Transfer fees are out of touch with real life

Ok i tried to buy Buffon the goal keeper while at man city second season hes 31 and i offered 20 mil first and they rejected but just to see how much they wanted i went up to 50 mil they came back to me and the asking fee for him was 115 mil for a goal keeper. The highest transfer fee in real life was 46 mil for Zidane so why is the game so out of touch with reality its a great game but the asking prices for top players is far far to much. I love this game to death but they need to get a grip on reality with the transfer fees. anyone else frustrated at the price of some players.

The price is so high because Juve don't want to let Buffon go. He is almost never likely to move away from Juve and he is valued by the club as their most important player.

i understand that but 115 mil come on its not a matter of whether the player wants to move he can refuse on contract negotiations but the highest fee paid in the world is 46 mil for the best player in the world at that time even ronaldo at man u is now been banded about at 70 mil ok 70 mil but 115 mil for a goalkeeper its a joke pure joke

Ok i tried to buy Buffon the goal keeper while at man city second season hes 31 and i offered 20 mil first and they rejected but just to see how much they wanted i went up to 50 mil they came back to me and the asking fee for him was 115 mil for a goal keeper. The highest transfer fee in real life was 46 mil for Zidane so why is the game so out of touch with reality its a great game but the asking prices for top players is far far to much. I love this game to death but they need to get a grip on reality with the transfer fees. anyone else frustrated at the price of some players.

You're kidding, right? You're basing your assertion that FM's transfer fees are 'out of touch' entirely on the fact that Juventus quoted you out of buying Buffon who is, after all, 'Mr. Juventus'? You'd be lucky to get him for £100m!

i understand that but 115 mil come on its not a matter of whether the player wants to move he can refuse on contract negotiations but the highest fee paid in the world is 46 mil for the best player in the world at that time even ronaldo at man u is now been banded about at 70 mil ok 70 mil but 115 mil for a goalkeeper its a joke pure joke

Thats what they tell you they want. I know that when I have a player I will not sell, I always tell a team enquiring that I want a silly amount. It just means they don't want to sell him so they tell you a massive price to put you off.

why don't you try buying someone else?

buy a few more cheaper players for your money........

use buffon to create a player search........

move on............

buffon maybe the one of the best, but there are others..............

The price is so high because Juve don't want to let Buffon go. He is almost never likely to move away from Juve and he is valued by the club as their most important player.
Thats what they tell you they want. I know that when I have a player I will not sell, I always tell a team enquiring that I want a silly amount. It just means they don't want to sell him so they tell you a massive price to put you off.

never thought of it that way you make a very good point still tho 115 mil for a goalkeeper i nearly fainted :D:eek:

Precisely, IMO a club only negotiates a ridiculous fee when the player is "indespensible" or "first team regular". I was quoted £5m for £3.5m valued Barnetta who had "suad rotation" status, and £10.5m for 3.5m valued Rolfes who had "first team regular" status.

Even if a club doensnt want to let someone go the prices asked are still unrealistic. Tottenham didnt want berbatov to go but they didnt demand £100m

Spurs didn't have a choice with Berba, they knew they had to sell and did bloody well to get 30m.

Take Benzema for example, Lyon slapped a price tag of 100m on him.

Even if a club doensnt want to let someone go the prices asked are still unrealistic. Tottenham didnt want berbatov to go but they didnt demand £100m

no they had to let him go because he never wanted to play for spurs anymore. Buffon would never want to leave juventus that is the difference.

ok so what if they said 70 million and you agreed to that, would they then have to say eh you know what we meant 90 million to scare you off. There are some players in the world that should be un-buyable and Buffon is one of those players as someone said he is "Mr Juventus"

But if this was the case then there would never be high profile transfers in real life. Almost all top clubs poach the best players from other clubs, but they dont get quoted £100m, the selling club might say they dont want to sell but as the saying goes every player has a price, but FM sets this rediculously high. I wouldnt mind them quoting that much, if it WAS just to put you off, but it isn't, it actually is the price they want. It would be ok if they qouted £100m, then got an offer of £35m an thought about it then maybe accepted it or said a final no, realising they dont want to sell him or that £35m is good business. Its just not realistic

thats the bit im getting at really 115 mil is far far to high it just wouldnt happen in the real world not for a goalkeeper

Similarly, Bojan leaving Barcelona on a free transfer wouldn't happen in real life, but is always a possibility in the game. There has to be variations to the rule to keep us interested.

I always take £100m as a "clear off" from the selling club, but if i'm desperate for that player i'll continue to bid until the chairman accepts and the fee is usually far less than £100m. I don't see why people have such a problem with this, we can negotiate whatever fee we want and we often negotiate unrealistic fees in order to indicate "hands off", yet the AI doing it means the game is messed up :confused:

Tottenham wanted to drive a hard bargain. However, they were in no position to go pricing United out of a deal. The two situations are very different.

