A Tactic for Mid Table Security and review

Before I start giving the info on my tactic I wish to make a couple of points.

* This is not guaranteed to work 100% of the time for 100% of the teams. I have tried it with Portsmouth and Havant and Waterlooville and had acceptable success.

* I will not upload the tactic as I wish others to see how I built it and see if there is room for improvement(which I know there is). If someone wishes to build it and post it so be it.

* This tactic works heavily with Opposition Instructions. So if you are not wanting to constantly tinker during a game to counter Opponants changes then this will probably not be for you.

* I don't have screenshot handy for Matches but I have beaten Man Utd twice in the Community Shield and have beaten Everton 2-0 away and Aston villa and Sunderland 2-1 and 3-2 respectively at home.

First and foremost the positions of the players.

positionsrg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

As you can see it is a rather attacking formation of 4-1-3-2. With the forward runs the full backs and wingers overlap to provide good openings. With the 2 forwards I am attempting to have an out and out poacher on the right and a big lump Target man to set him up on the left. With Portsmouth I am blessed with Crouch and Defoe to fill these positions perfectly.

For the 2 wingers and Full backs the 2 most vital stats are pace and crossing as I have seen in the macth engine that with a right player they will burst away and get the cross better if they can beat the opponant.

In the tinkering stages of making this tactic I have found that Diarra works as a fantastic Playmaker but depending on who you are you may have to move this to the AMC.

The Team Instructions show that I am playing wide and trying to focus down the flanks as I am looking at the method of hitting the Target man on the head. Although I have zonal marking on the Team Instructions I have given the 2 DC Man Marking so they can get the opposition forwards.

teaminstrjq1.th.jpgthpix.gif

AMC

amcinstrzq9.th.jpg

AML and AMR

amlrinstrzo4.th.jpg

SCL

sclinstrqg1.th.jpg

SCR

scrinstrcn8.th.jpg

Although in the first image you see what players I have there this is on a second save that is more for tinkering then full play. Below I will give information on which players I have used in which position.

For Goalkeeper Portsmouth have James in goal which is a pretty solid place to start. I wasn't happy with Ashdown as backup and wanted Bergovic out on Loan so brought in Westerveld on a free as backup as he seems ok till Bergovic is up to scratch

In the Left Full back I have stuck with Belhadj as a starter and also see Armand Traore as a good backup so made no immeadiate changes there. As both are on loan I will assess nearer the end of the season if I want to retain them or look for alternatives

In the Right Full Back I have kept faith with Glen Johnson but also bought in Belletti from Chelsea as cover.

For the Central defence it can depend on how you play your game as on the tinkering save I am only running English Leagues and Caceres is available on Loan and is a great aquisition whereas on my main game where I am running a few more leagues Caceres is not available so I have kept with Distin and Kaboul. If you can get him Guy Demal works as a great alternative to Caceres.

The midfield position is only really going to go with Diarra. I have tried with Thomas Graveson but I don't see him as a long term replacement should Diarra leave or be injured. Arnold Mvuemba does hold out well enough should he be need but this is one area that is important to have decent cover if you get an ijury.

In the Attacking Midfielder role Portsmouth are limited and Kranjcar is the only real person who can play there and give a consistant performance. Like the MC role this is an area that requires good cover. I have again tried a freebie in Gerard but he doesn't seem to be the player he used to be in past FM's so you will need to buy a decent player.

For the Left Winger Jerome Thomas is decent but you can do better and I brought in a Czech called Skirl(sp?) who has excellent skills and pace and fills the role perfectly. In Thomas you have a perfect cover so shouldn't need to move far there.

Like the Right wing is pretty much ok as is. Utaka fills the role well and Glen Little is a decent backup but age is not on his side so further back for later in the game is needed. In my main game I have brought in Rommadahl and his Pace is a different matter as he beats the opposition almost everytime.

In the Left Striker you need a tall player as he is your target man. As previously mentioned Crouch is there already and fits the bill but Abreau(sp?) who is another freebie is a quality backup.

The right striker is the only area I have been strugling on as I have not been getting the performances I want. It maybe down to me needing to tweak the instructions further. Defoe has shown to be ok and I have also tried Jozy Altidore who has worked well. As you can see in the screenshot I have also tried Gudjohnsen but he has failed there and I have had better performances out of him in the left striker and AMC roles. I was mildly surprised to find that Portsmouth do have a decent youngster that fills to role acceptably in Paris Cowan-Hall.

Although i have named players these are only what I have used for my Portsmouth games and differnt players might do differently for different teams.

For opposition instructions it is pretty basic.

On GK close down and hard tackling, For ML/AML/AMR/MR close down, weaker foot and hard tackles. For MC/DMC/AMC Close down and weaker foot and for SC Tight marking and weaker foot. Your Assistant might give you more instructions during the game so other than what I have given it is your choice whether to add the assmans as well. the reason I say this is dependant on OI is due to the goals I ship being done by players who are subs that I have not added OI to and this is for ALL. goals conceded.

I hope people will try this out and give feedback if they tweak it to make it better

At the moment I am not wanting to upload it purely to use it as a learn as you go tactic where you find out how it works as you build it up. I may upload in future if people start to show interest in it.

Archived