Which Match engine do you use? 2D or 3D?

Which Match Engine do you use?  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Which Match Engine do you use?

• 2D
    • 3D
    • Sometimes one, sometimes the other.

I've used 3D for every match so far and I can't see myself going back to blobs. I'm loving seeing how my players impliment my formations, how they react to my tactics, how they deal with my tweaks and how they generally work as a team, or don't.

Generally the 3D feel of the game makes you more involved, you can actually believe that you're in charge of real, breathing, running, walking, passing, intelligent players now, instead of dots on a top-down green table. For me the 3D thing adds realizism, and for that reason alone Football Manager 2009 is the most enjoyable of the series.

I've hated every football Manager, to date, but I'm loving this version.

Which match engine are you using?

I have been using the 3d one but i am interested in giving the 2d one a shot since there is talk of it being much more realistic.

How about you? And specific reason for using the one you chose?

Did you leave out 'Commentary only' on purpose?

I've switched to using that for matches against minor opponents.

2D but thats because whilst 3D runs on my computer, I get very poor rendering quality, where lines and sometimes big green blobs are other the screen. Sometimes this is barely noticeable, but sometimes you can hardly see anything so I'm just sticking to 2D til I know how to fix this.

2d for me.

although i don't think that the 3d offering is that bad (and represents a decent first attempt and one that is absolutely necessary if the game is to evolve), it isn't that good either. some of the movements and decisions are so strange (at times) that i get incredibly frustrated watching it.

with 2d, the mistakes are far less apparent.

2D but thats because whilst 3D runs on my computer, I get very poor rendering quality, where lines and sometimes big green blobs are other the screen. Sometimes this is barely noticeable, but sometimes you can hardly see anything so I'm just sticking to 2D til I know how to fix this.

sometimes the 3d engine runs very smoothly for me and other times its very clunky. Im thinking about giving the 2d a run today.

why not using 3D match Engine if you play this game? Although the 3D match engine is not good enough, but its really BETTER than just READ the words and feel the atmosphere by your own imagination.

the 2d has a visual representation too. It just leaves more to the imagination, and many find it easier to read the game through it.

After spending the last 2 days playing and tyring out both i think im gonna go back to the 2d, as benjamino said the 3d can be hugely frustrating, the players can just stand there not doing anythin with the ball and it drives me insane. As said above though it is the best 3d management ive played or seen but im gonna stick to the 2d for the mo and see how it goes

3D every match.

Whilst the 2D was good, I feel the 3D representation better illustrates players individual attributes, my tactics and formation etc.

Have to say, I'm loving the game so far - even if the performance is a little sluggish. Top stuff though.

• 4 weeks later...
2D

3D is just a poor 90's football game, why do we need it?

its the future, we had to start somewhere... I'm sure I'd be quite annoyed if FM2024 didnt have a top notch 3d view in which we can manage our favorite team and watch the games in as realistic a way as possible.

That said, I'm quite happy with this first try, its a very good start.

everyone kindly try to leave comments too about ways to improve it, annoyances, etc.

I've done quite a lot of that in various threads, so I'll just say that, on the whole, I'm pleased enough with the 3D.

Whatever its shortcomings, I find it far easier to understand what's happening on the pitch than I ever could with 2D.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a similar question for those who use 3D, what view do you use?

I personally use zoomed vertical scrolling, but would be interested in what others used.

i go for elevated... i like to be able to see everyone on the pitch's positioning and it also gives me a good idea of the defensive line depth.

Archived