Question about activating

Well I made a mistake, I said that you could play this game without being connected to the internet, but that is in fact wrong. You have to be connected to the internet to play this game. I find this outrageous and disgusting. I'm considering selling this game simply because I feel like SI are trying to control me. I paid £30 for this game and I don't feel like I should have to have you guys authenticate it before I can play it. I'm saying this from a customer perspective, my view of Sports Interactive has been seriously damaged. I view your company as complete lowlives.

Anyway, I used Steam to install my game, if I uninstall and then use the other option, will it allow me to play my game without having to connect?

Look, I have broadband access at my home, it's just in the RARE case I have no connection, it means that I can't play FM. Secondly, I still find it sickening I simply can't play the game I PAYED FOR! It seems as if the folks at SI think everyone in the world is evil.

I'd like to know which incompetent fool decided to use this method of installing, so the people that paid their money for this game can go and tell them what they think of him.

Thanks for nothing.

Just for anyone who says you can play this game without being connected.

Shut down your PC/Laptop. Then go turn off your internet modem. Turn on your PC/Laptop, click "run FM" and you'll get a message like this, " Game not available" or "Steam can't connect". Then turn off your PC/Laptop, turn your internet modem back on, then turn your PC/Laptop back on and run FM. It will work.

Why do you need to be connected to the internet to play, seems silly.

If that is the Case, Does it Download KB's whilst you are playing, Im on Mobile Broadband as I dont have a Phone Line, I have a 3Gb a month dowload limit and get charged 15p per MB over that limit.

If FM2009 is gonna cost me the earth just to play, after paying an excessive £30.00 for it in the first place, I think ill give it a miss.

I also uninstalled the irritating and pointless Steam.

I think if you give it time, you'd grow to love Steam, I know I did. Played Valve (the company that run Steam) games like Half Life and Counter Strike for years and when they introduced Steam it was a bit worrying. They didn't even have offline mode! But the first time I changed my PC was probably the first time I was thankful for it - it was just a case of starting up Steam and re-downloading the games, even ones I'd bought years before and had long lost the CD and CD Keys for. One of the main features of Steam is online multiplayer - obviously online multiplayer is not for everyone in Football Manager, but Steam will make it much easier for those who do want to play it. Hopefully future versions will also utilise Steam Cloud so that I can play the same saved game on my desktop, my PC and (don't tell the boss) work.

1) The game can be run without Steam directly from C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/football manager 2009/fm.exe

2) Steam has an offline mode where it basically acts as a launcher for your games.

I have tried this my friend, and it doesn't work.

Well I made a mistake, I said that you could play this game without being connected to the internet, but that is in fact wrong. You have to be connected to the internet to play this game. I find this outrageous and disgusting. I'm considering selling this game simply because I feel like SI are trying to control me. I paid £30 for this game and I don't feel like I should have to have you guys authenticate it before I can play it. I'm saying this from a customer perspective, my view of Sports Interactive has been seriously damaged. I view your company as complete lowlives.

Anyway, I used Steam to install my game, if I uninstall and then use the other option, will it allow me to play my game without having to connect?

Look, I have broadband access at my home, it's just in the RARE case I have no connection, it means that I can't play FM. Secondly, I still find it sickening I simply can't play the game I PAYED FOR! It seems as if the folks at SI think everyone in the world is evil.

I'd like to know which incompetent fool decided to use this method of installing, so the people that paid their money for this game can go and tell them what they think of him.

Thanks for nothing.

You can play without being connected to the internet WITH the Steam installation as GavinZac has pointed out.

one thing i would like to know. why does fm09 try to access the internet when i first load the game up?

i dont have an internet access but i load the game up and it gives me that spinny logo thing at the bottom right with all the differnet languages. and it stayed like that for ages. so i minimized fm and found a little pop up from my NOD32 application telling me that fm09 is 'trying to access the trusted zone. do i accept?' obviously i say no and it loads up fine.

one thing i would like to know. why does fm09 try to access the internet when i first load the game up?

i dont have an internet access but i load the game up and it gives me that spinny logo thing at the bottom right with all the differnet languages. and it stayed like that for ages. so i minimized fm and found a little pop up from my NOD32 application telling me that fm09 is 'trying to access the trusted zone. do i accept?' obviously i say no and it loads up fine.

It's easier to test for internet connection when a program is starting up than right in the middle. Presumably it's checking if you can use Network Game straight away.

Archived