Do not give your credit card information to STEAM!

Minutes ago.. my bank called me and asked if i tried to use my card for 4.999.00 shopping from STEAM GAMES WWWSTEAMPO4... They said Steam tried to charge this amount and they've rejected. WHAT IS GOING ON?

and now when i try to login to steam so i could get anwers but i get "We could not find an account with that username or email address "

DO NOT GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO STEAM!

the only people that have steam, are those that HAVE to use it for some reason, luckily FM doesn't mean you have to use Steam, so dont!

mate, if your worried about more charges to your card from steam , you could freeze your card and contact steam customer support, sounds like you have given your details to a fake steam account to me, best to check

Or alternatively, make sure your firewall is upto date and you are free from trojans and keyloggers, whilst using Firefox.

Still, this is a Steam thing not a FM thing.

so you mean hackers stoled my cc information and charging me with STEAM'S same transaction id?! Think before talking please.

This is a FM thing! i saw steam on FM's website... They are advising it!

the only people that have steam, are those that HAVE to use it for some reason, luckily FM doesn't mean you have to use Steam, so dont!

mate, if your worried about more charges to your card from steam , you could freeze your card and contact steam customer support, sounds like you have given your details to a fake steam account to me, best to check

i've downloaded the game and playing for two days. are there any possible ways for that if it was a fake steam?

i've already said reject all payments from steam. I've tried to contact steam but system doesnt accept my username... i can login to software with the same name... funny

so you mean hackers stoled my cc information and charging me with STEAM'S same transaction id?! Think before talking please.

This is a FM thing! i saw steam on FM's website... They are advising it!

sounds more like your someone got your cc details and went on a steam spending spree.

PS : steam is an optional 3rd party authentication/digital distribution service, nothing to do with SI/SEGA as at no point were you required to use it

you'd be surprised but some people like me (Canada) absolutely cannot get a boxed copy of either WWSM or FM without waiting a long time for it to get here from the UK.

The city I live in has a million people and I guarantee you there won't be 1 physical copy for sale in a store.

I initially registered the game via steam and as soon as I saw what it was and the crap it came with I thought no way!

Uninstalled that crap heap pronto and registered via uniloc.

Plus what UK company links up with a company that dosn't even accept sterling, I mean come on SI!

sounds like this "steam" whatever it is (?!) is a lot of messing about.

this might sound a bit obvious, but is it not just easier to buy it in the shops like you normally would with a game?!?!

i'm living in Turkey (: its hard to find the game on the same release dates and i didnt want to wait.

looks like someone hacked into your PC and stole your c/c details. They new you were getting FM09 from STEAM so they used steam to buy games, making you think it was you doing it as you have already used the program. Nothing to do with SI or FM. You should update your virus programs and protection. SOunds like you do indeed have a few backdoors open on your system. Best to get that check out.

For the few of you like bav who apparently read no other posts, FM is not sold in stores where about a billion of us live.

There is always EBAY and off UK stores online who also use c/c for purchases. SO much more than the 1 option on STEAM.

I've never had any problem with Steam, it's an automated service. No one is behind the scenes stealing your information. If there is a bug in Steam and it's mistook a payment of $49.99 for something like $4999 then you should contact Valve and report it so they know about it.

For the few of you like bav who apparently read no other posts, FM is not sold in stores where about a billion of us live.

True. If you find a box of FM, any versions, in popular electronic or gaming retail stores in North America you are very extremely lucky.

The closest thing to FM that can still be seen on shelves here is Eastside Hockey Manager.

btw i didnt say that i'm not able to play the game with steam... i said steam tried to charge me 4.999.00 dolars without my permission and transaction id is the same with the one when i bought the game.... this message is not for help cuz i didnt loose any money... this is for warning you guys...

berkgun I am thinking you forgot to put the . in or put it in the wrong place. as you can see, both $ amounts are very similar except for the location of the . maybe you should think if you did put the . in the wrong place. Looks like you may have done that.

berkgun I am thinking you forgot to put the . in or put it in the wrong place. as you can see, both $ amounts are very similar except for the location of the . maybe you should think if you did put the . in the wrong place. Looks like you may have done that.

hehe no A.D

as i said bank called me and also sent me a text message

hehe no A.D

as i said bank called me and also sent me a text message

Maybe you should log into your STEAM account and check the history of it for transactions. Any $$ you will see 2 transactions. Maybe you clicked OK twice because the 1st itme was frozen ?

and now when i try to login to steam so i could get anwers but i get "We could not find an account with that username or email address "

as i said.. i can login to software but not website... strange things going on...

