To easy to be offered top jobs..

My guess is that you set your reputation as International Footballer, so you created the unrealistic rep rather than the game performing in an unrealistic manner. Set your rep as Sunday league and you won't get offered any jobs until you've achieved a hell of a lot.

My guess is that you set your reputation as International Footballer, so you created the unrealistic rep rather than the game performing in an unrealistic manner. Set your rep as Sunday league and you won't get offered any jobs until you've achieved a hell of a lot.

just had a look, yes i did set it as that, but even still it's a bit soon to be offered them kind of jobs is it not? i mean when did a conference manager get offered a top world job?

just had a look, yes i did set it as that, but even still it's a bit soon to be offered them kind of jobs is it not? i mean when did a conference manager get offered a top world job?

Paul Ince made a very hefty leap from MK Dons to Blackburn, he'd done well at MK Dons but the mainr eason is his reputation, which was built up as a player.

Paul Ince made a very hefty leap from MK Dons to Blackburn, he'd done well at MK Dons but the mainr eason is his reputation, which was built up as a player.

agreed but i would say that mk dons are significantly bigger than gateshead and man city bigger than blackburn, i'm not really moaning just find it a bit unrealistic am really loving the game.

Anyway i'm turning them all down as i wanna win the big three with gateshead.

p.s just been offered the lazio job???

true, but either way his reputation was the main reason for him getting the job. IMO if he had done a good job with Gateshead rather than MK Dons he would still have been flavour of the month and Newcastle etc would have been after him. There are many managers who have done a better job down in league 1/2, but no prem club would touch them because they don't have the profile that Ince had.

Garath Southgate and Tony Adams, both had 0 managment experience and are now managing premier league sides...

its very easy to get jobs these days, how any international manager have went from retirement straight into international jobs. Ryjkaard, Van Basten, Hughes, Klinsmann. That used to be the pinnacle of a managers career back in the day. Not any more.

Few other people have listed Southgate, Adams and I remember one John Barnes but we all know how that one worked out :D

The mistake within professional football. Not starting at the bottom means you get nowhere. Paul Ince, Tony Adams, Gareth Southgate, Gianfranco Zola...they have achieved sooo much (not) by being considered good at management just because they were former internationals.

Martin O'Neil began at the bottom and look at him now, no-one would suggest he isn't a decent manager.

Ok ok, I think the point has been proved :D Nothing to do with FM, but does anyone agree that we will never see another Ferguson or Redknapp style manager who worked their way to the top?

Nigel Clough,I think he has a chance to work his way up.

As to the op John Barnes>Celtic,top footballer no manager experience giving a big club to manage and what a great job he did too :p

You'll get the odd few still grounding their way up to the top but it will be far less than before. IMO we have seen the end of the Fergusons or Redknapps. Also remember both clubs and managers don't have much patience these days to stay somewhere for so long. Dowie is a prime example, why on earth teams keep employing him should require an X-Files style investigation!

The mistake within professional football. Not starting at the bottom means you get nowhere. Paul Ince, Tony Adams, Gareth Southgate, Gianfranco Zola...they have achieved sooo much (not) by being considered good at management just because they were former internationals.

Martin O'Neil began at the bottom and look at him now, no-one would suggest he isn't a decent manager.

Yeah, Zola, Adams and Ince should have achieved so much more in their couple of months managing in the top flight.

agreed but i would say that mk dons are significantly bigger than gateshead and man city bigger than blackburn, i'm not really moaning just find it a bit unrealistic am really loving the game.

Anyway i'm turning them all down as i wanna win the big three with gateshead.

p.s just been offered the lazio job???

I also don't feel it is all that unrealistic. If you were a top class footballer, you are well known already with a good reputation. Then you have shown you are a good manager too, winning the league in your debut year as a manager. Irl you would then be regarded to be a big managerial talent too and likely to get a chance at a top level. Whether it would have to be Villa, Newcastle and City may be debated but I really feel it's not way off.

Archived