Someone from SI please answer

Perhaps he would like SI to incl. a microphone with the game such that you can speak directly to the individual player and the team as a whole..! Now THAT would be great! :p

More serious though: The sliders are great!

FM slider system quite easy??? You must be kidding.

I want to tell my players to in example close down only one player not all of them or to stand slightly deeper from the center and that I do not have to click on one slider and wonder what it will do.

Does the closing down own area really means that???

FM slider system quite easy??? You must be kidding.

I want to tell my players to in example close down only one player not all of them or to stand slightly deeper from the center and that I do not have to click on one slider and wonder what it will do.

Does the closing down own area really means that???

Close down in own half. In the Opposition instructions, select the player in question and select close down as "always"

If you want to close down one player, highlight that player in the opposition instructions and select Closing Down 'Always'

If you want a player to stand slightly deeper then give him a slightly more defensive mentality.

There is no way you can make those two things simpler.

Working out how the sliders interact with each other is another matter altogether - the interface could be simpler, but then getting your tactics right shouldn't be too easy.

And why it is necessary to change tactics for every game and why is it so hard to train in Spain than in UK

Because every game is different. Fm is a simulation of football. Do you think Fergie, Wenger and Scolari keep the tactics the same the whole match?

And why it is necessary to change tactics for every game

Who said it was? Some managers always keep the same tactics, others have different tactics depending on who they're playing against.

why is it so hard to train in Spain than in UK

Aside from your terrible grammar, Spain is warmer than the UK and people get tired faster when it's warm. In my experience, anyways.

I find the system quite confusing, and the 3D is implemented quite bad. I still did not find how to substitute players except before the match ot at halftime. It is not intuitive. I think to buy FIFA manager 09 more and more. Also see somewere that thread about someone asking to move the camera to hide the empty space around stadium, plus the pich looks like a swamp and players run in place, the ball is flying like a rocket, no realistic physics here.

I find the system quite confusing, and the 3D is implemented quite bad. I still did not find how to substitute players except before the match ot at halftime. It is not intuitive. I think to buy FIFA manager 09 more and more. Also see somewere that thread about someone asking to move the camera to hide the empty space around stadium, plus the pich looks like a swamp and players run in place, the ball is flying like a rocket, no realistic physics here.

If you want an arcade game FIFA 09 would suit you perfectly, if you want a football management sim.......

Seriously? Subbing players is very easy and intuitive as far as I'm concerned. Go to the tactics page, and click and drag a sub to replace someone on the field. What more do you want?

TT&F post.......It tells you everything you need to know to draw up tactics

He's right, the TT&F tactic guide on the tactics forum is astounding. I feel for anyone who has problems with tactics. I just started playing the game last year and really struggled with tactics and I'm sure they can be difficult even if you've been playing a long time.

I've read lots of guides that are too vague and don't really address how truly make a variety of tactics for different situations. Seriously, try reading the guide and spend a few hours making some tactics and I think you'll see that they become pretty intuitive.

Thing is while the slider system is not the most accurate system and is open to alot of confusion there isnt really a better system around tbh.

Granted maybe the whole thing could be explained better (the fact that a huge adobe document detailing its quirks which took years to make exists tells us its not easy to use) but i cant really think of a better way of doing it and neither apparently can anyone at SI or they clearly would have done so by now.

I do agree that the sliders aren't the best. If you don't really study the behaviour of the players very closely while testing or read alot here then it's hard to really be sure of what it is that you are telling your players when you have setup a tactic.

I've been thinking about this alot today and asked the two friends I got playing online with what they thought they where telling their players with a few of the sliders in their tactics and they where wrong about most of them when I compared to what I learned through the excellent big tactics thread in the tactics forum.

Setting up a successful tactics shouldn't be easy, but using the tactics should be if that makes sense :)

Read the articles and threads on creating a tactic they are great. Tells you all about the sliders and theories. After I read them I created 2 tactics for the premiership (Home and Away). I won the league in my first season with tottenham (FM 08), highest position before that was 4.

The thing I dont like about this game is the arrows in the tactic screen. You can only set short forward or back, no side ways or diagonal (This sucks because IRL im am almost positive that a manager could tell a player to make a diagonal run)

Read the articles and threads on creating a tactic they are great. Tells you all about the sliders and theories. After I read them I created 2 tactics for the premiership (Home and Away). I won the league in my first season with tottenham (FM 08), highest position before that was 4.

The thing I dont like about this game is the arrows in the tactic screen. You can only set short forward or back, no side ways or diagonal (This sucks because IRL im am almost positive that a manager could tell a player to make a diagonal run)

The arrows now only refer to the setting of the 'forward run' slider - forward arrow = often, back arrow = rarely.

You've neatly shown why the arrows were removed: most people didn't understand them. Arrows in the old FMs dictated that a player should take up two positions - one when the team didn't have the ball, and one when they did. So, for example, you could use a diagonal arrow to tell a player to play as an AMR or AML when you didn't have possession, and as a striker when you did.

Note: this is quite different from a diagonal run; the arrow was forcing the player to try and take up two totally different positions and charge blindly from one to the other when your team won/lost possession - irrespective of what was going on in the game.

This made little sense from a footballing perspective, and caused quite a lot of confusion as well as allowing a lot of exploitation of the match engine.

In the new system, the lack of arrows has led to SI coding a much more realistic model of football, with players acting out their 'roles' much better - DMs play like DMs, wingers like wingers and so on. If you want to encourage a player to cut inside, this can be achieved quite simply in a number of ways - setting cross ball to 'rarely' for example, or playing a left footed player on the right wing and vice versa.

SI are also looking into the possibility of adding additional, new, realistic features into the ME to fill any perceived gaps left by the loss of the arrows.

The arrows now only refer to the setting of the 'forward run' slider - forward arrow = often, back arrow = rarely.

You've neatly shown why the arrows were removed: most people didn't understand them. Arrows in the old FMs dictated that a player should take up two positions - one when the team didn't have the ball, and one when they did. So, for example, you could use a diagonal arrow to tell a player to play as an AMR or AML when you didn't have possession, and as a striker when you did.

Note: this is quite different from a diagonal run; the arrow was forcing the player to try and take up two totally different positions and charge blindly from one to the other when your team won/lost possession - irrespective of what was going on in the game.

This made little sense from a footballing perspective, and caused quite a lot of confusion as well as allowing a lot of exploitation of the match engine.

In the new system, the lack of arrows has led to SI coding a much more realistic model of football, with players acting out their 'roles' much better - DMs play like DMs, wingers like wingers and so on. If you want to encourage a player to cut inside, this can be achieved quite simply in a number of ways - setting cross ball to 'rarely' for example, or playing a left footed player on the right wing and vice versa.

SI are also looking into the possibility of adding additional, new, realistic features into the ME to fill any perceived gaps left by the loss of the arrows.

Well that helps, thanks. But if I have 2 cm's and I want one to be the AMC and the arrow goes straight ahead then he is slightly off center, which I dont like.

Aye, a few individual checkboxes would be nice, such as a "cut inside" option and individual width bars.

I also wouldn't be opposed to a "positioning" slider as well as the mentality. Mentality would affect the approach (look to attack or just pass around, over commit or sit back letting less runners make their runs) while positioning (or a better name) could be used to make one striker sit deeper, a midfielder push up or the like. Similar to defensive line, but a player by player option affecting attacking players too.

Archived