Please help!!!

Two major problems:

1. At random stages of the game, it decides it is running out of memory and tells me to "free some space up", then shuts down. However, there is still 104GB of free space on my Hard Drive. Then when I try to click on the desktop shortcut, it tells me FM09 is "already running", even though it is not on th blue bar at the bottom of the screen where open programs are displayed. Therefore I have to restart my computer before FM allows me back on. It's bearable for a little while as it only does this every half hour roughly, I just have to save the game lots to make sure I don't lose too much, but it's really inconvenient.

2. My second problem is with the Data Editor. I noticed three Cobblers players had the incorrect ages (Paul Walker, Joe Marzetti, and Odysseas Economides are in their late teens, not late twenties!), so went to alter them. But when I tried to load the database, a message came up reading:

An unhandled exception occured. Press "Abort" to terminate the program, "Retry" to exit the program normally and "Ignore" to try to continue. If I press either of the first two, it quits the editor, if I press "Ignore" I have to attempt to load the database again, and the same message reappears. Therefore, as things stand I can't use the editor.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

For your first problem, memory is different to space. How much RAM do you have and how many programs running.

If it says 'Fm is already running' try pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and looking in the processes tab. Find fm.exe and end process, it should then let you run it.

It's enough but I'd reccomend 1Gb as a minimum tbh. You can help yourself by stopping any programs running that you dont need.

Also, click the start button on windows and click run. In the box that comes up, type msconfig and press enter. Goto the Startup tab and untick any programs you don't need to start with Windows. If you don't know what they are, either google them or leave them ticked. Then restart the computer. This should stop any uneeded programs even running when Windows starts.

Other than that, I'd suggest installing some more RAM especially as it is so cheap atm. It's also pretty easy to install yourself, even thought you may not be technically minded. If you do choose to upgrade your RAM, goto www.crucial.com and scan your system, that will tell you what you're after.

Yeah, 1 GB RAM is a defnite minimum. What operating system are you running? Vista can hardly run by 512 MB RAM alone, while XP leaves a bit of RAM for the game. If you only run a few leagues, I guess you could do with 1 GB RAM, but anything more, I'd recommend 2 GB RAM to avoid any memory-problems.

I would recommend that you make sure that your Windows in fully updated. The first thing I found out was the the Data Editor coundn't run with .NET 2.0 from Service Pack 1, although this doesn't seem to be your problem.

Also, often this game seems sensitive to hard disk fragmentation. So, I'd also recommend running a defragmentation through Start --> Programs --> Accesories --> System tools --> Disk Fragmenter

By the way, do you start the game through C:\[chosen installation path]\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\tools\data editor\data editor.exe?

Of course, a very common reason for applications crashing is due to you having virus/malware and this creating all kinds of problems. If you have virus, there are many different tools you can run, such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or Spybot

Is you game updated with the patch? Did you chose to load the original database or the database from the patch?

Yes, I have downloaded the patch and I am using the patch's database. And this ( C:\[chosen installation path]\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\tools\data editor\data editor.exe) is indeed how I get to the editor. Should I be doing it a different way?

I'm running on XP.

I'll do the defragmentation, virus scans etc etc, but how do I get more RAM? :confused:

Thanks for your help. :thup:

No, you're running the editor from the right path. You get more RAM by buying it. No other way, I'm afraid ;)

Have the shop put the RAM in your machine. It's not really that expensive, but FM is one of the games that require a good deal of it.

Archived