Rediculous goals

I've managed to build myself a tactic that keeps teams at bay and allows me to play reasonably well against them, however, it seems in response to this, every club has been practicing their long range shots, John Terry scored 4 goals against my side from 25+ yards - hardly a world renowned striker is he?

It's happening everywhere, and attempts to change keepers, and even teams are having no joy. It seems far too many players have mastered the art of long shooting, even lower league players (in a cup game as man utd, a 16 year old youth for macclesfield smashed 3 past van der sar with a long shooting stat of 2 and he only had 4 shots all game).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a rediculous amount of long range efforts go in or if its just the way these tactics are panning out, because so far after 10 games with man utd I've conceded only 2 goals from teams breaking me down, conceded 19 from more than 25 yards out.

On my stoke save it's even worse, 60 goals conceded from over 25 yards out, less than 10 from being broken down, and I'm in april.

May well be my tactics, just seems a little absurd that all these players - who aren't even great strikers of the ball are able to decimate my side, but give it to gerrard, lampard, drogba, torres etc and they fall flat on thier faces and go miles wide with shots.

You're not alone santy. At the very least the amount of long shots is certainly above the norm, seems anyone in any outfield position reckons they have a chance if they're given the space.

As for the success rate, yeah, that's a bit dubious as well. It's currently not rare enough a thing to see someone slam in 30/40 yard efforts who's Long Shots stat is in the single figures.

Furthermore watching your own players opting for these efforts time and time again when they actually have the time/space to either carry the ball closer to goal before shooting or pass it to someone else is pretty frustrating.

Indeed, on my stoke save, Anderson scored 7 past me in one season, on my manchester united save he hasn't scored one all season, and I'm troubled to remember any he got on target lol. Wonder if any more people are having similar issues.

It's getting beyond a joke for me now, my team will have shots all day long on their keeper and not score from inside the box, then they get on the half way line so my team falls back into rank, and then someone just shoots and puts it straight in the top corner past my keeper. Playing as Man Utd, Aston Villa put 5 past me, 3 from Barry who was just shooting from long range for fun.

It's seriously getting on my nerves now, I've tried different saves and tactics with different teams, but it just keeps happening to me, I've got about 20 games in on 3 saves, and conceded over 200 goals. About 90% of which were long range efforts, can't keep playing the game like this.

Got sacked on my stoke save because my first two keepers were out and I was playing a youth keeper, and conceded 30 goals in 4 games. Only 1 (which was a penalty) was scored from within the box during that time.

And there is still the issue of every long range hump from the goalkeeper finding their player, already five yards ahead of your defence, and who always takes it around, lobs it over or just beats your keeper.

I've had three one on ones in this game and he's hit all three straight at the 'keeper. his instructions are to take the ball around the 'keeper. he's not tried it once yet.

This is quite funny. What i actually noticed was that in my game nobody seems to score from long range. I've also played with manutd, conceded only one goal from distance in 6 months and scored two, or three... most of my (and the opposition's) long shots go way over the bar...

what's your tactics like, santy?

On my stoke save, I play a 4-1-3-2, a DM to sit infront of defence, with the 3 midfielders coming back to help if needed, so it does form a tight wall tough for opposition teams to get through.

With Man Utd I play more attacking, 4-1-3-2, 3 AM's and 1 CM in this formation, but still they come back and help with defending a bit, its more open but I can rely on the defenders there.

With Mansfield I play a typical 4-4-2, not overly defensive or attacking, but in the middle. Even at this level teams still rifle goals in past me.

These games are all tactical experiments for my network game (where my team is stoke) and even then I have issues conceding long range goals.

I agree. there are too much goals scored with long shots from sidereal distance, even with players that have a low-shooting rate. On the other hand I think that there are few goal on one-on-one. my fowards almost always shoot out or on goalkeeper's face. And finally there is a ridicoulus number of posts or cross bars hitted (3 or 4!!!!) per match!

Fm2009 it's a really good game. if SI could adjust a little the match engine FM2009 will be the best iteration of the FM legacy!

I tried closing down as I thought it was the first solution, but if you set to close down defenders all the time etc, your team are going to be all over the place, and I think this was illustrated when sunderland put 5 past me in 10 minutes of trying to close down more because my team were opening up all over the pitch for them to play through.

Archived