be set to a defensive mentality, with hard tackling and plenty of closing down.

I am thinking of setting Nani and Ronaldo's crossing to rarely so that they cut inside and get in the box rather than cross it in. Would it be worth it to get Rooney to drop off (forward runs rarely) in this formation?

The tatical masters of FM - please comment!!

pls upload the tactic after u have finally tweeked it and finished it up....oh pls can u tell me what opposition instructions do you use at the start of every game?

Archived