Is FM2009 more enjoyable than FM2008?

I downloaded the demo of FM 2009 but never got to play it as I’ve been enjoying my game in FM 2008 so much.

From what I’ve been reading it seems as though there are a few issues with FM 2009 but overall is it a more enjoyable game? Should I buy it soon or wait until I’ve exhausted my game in FM 2008?

Not for me. Of course I like all the new things, but the "slowness" of the whole match engine just makes it a pain to me. Even the thing about it not switching correct between 2d/3d (key) to stats, annoys me... I hope the last mentioned thing will be fixed soon. Cant believe they didnt do it with the first patch ?? :S:S:S:S

Hold on, my understanding of it is that it is the same match engine with the crazy arrow system removed. Am I wrong?

wot u trying to say ?

ok i admit i didnt give reason for my criticism so ill post it for the 50th time.

how can a game be more enjoyable when after 1 patch the only goals that you score and concede are 30 yard punts or free kicks. There is no team build up goals or sending strikers through 1 on 1 just pot shots. this is why there are posts say my strikers cant score or their av rating is to low. well they wont score or have a rating if the midfielders or in some cases defenders(like benard mendy scoring 2 30 yarders againt me in one match) just shoot.

Also the players transfer listed at the start of the game is unrealitic... eg Luis Garcia Espanyol, one of their best p[layers IRL and spain international but on list for £3million WTF :s.

this is why 2008 after a patch was more enjoyable.

wot u trying to say ?

ok i admit i didnt give reason for my criticism so ill post it for the 50th time.

how can a game be more enjoyable when after 1 patch the only goals that you score and concede are 30 yard punts or free kicks. There is no team build up goals or sending strikers through 1 on 1 just pot shots. this is why there are posts say my strikers cant score or their av rating is to low. well they wont score or have a rating if the midfielders or in some cases defenders(like benard mendy scoring 2 30 yarders againt me in one match) just shoot.

Also the players transfer listed at the start of the game is unrealitic... eg Luis Garcia Espanyol, one of their best p[layers IRL and spain international but on list for £3million WTF :s.

I was concerned about the likelihood of long distance blasters becoming the staple goals of FM09 but I have to disagree with you, have scored many scrappy efforts - long balls run onto, short through balls in a crowded area & goalmouth pinball type goals. I think it is quite realistic in that respect, maybe see it as IRL more goals are scored from long range now than in the 70's probably due to the new zippy ball replacing the waterlogged heavy sponges of old, and that ratio of long/short range goals is more akin to 2008 IRL stats than IRL stats of 30 years ago.

Also must be an effect of tactics & player quality. I have only played FM09 at League 1 level but it looked realistic for that level. Only had one attempted overhead kick so far and I dont think that has come back to earth yet!

Sorry but I'm going back to FM2008. My laptop is only 2 years old and while it's not the quickest, it really struggles with FM2009, but is it all down to the laptop? I doubt it!!

Can anyone remember how many patches we had for FM2008, was it v8.02?? I am going to re-install this, but I guess I'll have to find the patches to download again, and also the last update that was done??!? I wish I hadn't removed it from my laptop now!!

Here's me hoping that an update is done to accomdate the changes made in FM09 but I doubt it.

Then I will keep the other one for if / when I have a laptop upgrade but still have a feeling that FM08 will be better!

First impression : I hate this, the match engines broken, that must be a bug... complain.

After 3 days playing : I love this. This is the best management game so far. Little tweaks and features are gradually revealing themselves. Well thought out game & match engine. Much better than the previous click-n-win versions.

I think it's got the makings to be the best in the series. Once Si have ironed out a few more bugs and fine tuned a few things it'll show it's true potential.

However, despite this, Si really have let themselves down this time round.

No team build up? ...I was Charlton Athletic and I scored some nice team goals, with passing along the floor, or crosses finished off by headers... The crowd cheered when the team were passing the ball around, and this was against hard championship sides...

The only thing I don't like is "Setting up Match"... especially on a network game.

wot u trying to say ?

i'm sorry but you must be playing a different game to me, i'm enjoying this more than any other game, the match engine is almost perfect, as for strikers not scoring I too found that at first but kept with it and kept tweaking my tactics and individual sliders and now in my gateshead save with not very good stikers between all 4 they have scored 53 in 85 games. Which has taken me to the top of the conference. I also told 2 of them to learn new ppm of rounding the keeper and i have to say it's an absolute joy to see them showing off their new skill! It's the old chestnut you're tactics are not good enough, for a real life comparison look at spurs under ramos, no goals hardly, now redknapp is in they can't stop scoring!!

Asd for the transfers there are 1 or 2 unusall ones but none that would affect the playablility of the game in any way!

Speed wise i'm running more leagues than ever and it's zipping through!

I think it's got the makings to be the best in the series. Once Si have ironed out a few more bugs and fine tuned a few things it'll show it's true potential.

However, despite this, Si really have let themselves down this time round.

I have to ask how do you deel they have let themselves down. Any major bugs have been ironed out with a patch on go live date and the game seems fairly stable. I will admit that the slowness of the match day experience on my computer is annoying but that is to do with me having a 4 year old dell on a ventilator. I just run the normal 2-D from 08. Do you find that its game play or the overall speed thats the problem?

Archived