Phone Activation Issues? Please Read Carefully...

If you're struggling, here's a step by step guide. Please follow carefully;

Huge thanks to user AntMurf who took the time to write this out to help others.

1. Insert disk and run the setup (if you have autorun installed it will do so automatically).

2. Once installed, the game will bring you to the "Soft Anchor" registration screen.

3. You will be prompted to enter the keycode on the back of your manual. This can be difficult to read if there are many "0" and "O" in the code. Before entering if possible visit the http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ site. Here you can enter the code as you see it and the website will display the full code in a format that enables you to determine 0's from O's.

4. On the soft anchor screen, there is text space split into 4 sections. Type the 25 digit code in full with no space in here. Please note that it is VITAL that you ENTER THE CODE IN CAPITALS.

5. Underneath the text space, there will be the option of "online" or "phone". Choose "phone" and select next.

6. Here you will be given a number for your particular country after an "are you sure you want to activate by phone message".

7. On the same screen you will be given a 16 digit numerical code. Once you ring the number, this is the code you must enter when prompted.

8. Enter the 16 digit code, once confirmed you will be given a 7 digit response code consisting of numbers and letters.

9. Enter the response code when prompted, and you will be given a new 16 digit code. This process will repeat about 4 times (ie. 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code).

10. If, after three 16 digit codes and three response codes the process stops, it means that you probably entered your intial 25 digit key code in incorrectly. Again - re-enter the 25 digit code IN CAPITALS.

11. Once the final response code is entered correctly, a small box will appear with "Auth Key" at the bottom left of the Soft Anchor page.

12. You will then be prompted with three seven digit codes to complete the authentication. Once the first auth code is entered correctly a second box appears beside it, and then once the second auth code is populated a third box appears. Put in the final code and the authentication is complete. A message will appear to confirm this.

13. Start the game as normal by double clicking the icon on your desktop or in your C/Program files.

If you're still struggling with this, I'd recommend talking to or mailing Customer Services - here:

http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK

They will be able to help.

I can understand possibly entering one set of 16 numbers, maybe even 2, but FOUR? Honestly, that's a massively over the top set of hoops for a paying customer to have to jump through to play a game. Given all the other authorisation issues that have beset this launch, I really hope that next year this farcical DRM system is removed. It has done little more than annoy loyal customers and seriously damage the image of the company and the game.

I, like many others, have followed those instructions and been told the activation process has been succesfull only to try to load the game and be met by the activation screen again. I apologize that i've posted this several times but it just seems that with all the people orking on these problems this one can't be that difficult to resolve

I Do not have access to the Internet, so have been trying since friday to activate by phone. When I eventually got through I typed in all the verification keys and response keys correctly. I then got all the way to the end of the third Auth Key, typed that in and nothing happened!. The automated voice on the phone said that my game was now unlocked. But I click on FM09 and it just brings me back to soft Anchor again. I have tried registering on numerous ocasions and still cannot unlock the game.

I managed to get through to SEGA yesterday where they told me to uninstall and try again, they also confirmed I was typing in the correct verification key, not mistaking I for 1 or 0 for O. Since then I have not been able to get through it rings for a while and then says there was no answer.

Please can someone help me on how to activate this game?

I Do not have access to the Internet, so have been trying since friday to activate by phone. When I eventually got through I typed in all the verification keys and response keys correctly. I then got all the way to the end of the third Auth Key, typed that in and nothing happened!. The automated voice on the phone said that my game was now unlocked. But I click on FM09 and it just brings me back to soft Anchor again. I have tried registering on numerous ocasions and still cannot unlock the game.

I managed to get through to SEGA yesterday where they told me to uninstall and try again, they also confirmed I was typing in the correct verification key, not mistaking I for 1 or 0 for O. Since then I have not been able to get through it rings for a while and then says there was no answer.

Once you type in the last auth key does a finish button appear in the bottom right of the soft anchor page ?

i dont seem to get the softanchor registration thing comiong up. Whats the problem?

