Motivation to carry on

I can't play with big clubs, they bore me. All the money you could wish for, makes things too easy.

As RICO said: LLM is the way to avoid getting blase. Nothing like staying in the Swedish lowest division for ten seasons in a row to get that 'when the going gets tough' feeling. The satisfaction after finally getting that promotion is more satisfying than anything else you'll ever experience with FM :)

I normally manage Newcastle in my first season. Big club? Maybe. I usually become a little tired by the fouth season if I've managed to win the Prem. Winning the CL though? Only managed it twice on FM06!

I've started out with QPR in the Championship this time around though. I will move up to them Prem either with QPR, or when another manager gets sacked in a season or two. There may be a lot to 'fix' at a club if I take them on as they stare at relegation...

To win FA Cup and CL in first season though, good going!

Yeh I know about all these challenges

I just want to know what you think about a big club

Do you get bored after your first season ?

The objective at a big club is to win trophies season after season.

When managing Barca, my motivation is to win trophies season after season, spending big money on big players and developing youngsters who one day will be world class.

Managing big clubs should be for life, not just for one season.

The objective at a big club is to win trophies season after season.

When managing Barca, my motivation is to win trophies season after season, spending big money on big players and developing youngsters who one day will be world class.

Managing big clubs should be for life, not just for one season.

Sounds boring

Do others have problems with selling player in LLM?

I play with Gateshead and I've tried selling +10 players but there are no interest. Not even from non-league teams. In FM08 non-league teams were almost always interested at signing players at a £0 transfer fee. This is not the case in FM09. Now you have to release them and that is pretty expensive. After release, several clubs fight for signing them on free transfer :(

Sir Alex has managed to keep motivated for 20 years despite being ridiculously successful. The challenge is to consistently win trophies and rebuild your team as the current stars grow older. Try to find hidden gems and young unknowns who become future stars

I think he gets payed a bit of money for doing that though, correct me if i'm wrong.

personally i get no satisfaction from managing a big team as trophies are expected and if you don't win competitions it is seen as a failure. Seems pretty lose-lose to me

Only the CL and FA cup??? C'mon you need to add the league title to that! Try for all 4 trophys! Even the big treble, try to do better than Arse Wenger did!!! Try also retaining those trophies you won! World Club Cup and Super Cup also become available for you now after winning CL!

Plenty of things to do!

personally i get no satisfaction from managing a big team as trophies are expected and if you don't win competitions it is seen as a failure. Seems pretty lose-lose to me

Hah, who cares.

We pro's spit on you amateurs.

You would be so envious of my trophy cabinet. ^^

Do others have problems with selling player in LLM?

I play with Gateshead and I've tried selling +10 players but there are no interest. Not even from non-league teams. In FM08 non-league teams were almost always interested at signing players at a £0 transfer fee. This is not the case in FM09. Now you have to release them and that is pretty expensive. After release, several clubs fight for signing them on free transfer :(

If they are new signings, as in they joined in the summer transfer window of 2008, then in FM09, there will be no clubs that will go for them with the idea that they just signed and are "determined to fight for their place." At least that's what I noticed when playing the demo...I've got a mac, so I'm waiting it out...cmon 9.0.1! ;)

In everyone of FM's i always start with my home team NK Celje (sort of Dynasty mode as a manager) and after 4-5 seasons when i get more reputation i go abroad to bigger teams with a goal to get to either Barcelona or Arsenal and mange them to No.1 spot in the world rankings and to get me to No.1 in the world as a manager. The fastest i got to No.1 was on FM 07 with 12 seasons which took me from Celje, Aston Villa, Roma, Valencia and Arsenal to No.1 in the world i think i still have that save somewhere. It was the best experience so far for me.

I really enjoys LLM, its a good challenge because you can't just go out and buy a players and hope it makes your team better. You need to scout, have the right coaches, know your tactics inside and out. Its just wonderful and stressful, but awesome all at the same time :)

You are correct about the just players but it also regards others. By the way when you take over a club as manager the 'just signed' setting should be ignored since a new manager will always try to bring in his own players I think. The setting is good to prevent quick selling of course.

I'm a bit of both.

If I use a big club E.G: Chelsea, I like having expectations on me to win big. Plus I love when i end up selling all the squad except for Terry, and Cech. And buying a whole bunch of youngsters, and winning the titles/awards. Satisfaction for me.

However, sometimes I just like a bit of challegened with a minor club, bringing them up, and whooping big teams. Another way of making me feel good.

But thats me.

I think you are simply too good of a player and since you told us, we now all know. I think you should stop playing immediately.

I mean whats the point of player other teams, or using harder to use tactics or maybe playing with younger players or in different countries. What fun would that be? I guess the goal is to win the major competitions and then you prove you're the best.

I mean I play in the Brazilian 3rd division because I am obviously not good enough to win with a team like Arsenal....

Archived