FMH09 A complete con!

I dont know about anyone else but I am borderline disgusted with the 09 release. At a cost of £20 to £30 pounds for the game, the only new item in the game is a pointless 2D pitch, which freezes, sticks or shows something different to what happens. Th pitch bears no method of improvement of management, you cant monitor for posession etc. It has tried to implement something from LMA , manager, but has got it hideously wrong. There are players missing from last years version ( youth players) that are still at the same clubs, becoming more prominent in real life, yet excluded. There is absoluteley no improvements, other than cosmetically, which we could have done ourselves by updates or downloads. Meanwhile si games and sega laugh at all of us for buying a bareley improved updated version. I am sure on this forum that we all love this game, I know I do, but feel massiveley let down. Massive massive improvements need to be made next year to win back youre loyal and ardent fans!!:mad:

There are players missing from last years version ( youth players) that are still at the same clubs, becoming more prominent in real life, yet excluded.

I appreciate that you have criticisms of some of the FMH09 features but this one simply isn't true. Glenn has offered a guide at the top of this forum to explain how to ensure that the younger players feature in your game.

Errm, are you sure you haven't stumbled on here from the Pc forum by mistake, cos that's where all the ungrateful lot are.

I'm not sure what the hell your expecting but it seems to be too much!

I've played every FMH and this is definately the best, if you did you'd realise how far this game has come, the 2d pitch is great imo, sure there's a few bugs, but the Pc version had the same problems a few years ago, remember, this is a new thing in this game so it's gonna take time to get it spot on.

have you not noticed the ability to manage in different leagues? It's a huge step forward for the FMH series!

As for players not being in teams, it all depends on if you choose multiple leagues, i chose just England because for my first career, i won't leave Arsenal. Every youth player is accounted for in all the teams.

If you choose more than one league though there's gonna be players missing, it's only a PSP and has a limited power, they also want to keep it as quick as possible.

Your thread is so wide of the mark it's laughable, how can you state that this is barely an improvement?

I for one, think SI do a great job year in, year out, to bring us great football manager games, go and play Championship manager if you want to see a 2d pitch the whole match, but don't expect realism because it's not even close!

Rant over!

The criticism is a bit harsh I reckon, although I have to say i'm really annoyed about the 2d pitch glitches, surely the game was tested before being released?? I can't believe SI had no idea these issues with the pitch were there because I had only played for a couple of hours when I had my first freeze, therefore its fair to assume it had to have happened in the testing?

complete con is going to far IMO but it could have been better for sure

Ok maybe I have ranted and not explained my points properley. The 2D pitch doesnt give you any knowledge of the game, it is not an intuative display where you can pick up on errors or identify where youre team are playing badly, and therefore make tactical alterations. My complaint centers around the fact that is a new version, its not, very little else has been changed, and feel that this is more worthy of an update file for £5, not a brand new game in itself. I am aware of the psps limitations, and have previously loved every square inch of previous versions, but I feel dissapointed that there is nothing else new within the game.

There are others features which are new in the game.

~ Improved Transfer System

~ Delay Transfers

~ Run Multiple Leagues

~ Fully updated (based on the summer transfer window)

~ Bug Fixes

~ More

Nor will the transfer fee. Also, the CA and PA will be done by (No offence Ridley and Crickie) amateurs rather than SI's massive scouting organisation.

Put it this way, SIGames uses over 1000 scouts (according to The Sun because Everton have bought the rights to the database).

• SI Staff
ok what has improved about the transfer system?

Various aspects - delaying transfers, improved AI reactions to transfer offers and their purchasing strategies etc.

the multiple leagues i presume gives you the oppurtunity to manage a team in a different country

Yes you can move from say England to Scotland etc.

The updated teams you can get from anywhere anything else?

Updating the entire game database in the manner which is done for a new iteration simply isn't possible realistically on the PSP without a new game (as you'd be talking a rather huge text file on your PSP memory stick which would take ages to load).

There are lots of little improvements, tweaks to the gameplay generally and minor improvements and refinements.

I think its a good game and good value for money - if I hadn't thought so I would't have let it be released.

• SI Staff
Ok maybe I have ranted and not explained my points properley. The 2D pitch doesnt give you any knowledge of the game, it is not an intuative display where you can pick up on errors or identify where youre team are playing badly, and therefore make tactical alterations. My complaint centers around the fact that is a new version, its not, very little else has been changed, and feel that this is more worthy of an update file for £5, not a brand new game in itself. I am aware of the psps limitations, and have previously loved every square inch of previous versions, but I feel dissapointed that there is nothing else new within the game.

As I tried to explain on the forums to people before the game was released the 2d isn't meant to be a mimic of what you have on the PC game.

The snapshots shown are shorter than those on the PC game and only show the 'crux' of a situation - its meant to (1) give some excitment about move, (2) give a little insight into positioning of players and weaknesses/strengths of your team.

The reason I wanted the 2d short and snappy was to retain the pick up and play nature of the game, if matches took 3-6 minutes to play through like on the PC version of FM it'd be impractical to expect people to pull out their PSP on the bus and have a blast on FMH - which is imho one of this versions great strengths.

This being said we will as always be listening intently to feedback and attempting to evolve the game forward bearing in mind everyones constructive comments.

im quite happy with the 2D pitch, i havn't really had any bugs

Me neither had the occasion one where players are in odd positions....also had one just a few mins ago when Essien fouled Diarra after a shot had been taken, the 2d pitch just showed both players and the ball going towards the and into the back of net...the screen then went back to the stats and then showed up again with a free kick miles outside of the box....