But if this was the case then there would never be high profile transfers in real life. Almost all top clubs poach the best players from other clubs, but they dont get quoted £100m, the selling club might say they dont want to sell but as the saying goes every player has a price, but FM sets this rediculously high. I wouldnt mind them quoting that much, if it WAS just to put you off, but it isn't, it actually is the price they want. It would be ok if they qouted £100m, then got an offer of £35m an thought about it then maybe accepted it or said a final no, realising they dont want to sell him or that £35m is good business. Its just not realistic

thats the point im getting at if a club in real life wanted to keep a player they would all just quote stupid prices but it doesnt happen we see big big names being transfered for reasonable prices every transfer window

thats the point im getting at if a club in real life wanted to keep a player they would all just quote stupid prices but it doesnt happen we see big big names being transfered for reasonable prices every transfer window

You can buy 'big big names' on 09 for reasonable figures though. Some players are simply unavailable which means you would have to break the bank to sign them.

You're kidding, right? You're basing your assertion that FM's transfer fees are 'out of touch' entirely on the fact that Juventus quoted you out of buying Buffon who is, after all, 'Mr. Juventus'?

I'd have thought that Alex Del Piero was 'Mr. Juventus'? :confused:

You guys keep missing the point. Nobody could ever 'poach' Buffon. Buffon will never move for a reasonable price. Buffon is part of the fabric of Juventus. The price Juventus quoted was, in essence, a 'go away and leave us alone'. The key ingredient is that Buffon would never want to leave.

Berbatov was always going to want to leave Spurs when a bigger club came on the scene. Spurs were able to quote a high price, but they couldn't be silly about it because, in effect, that would be a 'no'. And they couldn't say no because Berbatov wanted to go.

god I am so sick o0f reading people that expect bargain basement prices on their first enquiry and then when it doesn't happen they complain the game is flawed. Can you imagine how crappy this game would be if you could just buy whoever you wanted for list price or better? IMO opinion one of the best parts of this game is the challenge of finding the right players at the right price.

You guys keep missing the point. Nobody could ever 'poach' Buffon. Buffon will never move for a reasonable price. Buffon is part of the fabric of Juventus. Thr price Juventus quoted was, in essence, a 'go away and leave us alone'. The key ingredient is that Buffon would never want to leave.

Berbatov was always going to want to leave Spurs when a bigger club came on the scene. Spurs were able to quote a high price, but they couldn't be silly about it because, in effect, that would be a 'no'. And they couldn't say no because Berbatov wanted to go.

correct, that has explained it perfectly.

You can't compare Buffon leaving Juventus with Berbatov leaving the not-so-big (big?!) Tottenham or an unhappy and underperforming Ronaldinho from Barcelona...

For me they seem more realistic than some ridiculous prices in FM07 and FM08...

god I am so sick o0f reading people that expect bargain basement prices on their first enquiry and then when it doesn't happen they complain the game is flawed. Can you imagine how crappy this game would be if you could just buy whoever you wanted for list price or better? IMO opinion one of the best parts of this game is the challenge of finding the right players at the right price.

i wouldnt be able to buy all the players i wanted tho if they had asked a resonable price it would have been all of my funds avalible to me so that would of been it much like in real life im not complaining the game is flawed either im just saying 115 mil for a goalkeeper come on now thats just not realistic

i wouldnt be able to buy all the players i wanted tho if they had asked a resonable price it would have been all of my funds avalible to me so that would of been it much like in real life im not complaining the game is flawed either im just saying 115 mil for a goalkeeper come on now thats just not realistic

It's been explained why it is that much though. If you'd have paid it, I would be questioning your sanity. Which means that it worked, it put you off buying him. :)

Let's be as clear as we can: £115 million was not the price Juventus wanted. It was their way of saying no. Only it works better than a no because it puts you off whereas a no might make you keep trying.

Juventus are a huge club and Buffon loves playing there, so Juventus can afford to do this. Tottenham are a reasonable-sized club, but not on the same level as Juve. Meanwhile, Berbatov had ambitions beyond White Hart Lane, so Spurs could not afford to go saying an outright no to United. They drove a hard bargain, but, crucially, they did not price United out of him.

What's out of touch with real life is that you have enquired about a player who is catagorically, 100% not for sale and also not looking to leave.

Buffon would never leave Juve, except in ridiculous circumstances. A 115 million bid is an example of 'ridiculous circumstances'. IRL, managers don't just sit and pick names out of a hat, they pick the man available at the right price.

The only team that really does just pick the biggest names in football and tries to force their hand is Real Madrid, as you rightly point out with the record signing of Zidane. I'm sure they would have been willing to pay 50-60 million for C.Ronaldo this summer, but no deal was brokered, a £115 million bid however might have changed Man U's mind.

And finally, I'm sure you didn't pay the £115 million Juve asked for Buffon so, just like in real life, this transfer hasn't happened.

