Dont Download From Steam!

I just wanted to warn all those thinking of downloading via Steam, NOT TO!!

I have never had so many issues with running the game in all my life, the steam support is non existent and after days of battling (and I am no mug with a computer) I have given up and unistalled steam and FM09 from my machine.

I am now going to do what I should have done in the first place and buy a CD copy of the game. Seriously, I have never been so angry in all my life as I am with Steam at the moment.

A complete con and very badly run company - avoid!

My issues are endless, though I appreciate some people may get lucky

And as for the support from them - nothing, zippo, nadda. After attempting to re-download the game from scratch and start again 3 times I gave up. If I struggled I know Joe Bloggs on the street will be in all sorts of problems so I hope some will take heed of this warning.

The first time I tried the demo I got it through Steam, the direct download link was being over used so it was impossible to download the demo without resorting to Steam on the release day. Anyway, I found it to be highly unstable and I had frequent issues with the match day screen crashing. A day later when I was able to follow the direct file download link and install the demo on the same laptop I found it ran smoothly without any issues whatsoever. That experience of Steam certainly put me off using them to purchase a retail version of a game.

Even if you buy the retail version you still have to run the game from steam.

It makes you install steam before you can install the game then you have to enter a cd key which makes all o's and 0's look the same as well as 1's and L's and I's so you have to goto another website to decipher it then enter the code at install then at steam then again at activation which will probably tell you you aren't connected to the internet so you can't. Then even after you get passed all that when i run the game from windows i get a popup telling me that something is missing, doesn't tell me what it is though, just something. so you have to run steam to start the game. And all because The Pirate Bay won't remove FM2008 torrents from it's site

I installed my dvd (as I always like getting it as a hardcopy) via stream and my computer became really slow and non responsive and took ages to play a game. I have since removed stream and the game and installed it again via internet/telephone and it runs a little better now but not great as the size of the game is massive due to it being 3d which I always turn off as I prefered the old way as I think this was a waste of time and should have spent more time sorting out the bugs etc.

It makes you install steam before you can install the game then you have to enter a cd key which makes all o's and 0's look the same as well as 1's and L's and I's so you have to goto another website to decipher it then enter the code at install then at steam then again at activation which will probably tell you you aren't connected to the internet so you can't. Then even after you get passed all that when i run the game from windows i get a popup telling me that something is missing, doesn't tell me what it is though, just something. so you have to run steam to start the game. And all because The Pirate Bay won't remove FM2008 torrents from it's site

I haven't had that problem. I just put the 09 shortcut on my desktop and it runs fine. I don't run the game from Steam at all. It is just like installing the game from a CD. I do know what you guys mean about no support though, I haven't been able to find an email contact for them yet!

I

A complete con and very badly run company - avoid!

Biggest digital distributor of games , run by prob the last remaining AAA pc centric developers , no offence but steam is a doddle to use , what exactly are your problems ?

It makes you install steam before you can install the game

no it doesn't but dont let truth ruin an otherwise...oops the whole post was trash

I installed my dvd (as I always like getting it as a hardcopy) via stream and my computer became really slow and non responsive and took ages to play a game. I have since removed stream and the game and installed it again via internet/telephone and it runs a little better now but not great as the size of the game is massive due to it being 3d which I always turn off as I prefered the old way as I think this was a waste of time and should have spent more time sorting out the bugs etc.

steam uses like 5MB of system memory , if thats slowing down your pc, you need a new one

You can go into steam in program files, and get the fm09 shortcut and put it on your desktop then use that, you dont need to run steam everytime!

for me steam worked fine. It downloaded the game and the patch at the same time, i didnt have to do anything to authenticate the game, and the game is auto updated each time a new patch is available. Its the first time i bought anything from steam, but im thinking of buying a couple of games from there because this one went soo well. Also the speed of the download was the best i ve seen in all my life.

I've been a Steam User for years, I used to love playin DoD 1.3, CS 1.6, CS:S, The Ship, Red Orchestra etc and I'd actually say stay away from it. It isn't the best system out there. Use Uniloc(I think it is?) and Rapidshare for your patches, much easier imo.

I've never had an issue with Steam, ever, and I've been playing Counter-Strike for a few years now. Steam's just the delivery system, it really has no effect on how the game's run besides installing patches hassle-free. Maybe you should try SI?

Exactly. Steam has nothing to do with the problems people have had with FM.

Been using STEAM since it was released (tfc/cs/css/tf2/hl2 etc etc) and I have NEVER had a problem with it and I am by far a PC God..Maybe list your problems or private message me, I could help :p

i think as well that the ones that had problems with steam are in minority...me and other 2 friends of mine bought from steam and we had no problems(except that when we got the cd key, we had to figure it out what the numbers/letters were-we did that in 2 minutes)...in the rest, no problems...

Biggest digital distributor of games , run by prob the last remaining AAA pc centric developers , no offence but steam is a doddle to use , what exactly are your problems ?

no it doesn't but dont let truth ruin an otherwise...oops the whole post was trash

steam uses like 5MB of system memory , if thats slowing down your pc, you need a new one

If your going to post replies you could at least be helpful to anyone asking for help.

Now going on the assumption that you weren't sat looking over my shoulder when i installed the game and have never crept into my house overnight to have a look for yourself how can you say that anything i said is "trash".

The first thing the install program did was install steam, i have many other games which want to do this but they all ask you first, this one didn't.

If you didn't have to enter the cd key at install then at activation then clearly you have already visited the pirate bay to get yourself a free copy.

Obviously my comments on the cd key not making sense and the activation problems were "trash" otherwise sports interactive would have set up websites to get users around the problem....... oh hang on.. thats what they did.

As for steam i never said i had a problem with them, my game runs fine every time i run it. i was simply answering the post above it saying that i needed to run it even with the dvd version of the game. thankfully other posters are more useful than you and point out a solution to the problem, which is really what this thread was all about in the first place.

And finally..Trash??? sorry what decade are we in exactly visit the original champ manager message board if you want to smack talk with your homies, mind you that was 1992 so you'll still be a decade too late.

BTW do you work for steam, you seem awfully impressed by them.

If you didn't have to enter the cd key at install then at activation then clearly you have already visited the pirate bay to get yourself a free copy

That is completely untrue.

I only had to enter my key at install with Steam, there was no other activation window. FM displays it's status as 'Activated'

If your going to post replies you could at least be helpful to anyone asking for help.

Now going on the assumption that you weren't sat looking over my shoulder when i installed the game and have never crept into my house overnight to have a look for yourself how can you say that anything i said is "trash".

The first thing the install program did was install steam, i have many other games which want to do this but they all ask you first, this one didn't.

If you didn't have to enter the cd key at install then at activation then clearly you have already visited the pirate bay to get yourself a free copy.

Obviously my comments on the cd key not making sense and the activation problems were "trash" otherwise sports interactive would have set up websites to get users around the problem....... oh hang on.. thats what they did.

As for steam i never said i had a problem with them, my game runs fine every time i run it. i was simply answering the post above it saying that i needed to run it even with the dvd version of the game. thankfully other posters are more useful than you and point out a solution to the problem, which is really what this thread was all about in the first place.

And finally..Trash??? sorry what decade are we in exactly visit the original champ manager message board if you want to smack talk with your homies, mind you that was 1992 so you'll still be a decade too late.

BTW do you work for steam, you seem awfully impressed by them.

point proven

thanks you

Archived