Have you installed the game fully?

When I first installed I didnt get a shortcut on my desktop, I had to go into C/Programfiles/sports interactive etc

Once I double clicked on the icon to start the game the soft anchor page came up. If you dont have a shortcut youll need to manually start the game

I, like many others, have followed those instructions and been told the activation process has been succesfull only to try to load the game and be met by the activation screen again. I apologize that i've posted this several times but it just seems that with all the people orking on these problems this one can't be that difficult to resolve

You should both speak to Customer Services once again.

Thanks for the step by step, but how much will this cost for UK callers ?

It's a local call number, I believe.

Once you type in the last auth key does a finish button appear in the bottom right of the soft anchor page ?

NO nothing. In the first two Auth key boxes all the letters I've typed in go into capitals. and the cursor jumps to the next box, but nothing comes up after the third auth key.

Anyone else having this problem?

You should both speak to Customer Services once again.

It's a local call number, I believe.

I managed to get through to customer services on Sunday, they told me to uninstall it and try it again. I've not managed to get through since.

What hours are they open?

Is there a different number to the one in the manual (0870 010 8002) I could try them on? because I either get user busy or after 5 minutes of ringing, it says sorry there's no anser and cuts off

Quite frankly i feel let down at the moment. Matt from Sega, do you honestly think its an acceptable response to tell me, again, to try and contact a customer service centre that i'd been on hold with all day trying to resolve an issue with this wacky activation system. the process works fine everything seems to work but dosen't sem to have any link to the game, its mad, i know its not just me this is happening too and getting through to cutomer services won't help because they'll jut tell me to uninstall and try again, which i've tried umpteen times. i just want some good and ultimately progressive/succefull advice!!

If you're struggling, here's a step by step guide. Please follow carefully;

Huge thanks to user AntMurf who took the time to write this out to help others.

1. Insert disk and run the setup (if you have autorun installed it will do so automatically).

2. Once installed, the game will bring you to the "Soft Anchor" registration screen.

3. You will be prompted to enter the keycode on the back of your manual. This can be difficult to read if there are many "0" and "O" in the code. Before entering if possible visit the http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ site. Here you can enter the code as you see it and the website will display the full code in a format that enables you to determine 0's from O's.

4. On the soft anchor screen, there is text space split into 4 sections. Type the 25 digit code in full with no space in here. Please note that it is VITAL that you ENTER THE CODE IN CAPITALS.

5. Underneath the text space, there will be the option of "online" or "phone". Choose "phone" and select next.

6. Here you will be given a number for your particular country after an "are you sure you want to activate by phone message".

7. On the same screen you will be given a 16 digit numerical code. Once you ring the number, this is the code you must enter when prompted.

8. Enter the 16 digit code, once confirmed you will be given a 7 digit response code consisting of numbers and letters.

9. Enter the response code when prompted, and you will be given a new 16 digit code. This process will repeat about 4 times (ie. 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code).

10. If, after three 16 digit codes and three response codes the process stops, it means that you probably entered your intial 25 digit key code in incorrectly. Again - re-enter the 25 digit code IN CAPITALS.

11. Once the final response code is entered correctly, a small box will appear with "Auth Key" at the bottom left of the Soft Anchor page.

12. You will then be prompted with three seven digit codes to complete the authentication. Once the first auth code is entered correctly a second box appears beside it, and then once the second auth code is populated a third box appears. Put in the final code and the authentication is complete. A message will appear to confirm this.

13. Start the game as normal by double clicking the icon on your desktop or in your C/Program files.

If you're still struggling with this, I'd recommend talking to or mailing Customer Services - here:

http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK

They will be able to help.

Im sorry but.....what???? Do you guys really think this is an acceptable way to have to access a product fully paid for in good faith? I hope for the sake of sanity that your answer to that question is not positive.

Im sorry but.....what???? Do you guys really think this is an acceptable way to have to access a product fully paid for in good faith? I hope for the sake of sanity that your answer to that question is not positive.