There are players missing from last years version ( youth players) that are still at the same clubs, becoming more prominent in real life, yet excluded.

Striker Cillian Sheridan at celtic is a big example of this - he was on last years game but didnt get near the 1st team at celtic and yet this season when he is playing and scoring with celtic he is not on any datebase and yet another celtic young striker who ive never heard off or been in the 1st team IS in this years game . its so stupid .

I think the game's very good and addictive.

I think modifications to the 2D pitch is necessary. Played through 4 seasons now and it's evident players positioning is unrealistic, and quite often the commentary claims 'a bullet header', when it's actually a shot from the half way line. Also, just a slight more build up, for example, from the half line, would be good, and it wouldnt have to interrupt the pick-up-and-play method, as it could be made optional.

• SI Staff
I think the game's very good and addictive.

I think modifications to the 2D pitch is necessary. Played through 4 seasons now and it's evident players positioning is unrealistic, and quite often the commentary claims 'a bullet header', when it's actually a shot from the half way line. Also, just a slight more build up, for example, from the half line, would be good, and it wouldnt have to interrupt the pick-up-and-play method, as it could be made optional.

I think as a first version the 2d is pretty good - but I agree its something we'll be looking to improve upon as much as possible, there are some issues hidden away within it which could do with stamping on.

Glad you're enjoying the game :D

Why is it that when someone complains, they are labelled ungrateful?

The game isn't free, its not like complaining about a free update or something - If you pay for the game, you have the right to criticise it if you don't like it.

The only big changes IMO are the 2d match engine and the ability to run multiple leagues.

The latter is a good addition, it gives you the chance to see how other teams and players are doing.

The 2d pitch is rubbish, its filled with bugs, and to say we should be grateful that a half baked pitch has been added is ridiculous. To say that we need to accept the teething problems is also ridiculous - SI should have tested it, and either improved it or pulled it given how bad it is.

Saying that the updated roster is a new feature is ridiculous, what else would you expect from a yearly sports game? Rosters are updated on almost every single sports game that comes out, its not a new feature at all.

I have, for the record, played every FMH game to date, but I do feel disappointed with this version.

To be fair, this would have been the first time they tried the 2d pitch out on the market so to speak. Its very similar to the PC releasing the 3d engine, your not going to get it perfect first time. Maybe they should have tested it better, but maybe it just doesn't work on some PSP's, some are actually working, yours maybe not.

To be fair (I like this phrase ;)) I think if your complaining along the lines of how badly the 2d pitch is, then I think your degrading the whole point of the game. A 2d pitch is purely cosmetic, whilst changing leagues, better transfers what have you are important features in which needed to be upgraded. Obviously, a few people are thinking of new ideas that can be improved for FMH10.

People have the right to complain by the way, as long as its constructive critiscm in my eyes anyway.

Whilst I understand people may not like the game, I'm looking forward to it when I get it on Christmas.

I have now turned off the 2d pitch completely after 1 season and i'm enjoying the game more, I don't think the pitch is all that bad but I just prefer the faster play without it.

I have noticed some nice little improvements here and there but I think the multiple league play is worth the price alone, much more reason to play those long multi season games and more trophies to win in your career, 2d pitch not the only new thing but I can understand why people arent impressed.

I have, for the record, played every FMH game to date, but I do feel disappointed with this version.

We always value constructive criticism on these forums as it helps us to drive the game forward - if you have any particular ideas or suggestions that you feel would be worthy candidates for any future FMH games, I'd love to hear them. There is a thread (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61900) setup for these.

The 2d pitch is rubbish, its filled with bugs, and to say we should be grateful that a half baked pitch has been added is ridiculous. To say that we need to accept the teething problems is also ridiculous - SI should have tested it, and either improved it or pulled it given how bad it is.

Why does everyone who criticises the game say that they have bought every game, it's like they have a point to prove.

• SI Staff
Why does everyone who criticises the game say that they have bought every game, it's like they have a point to prove.

I think its a fair enough comment to be honest (ie. if people say they've played various versions of the game), it doesn't make any difference to how I percieve feedback from users though - I take feedback from people new to the game in exactly the same manner as those who've played numerous versions.

(well actually thats not altogether accurate - I tend to take user interface feedback MORE seriously from newcomers as it shows more accurately whether somethings easy to pick up or not, its amazing how people will adapt to poor user interface design and accept it as 'ok' if they've used it before)

I think its a fair enough comment to be honest (ie. if people say they've played various versions of the game), it doesn't make any difference to how I percieve feedback from users though - I take feedback from people new to the game in exactly the same manner as those who've played numerous versions.

(well actually thats not altogether accurate - I tend to take user interface feedback MORE seriously from newcomers as it shows more accurately whether somethings easy to pick up or not, its amazing how people will adapt to poor user interface design and accept it as 'ok' if they've used it before)

So if we want SI to listen to us we have to pretend that we are new to the series. :D

There are others features which are new in the game.

~ Improved Transfer System

~ Delay Transfers

~ Run Multiple Leagues

~ Fully updated (based on the summer transfer window)

~ Bug Fixes

~ More

the bugs aint been fixed. mine has cut out 3 times since sunday

Archived