European Qualification through League Cup

So I managed to get to the League Cup final, hooray! However I was pitted against an exceptionally strong looking Arsenal side. "Not a problem!" I thought, as I checked the competition rules to confirm that the winner did in fact qualify for the following year's UEFA Cup. Arsenal would surely go on [and they did] to finish in the top four and earn themselves a Champions League place, thus freeing up that UEFA Cup place for the runner up, being me.

My 3-0 trouncing would be irrelevant, I thought, as I figured I'd qualify anyway, but come the end of the season this inexplicably wasn't the case and I'm not in the UEFA Cup this year.

Is it then to be concluded that this runner up rule only applies to the FA Cup [a la Millwall a few years ago] and not the League Cup?

Guest roberto922

Nope there was a big fuss on Toffeeweb when our (evertons) form went off the rails about whether we would get a UEFA place for the LC final when we were in the semis, but it was concluded that only the winner of the League Cup that gets one and then the winner of the FA Cup gets one or if they have already qualified through other means then the runners up will qualify, along with the winner of the Fair Play league (if england get it) and the highest placed team that has applied for intertoto and NOT qualified through any other means.

Archived