Developing a tactic to survive promotion...

Intro

I have just won Division 1 with Leeds Utd and I am now ready to try my luck in the Championship. I am therefore looking to create a tactic to not only survive in the Championship, but to give a good account of myself.

Here are some of my solutions to this, please feel free to advise or critique. Maybe I can assist people who have also won promotion. The 'crazy' formulas I use have seemingly worked so far in my first season, maybe by luck, maybe some are logical, who knows but I like to think they make at least some sense.

Here is my current set up:-

championshipig2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Now here is how I set the instruction, this is where it gets crazy :-)

First off, I have 3 groups of players:-

Defend

Support

Attack

(Credit to wwfan et al for giving me this idea originally)

Creativity

I base my players creativity levels on their mentality setting and what group they fall into.

Defend: Mentality -2

Support: as Mentality

Attack: Mentality +2

Closing Down

As Mentality

Tempo

I base my tempo on the AMC passing rating so in this case it is 8.

Forward Runs

Defend group all rarely

Players with 11 or more Mentality - often

Players with 8-10 Mentality - mixed

Tackling

Any players with Close down above 10 = hard tackling

Any players with Close down above 5 or less = Easy Tackling

Width

Width = Mentality of your wingers

Long shots

For attackers or Support players only and only if they have excellent long shots stats.

I will add more to this as the season progresses.

If anyone wants to add anything or try something similar then please feel free. As I said, this system only really applies to weaker teams trying to avoid relegation without being too defensive.

Cheers

bRAzIL

I've developed a 4-1-3-2 formation that is keeping Stoke in the premiership so far, I think it would perhaps work better in the championship if you have reasonably good defenders, it keeps opposing teams outside of your box for the majority of the match, and 90% of the other teams shots will be from long range.

You will need a relatively good keeper as well to deal with long range shots when they do come in, if you're interested let me know.

With FM2009 I am finding that if you match the teams tempo to your AMC's passing (as he will be your playmaker), it seems to work pretty well. So if your AMC is passing short, then your tempo will be slow and vice versa.

I am also finding that with 09 you can afford to play a bit deeper. I found that in 08 if you played too deep you invited pressure. I am confident with 09 you can have one successful tactic for both home and away.

Archived