You have to question why you want Buffon. IRL, the only reason someone would make such an audacious attempt to sign such a player would be as a statement of intent. A club like Man City or Chelsea with alot to prove and more money than sense.

Chelsea with Shevchenko is a classic example;

They bought the 'best striker in europe', the mysterious eastern european star who was destroying the best defenses in the world. 30 goals a year in Serie A. They couldn't buy the champion's league, so they bought the next best thing, the man Man U couldn't afford. He was awful! 9 league goals, at a pricely sum of £3.3 million per goal.

Instead of buying the right man, they bought the first name they thought of. Lucky for them that Russian's pockets are bottomless.

Even 30-40 million for Buffon is bad business, pick yourself up a 23 year old for a third of the price.

Also, in real life, Man City would be asked for stupid money whoever they were trying to sign as it is public knowledge that they have an infinite amount of money to spend.

I don't know if Football Manager recognises the wealth of the club that is bidding, but it should!

As with real life, use the press to "comment" on how you`d like to sign him. If like Berbatov he comes back with a come and get me type response then bid. Even if refused he`ll go in a huff and play bad for a season. Then they`ll likely cash in for a more reasonable bid. Seems pretty close to life to me, everyone has their price...its just sometimes that price is very high!

When managing Liverpool, if a team wanted to buy, say Torres or Gerrard (maybe even Mascherano) they would genuinely have to stump up about £150-£200Million and then I'm sure I might just find it in my heart to sell.

Stupid money means a player is not for sale.

When managing Liverpool, if a team wanted to buy, say Torres or Gerrard (maybe even Mascherano) they would genuinely have to stump up about £150-£200Million and then I'm sure I might just find it in my heart to sell.

Stupid money means a player is not for sale.

Exactly, but they are also factoring in the fact that every player has his price.

Torres is a good example. Why would Liverpool sell him for anything less than £100 million?

- They bought him for £20m last year,

- He's become the focal point of their team,

- they would have to replace him as they have noone else of his quality in their squad.

- In selling him they would send out a message to their fans that they are not a powerful club.

- They would be significantly strengthening a champion's league rival in the process.

£100m seems cheap!

Exactly, but they are also factoring in the fact that every player has his price.

Torres is a good example. Why would Liverpool sell him for anything less than £100 million?

- They bought him for £20m last year,

- He's become the focal point of their team,

- they would have to replace him as they have noone else of his quality in their squad.

- In selling him they would send out a message to their fans that they are not a powerful club.

- They would be significantly strengthening a champion's league rival in the process.

£100m seems cheap!

all those things applied to torres's old team but yet they sold him for 20 mil to sell him on now for 100 mil isnt realistic the most ever spent is 46 mil and that was for the best player in the world at that time anything over 60 mil is just plain stupid as it wouldnt happen in real life

Torres wasn't the player he is now, and also wanted to leave. This is the difference you can't seem to accept,

Buffon doesn't want to leave. Juventus don't want him to leave. Therefore, you can't buy him. Also your point about it not happening in real life is rather redundant; unless you've paid that much for him, it hasn't happened in the game either.

it wasnt tho if i had paid it they would of accepted it so in other words he was for sale at that price all im saying is that price is unrealistic

No!! The price was intended to put you off! Yes, they would have accepted it. But only because it is a stupidly high amount.

it wasnt tho if i had paid it they would of accepted it so in other words he was for sale at that price all im saying is that price is unrealistic

Any team in the world would accept £100m, no matter who the player was, if the opposing team is willing to pay it more fool them. It's not very hard to read between the lines and think, "the player isn't for sale unless silly money is involved"? It's common sense.

As for your Zidane comparison, that was years ago and prices have moved on. Is SWP half the player Zidane was? His price says he is, but we all know different, in the modern game Zidane would be worth £70-£80m easy and that's not waht the team would ask for because he wouldn't be for sale.

I have a jar of coffee on my desk, it's really nice coffee and it cost £3. One of my colleagues wants to buy it off me and asks how much i'm looking for it, but I don't want to sell it so I say £50 to put him off, if he's stupid enough to pay it then more fool him, and if he baulks at the price then he's taken the hint that it's not for sale.

I have a jar of coffee on my desk, it's really nice coffee and it cost £3. One of my colleagues wants to buy it off me and asks how much i'm looking for it, but I don't want to sell it so I say £50 to put him off, if he's stupid enough to pay it then more fool him, and if he baulks at the price then he's taken the hint that it's not for sale.

yes i fully accept that they dont want to sell him but to ask 115 mil is unrealistic im betting in real life if some one bounced a figure of say 50 mil juventus would start to reconsider there loyalty to him

yes i fully accept that they dont want to sell him but to ask 115 mil is unrealistic im betting in real life if some one bounced a figure of say 50 mil juventus would start to reconsider there loyalty to him

You're talking about the selling figure which is probably a different figure to the 115m they told you.

Archived