Steam is run by Valve, the creators of Half Life, Portal, Team Fortress, Counter-strike, and dozens of other world famous games. Their distribution service is second to none, allowing you to download and install your game as many times and to as many PCs as you like, as long as you log in with your details. (Interestingly, SI decided to handicap it a little for FM; you can only install to 5 PCs).

I am guessing that your bank made a mistake and thought that $49.00 was $49,000 since you guys in Turkey (and much of eastern europe) use " . " instead of " , " as a seperator. I'm guessing that it is not very often that you would be buying things in dollars.

What has happened in Steam is that they've seen some guy from a country with, shall we say, a less than perfect history of behavior on the internet, buying and downloading the game and then blocking payments so that, essentially, you've stolen the game; hence your suspension. I think you should give Valve a call and try to resolve the issue.

I have bought loads of stuff on steam over the past few years and never had any issues at all. It was a bit poor when it first launched, and having played HL/CS etc online since 1999 I hated the damn thing when it first came out. But now it has become a fantastic service and I prefer to buy stuff on there rather than in the shops.

Had an issue where I accidentally changed my password to something incorrect by mistake then didn't use steam for 6 months. Their support were fantastic in getting my account back to my despite the fact I didn't even have access to the email account it was registered to.

i'm paying to deviantart, iweb, hostican, ebay and a lot of websites in dolars or euros... Its funny to see that you are not believing to a bank but a website haha...

whatever i told what happend to you guys... at least use paypal for paying to steam. they also had some account hi-jacking issues so be careful... i just wanted to warn people...

Very strange.

I've said it a million other places so might as well add it here. I can't get them to recognise my credit card at all. Apparently the address is wrong (it's not) and it just won't go through. I've tried a million combinations.

Their customer support has been awful, made a couple of half hearted attempts to help (including "try not capitolising some letters"....nice spelling, and that really helps when I've tried every combination possible - thanks) but have stopped responding to me.

Puts me off using them at all, but I hadn't even considered PayPal as an option.

I'm also one of the many who will never see a boxed copy in any shops and would have to wait ages with plenty of uncertainty over whether a mailed copy might ever arrive...

Very strange.

I've said it a million other places so might as well add it here. I can't get them to recognise my credit card at all. Apparently the address is wrong (it's not) and it just won't go through. I've tried a million combinations.

Their customer support has been awful, made a couple of half hearted attempts to help (including "try not capitolising some letters"....nice spelling, and that really helps when I've tried every combination possible - thanks) but have stopped responding to me.

That's because it's your bank's fault. It is your bank that is rejecting their request for payment as the person requesting the payment hasn't got the details right. Valve are giving them the details you input.

Do you really want a situation where a website could convince your bank to make a payment even if they're getting some of the details are wrong?

That's because it's your bank's fault. It is your bank that is rejecting their request for payment as the person requesting the payment hasn't got the details right. Valve are giving them the details you input.

Do you really want a situation where a website could convince your bank to make a payment even if they're getting some of the details are wrong?

No, it's not. The bank have never received the request. I got in touch to ask them to accept it. They seem to have a method of pre-checking the details, but I guess it's evidently automated.

i'm paying to deviantart, iweb, hostican, ebay and a lot of websites in dolars or euros... Its funny to see that you are not believing to a bank but a website haha...

Yes, well I've used this 'website' for a number of years and I've also dealt with very stupid account monitors at banks. For instance, almost every time I book a flight I receive a phone call telling me that it is outside my 'normal spending pattern'. To put it this way, Steam is a program that does what it does and has done for many years. The person that called from your bank was most likely in India trying to read a Turkish guy's bank account about a transaction in US Dollars to a company based in the UK. I know which I reckon is more likely to make a mistake. Rather than alarm people using a perfectly good system on here the day after joining, why not make a couple of phone calls and resolve the situation? Maybe you'll be right and at least then you can tell us how to fix the problem rather than just YELLING STUFF IN CAPITAL LETTERS

they also had some account hi-jacking issues so be careful... i just wanted to warn people...
If people's accounts get hijacked then that is their own fault for not being secure with their log ins. Just like it was my fault for not being properly secure when some guy guessed the password to my hosting account and replaced all files with a little text file saying "TURKISH HACKERS 07 **** ISRAEL NO WAR!" despite my website actually sort of agreeing with him.
No, it's not. The bank have never received the request. I got in touch to ask them to accept it. They seem to have a method of pre-checking the details, but I guess it's evidently automated.