I think they have said even before release that they would recommend using the online activation since the phone activation would take some time and be annoying (probably not their exact choice of word but something like that).

After reading the necessary steps I'll have to agree with you though that it's pretty ridicules. It seems like something that was added to make sure that they wouldn't have to tell people that an internet connection is required, even though it pretty much is. No one should be forced to go through such a process to play a game they bought. Handing over the money should be more or less the only inconvenience a customer experiences ;)

To the people that have actually gone through that process I have to say that I admire your determination and desire to play FM09 :)

This is excatly how I am feeling. I paid good money and cannot play the game. I can understand some security but this is a joke - what was wrong with playing the game from the CD??!! I too do not have internet access on my laptop and am becoming very annoyed at the phone activation system. I am waiting on - but not holding my breath - SEGA to respond to query. As an avid FM fan it is leaving a very nasty taste in my mouth. Please somebody sort out these problems and allow us to actually play the game we've paid for.

This is excatly how I am feeling. I paid good money and cannot play the game. I can understand some security but this is a joke - what was wrong with playing the game from the CD??!! I too do not have internet access on my laptop and am becoming very annoyed at the phone activation system. I am waiting on - but not holding my breath - SEGA to respond to query. As an avid FM fan it is leaving a very nasty taste in my mouth. Please somebody sort out these problems and allow us to actually play the game we've paid for.

Its having to do it 4 times.....why? Seems like a very bad joke - or a Monty Python sketch. I actually got broadband installed 2 months ago, if I hadnt I feel I would have given up by now as dial up would fall over before completing for sure.

What I do not understand is why it's not possible in The Netherlands to dial the number using a mobile phone. Almost no-one below 30 has a land line anymore, so why make it impossible to use a mobile phone? I'm going to have to move my computer to an adress with an internet connection, because I can't use my phone. I really find that to be quite unhelpful.

What I do not understand is why it's not possible in The Netherlands to dial the number using a mobile phone. Almost no-one below 30 has a land line anymore, so why make it impossible to use a mobile phone? I'm going to have to move my computer to an adress with an internet connection, because I can't use my phone. I really find that to be quite unhelpful.

Same for Republic of Ireland.

On the Soft Anchor screen I do not even get the option to activate by phone. This simply does not appear anywhere.

YES, I am enterring the code in all capitals. Have you any advice? I find this whole situation to be appallingly handled and totally needless.

The simply fact I have to go through this needless rigmarole is the worst bit about it. I have paid for the game, I wish to be able to play it.

I've made a breakthrough with the help of someone who shall remain nameless for now, my phone activation problems seem to stem from the fact that i've reinstalled my computer. I've now got a C:/documents and settings/all users.windows/etc directory and a C:/documents and settings/all users/etc directory. when the activator goes through succesfully it needs to save a licence file in the /all data/sports interactive/certificate folder of one of the two previous directories. The fact theres two seems to cause a problem and i can't delete one because it says windows needs it to run.

I know this dosen't solve the problem but its a starting point and i thought if i put on here someone with more IT savvy than myself may be able to resolve the problem further

can somebody please tell me where they are getting this soft anchor thing from because i dont seem to have it

have you installed FM 09 either by phone or internet ???

IF its by the internet, then don't worry it won't come up that fine, but if its by phone then when you have finshed the installtion process, when you click on the FM 09 icon its should come up, if not re-install the game again.

in the installation mine goes striaght from license agreement and skips out delivery method - is that where soft anchor gives you the options?

Has your computer got the internet ? If so you prob. clicked on the internet part at the very start, if the games starts then don't worry about it, if not tell me

I cant even get to the fourth round, i get halfway throught the third one and the woman tells me i have an invalid somethingorother and tells me to go back! Ive tried this twice now and its not exaclty endearing myself to anyone involved in this.

It worked fine on my computer thats hooked up to the net so theres no problem with my chubby fingers hitting 0's instead of o's!

