Really starting to enjoy FM09 now

Was going to wait to get FM09 until Crimbo by which time I hoped any initial problems would be ironed out, but when my girlfriend commented that I shown an uncharacteristic lack of interest in the new game, and would I like it as an early Christmas present, I found myself physically unable to utter the word 'no'.

Had no problems installing/validating (achieved by steering well clear of Steam) but I must say I was initally lukewarm - the press conferences havent won me over, as its just giving the same generic responses time after time, and the questions are often repeated in a slightly rehashed format. Also the Assistant feedback I have long since stop paying attention to. It didnt help that my Alfreton team was struggling in a big way, and I was finding it difficult to get the necessary players in.

But now we've turned the corner, and Im especially starting to enjoy the 3D match engine. I know its not perfect, far from it, but I really enjoy watching the 6'4 ox I plucked from the reserves blunder about whacking defenders and scoring crap goals, and the look of stupid pleasure on his face every time he scores (alright I cant quite make that out, but I can imagine it). Theres just something ultimately more satisftying about watching your team score goals in glorious 3D, sat there with a smug smile on your face going 'I made that happen I did.'

Yes, I think I might be set to lose yet another major portion of my life to the Collyer brothers and their creations. Unplug the phone, get the supplies in, batten down the hatches, its going to be a long week.

Archived