Work permit issue

I'm managing a British club in FM09 and I was trying to get a brazilian player on trial for one week only to scout him as the board wont pay for scouting trips outside Europe. Then later the player accepted to go on trial but it was delayed because he needed work permit. WTF, why does he need work permit, Manucho was on trial at Man Utd without having British work permit so why can't I have a player on trial without a work permit.

I'm managing a British club in FM09 and I was trying to get a brazilian player on trial for one week only to scout him as the board wont pay for scouting trips outside Europe. Then later the player accepted to go on trial but it was delayed because he needed work permit. WTF, why does he need work permit, Manucho was on trial at Man Utd without having British work permit so why can't I have a player on trial without a work permit.

because i think you pay him to trial with you, and any paid occupation in the uk for a non EU national will need to have a work permit i believe. and i think thats why manucho was loaned to panathiniakos last season, because he didnt get his work permit in time.

Yes Manucho wasn't given a work-permit so couldn't work in this country. I suppose it's a problem with the trial system, in that they are given a fee to come on trial, which means they are being employed by that club for a short period and so are subject to work permit laws.

I suspect the deal Man Utd did was to offer Manucho the chance to come and train with the Man Utd squad to take a look at him, rather than paying him to come over. That would mean his visit would constitute a holiday in the UK rather than work and so wouldn't be subject to work permit laws.

Archived