A few things to try before the last resort !

1/ do it again and listen very carefully to her voice

2/ make sure you have typed everything in right

If they don't work then tell sega not SI as they don't tell with activation issues.

i dont have the internet on the computer which is compatible with the internet

ok, there are a few options for you

1/Put the internet on your laptop

2/ try the game on your main pc

3/ re-install the game again but take your time doing it, read everything !

Does the game work after installing it ??????

I've made a breakthrough with the help of someone who shall remain nameless for now, my phone activation problems seem to stem from the fact that i've reinstalled my computer. I've now got a C:/documents and settings/all users.windows/etc directory and a C:/documents and settings/all users/etc directory. when the activator goes through succesfully it needs to save a licence file in the /all data/sports interactive/certificate folder of one of the two previous directories. The fact theres two seems to cause a problem and i can't delete one because it says windows needs it to run.

I know this dosen't solve the problem but its a starting point and i thought if i put on here someone with more IT savvy than myself may be able to resolve the problem further

Don't take this as gospel cause I aint a computer buff if you uninstall the game then reinstall it on advanced maybe there is a way where you can selct the file you want the certificate to be sent to resulting in a lack of confusion with your computer.

I've got the same problem, have you managed to find a fix?

right, too anyone still struggling with activation screen popping up after activation this might help. My problem was I had a network card disabled on my computer so if you enable this by going to your display tab of your hardware and right clicking on it then try and activate by phone it may work. I've just been succesfull this way but bear in mind i was going between my connected laptop to my desktop using a usb so i could use the activation fix program also (activation fix alone still didn't work, had to find out about the network card too) so hopefully this could help some people if they have a similar situation to mine!!

Massive shout out to Murray (Muzchap) and joey who works for uniloc in america (i think) they've been nothing short of brilliant in helping. Time to struggle with the game in a whole new way!! ha ha lol ie being pants at it!

The error that i get from the phone line after the third input says that the server is down - is this nonsense? if not, it has been down for a while hasnt it.

I HAVE checked the code for 0 rather than O, I HAVE entered it in capitals and I HAVE made sure i put in the response keys and 16 digit codes correctly (in each of my 7 attempts), but i still get the error message. What is happening? do i need a new code?

I have also removed and isntalled the game again and re-tried.

I HAVE NOT been able to speak to customer services as they clearly would rather not answer their phone and the poor FML Billing people I was referred to for calls after 5 have no idea what to do and must just end up getting abuse.

Solution required now. If i manage to return the product and obtain a new key, will this work?

The error that i get from the phone line after the third input says that the server is down - is this nonsense? if not, it has been down for a while hasnt it.

I HAVE checked the code for 0 rather than O, I HAVE entered it in capitals and I HAVE made sure i put in the response keys and 16 digit codes correctly (in each of my 7 attempts), but i still get the error message. What is happening? do i need a new code?

I have also removed and isntalled the game again and re-tried.

I HAVE NOT been able to speak to customer services as they clearly would rather not answer their phone and the poor FML Billing people I was referred to for calls after 5 have no idea what to do and must just end up getting abuse.

Solution required now. If i manage to return the product and obtain a new key, will this work?

No help so far...the shock.

I think they have said even before release that they would recommend using the online activation since the phone activation would take some time and be annoying (probably not their exact choice of word but something like that).

After reading the necessary steps I'll have to agree with you though that it's pretty ridicules. It seems like something that was added to make sure that they wouldn't have to tell people that an internet connection is required, even though it pretty much is. No one should be forced to go through such a process to play a game they bought. Handing over the money should be more or less the only inconvenience a customer experiences ;)

To the people that have actually gone through that process I have to say that I admire your determination and desire to play FM09 :)

That's not fair I have paid my money just like everyone else, why isn't the phone system just as good. I only have limited internet access (at uni) so I can't do online activation. That's 7 days without FM2009 and now I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it.

Archived