Trust me, it is. As someone who has written online payment systems for e-commerce sites, the sheer variety of address forms means you can't really check for authenticity before requesting from the bank. If there's a pre-checking it will be done by the bank.

Trust me, it is. As someone who has written online payment systems for e-commerce sites, the sheer variety of address forms means you can't really check for authenticity before requesting from the bank. If there's a pre-checking it will be done by the bank.

Just spoke to the bank again to double check, and I can assure you they've never seen any attempt at this transaction. Steam evidently have a different system to the you're talking about, or for whatever reason just aren't trying to communicate with my bank.

In fact, what you say about the 'sheer variety' is perhaps the issue here. They have attempted it, and in my case, it doesn't work.

The truly frustrating part is that their customer service isn't trying to help at all.

whatever i told what happend to you guys... at least use paypal for paying to steam. they also had some account hi-jacking issues so be careful... i just wanted to warn people...

Just spoke to the bank again to double check, and I can assure you they've never seen any attempt at this transaction. Steam evidently have a different system to the you're talking about, or for whatever reason just aren't trying to communicate with my bank.

In fact, what you say about the 'sheer variety' is perhaps the issue here. They have attempted it, and in my case, it doesn't work.

The truly frustrating part is that their customer service isn't trying to help at all.

Ok then I'll take your word for it.

May I ask where you are? I'm going to guess Scotland, given the username. Maybe it's being finicky with stuff like UK/Scotland/Great Britain. As a programmer, the UK&I is bloody hazardous to your mental health when it comes to address forms! :D

Ok then I'll take your word for it.

May I ask where you are? I'm going to guess Scotland, given the username. Maybe it's being finicky with stuff like UK/Scotland/Great Britain. As a programmer, the UK&I is bloody hazardous to your mental health when it comes to address forms! :D

Actually, Bermuda. On issue might be that it looks for a state/provence when my mailing address doesn't have one. However, the reply from the Steam customer support (on Friday, nothing since despite getting back in touch) implies that the first line (which is c/o my employer) is the issue.

Oh and of course it won't let me use my UK credit card since I'm not in the UK. Perfect.

Cheers for trying to help though.

Actually, Bermuda.

Oh, THAT rock in the Atlantic. Had visions of you on a laptop on Rockall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall) earlier. Much more comfortable!

Cheers for trying to help though.

No problem. I'm here tapping my head in frustration myself, but my problem is that I'm havign activation problems but using Linux and the keyfix is written in .NET which won't play nicely as FM usually does.

Berkgun you also need to consider that your account for the steam program and your account for the steam web-site are 2 different things. So it's completely normal for you to not be able to log on to the web-site using your steam program account information as you need to make a separate account for the site.

Berkgun you also need to consider that your account for the steam program and your account for the steam web-site are 2 different things. So it's completely normal for you to not be able to log on to the web-site using your steam program account information as you need to make a separate account for the site.

They aren't different things. In fact, Steam itself connects to the same webpage that Firefox/IE does externally. I know this because its a bloody pain in the arse to install the flash plugins in Firefox to get Steam to work properly,

Maybe you mean the relatively Steam Community? Those are different, but I don't think he would have tried to log in there to get answers. Everyone knows you can't get a straight answer on Community Forums ;) Maybe he did though, but I'd pursue other possibilities.

Bingo

It's no doubt a user error and I'd place serious money on him accidently putting in $4999 instead of $49.99.

Bingo

It's no doubt a user error and I'd place serious money on him accidently putting in $4999 instead of $49.99.

Plus, if you had just stolen details and were able to spend the best part of five grand, would you really spend it on a load of computer games from Steam? Unlikely.

Archived