Is anyone else finding that as it gets more realistic it looses its fun appeal?

After playing the game for a few hours now (as forest) I have come to the conclusion that the game has lost a bit of its “fun” element. Let me explain my point and try not to sound like I’m moaning too much.

I just feel some of the fun has been lost with the removal of some of the tactical elements to the game, well mainly the arrows. Don’t get me wrong I think the game is very realistic, it is very challenging practically if you a team like forest. Which is good but I am no longer finding it “fun” to play. It used to be fantastic to have the ability to use a completely unrealistic tactics that would never work in real like and beat many of the teams you play a quite easily ( should you have wanted to use such tactics)

As an aside I am doing quite well with forest 6th at Christmas so I don’t think the problem is I’m a poor manager or have rubbish tactics it just seems like a chore when playing the game rather then being fun and entertaining like a good games should be, and I not suggesting we go back to the days of Diablo, (though that was quite fun lol)

Also I do know that I don’t have to play it if I don’t want to but that’s the whole point I love FM and want to enjoy playing the new game, I’m just not that’s all.

Is anyone else finding that as it gets more realistic it looses its fun appeal?

Can't say I agree. So far FM09 is looking brilliant to me, I love the fact that the tactics are more realistic but at the same time more intuative. Although you can no longer create cheat tactics that exploit match engine flaws, it's much easier to make realictic tactics that work.

I find it more fun, to be honest, but people derive fun from different things.

I'm a very competitive person, so I derive fun from being mentally challenged and having to adapt to my opponent. I guess I gain fun from a sense of success and obviously it's more of a success to win as the game becomes more difficult.

I think if you mean 'pick up and play' factor, the game lost that at FM05.

The last couple of entries in the series have really made me realise that FM has become something that the more you put in, the more you'll get out of it. Around 07 I was thinking the tactics had gotten really complex, but when I thought about it I realised that a real manager does not put out the same formation, players and tactics every week with little or no change and expect to win every game.

Then I realised I had to actually examine my forthcoming opponents, see how they played and see if I needed to adjust my system to try and counter that. And realise that if I was managing Newcastle as usual, my chances of beating Man United were pretty bloody slim.

When I realised I couldn't win every game, and should be happy with winning 5-6 games out of 10 with most of the sides I manage ( I play mostly LLM ) , I relaxed and started to enjoy it a lot more. So bring on more realism I say :)

To the OP. I think this version is one of the best ones, ever. But not quite like CM 97/98 or CM 01/02. Those were the best games for me. You could make it hard for yourself if you wanted to, or you could make it very easy for you.

So i have to say that a sort-of agree with you. I know exactly what you mean.

I think to a point you are right, FM is trying to be more and more realistic (although there are some that would argue how realistic it is) there can be no arguing that it takes more and more time and effort to get your team right. Which is fine accept that other than the forums the people the sports interactive have yet to give the user community tools in which to really share good solid info with each other.

Imagine if they started a knowledge base/wiki that was broken down into all sorts of categories for us users to search. Such as getting shortlists for the right league, tactics for differing levels division and so on. The tools exist within the business world to do this, companies like IBM do this all the time, so why not make the sharing of information part of the game? At the moment we all have to scour the web and these forums to find the snippets of info we are looking for and it is a big time suck.

I'm not sure if you have ever read the experiment written by the guy who created the Bandits team? well the amount of effort he has to put into writing that blog could be greatly reduced if we had such tools for taking stats and numbers out of the game and being able to easily share them with our fellow virtual managers.

I think being a part of and building that sort of community would be amazing and help keep the game fun.

Same feeling here.

Although I do feel its a better game than 08 (I am even changing tactics myself now, which i almost didnt do in the last 2 versions), I am not addicted to it (yet), as I use to be.

I remember however, I did have the same feeling last year when started playing 08.

The simular feeling comes with a simular game-experience for this new version. Last year I thought the game took to long to process through a whole season, this year I have the feeling it takes me even longer.

I have played 5 friendlies and 4 competiongames and start lossing the excitement, even although I have won all but one.

I just changed my settings a bit, for gamedetail en leaguedetail. Maybee this will help to get through the game a bit faster.

I think FM09 has the makings of the best yet!!!, i like the improved realism and the challenge of the new match engine, no longer can you just make a killer tactic...press play and watch your team win every week, it is harder now, you have to make tactical adjustments for every match, man manage your players, spot your opposition weaknesses etc, i can understand why some people will find it has lost its appeal, cos it is hard work now and takes time, but for me personally who likes getting in deep and taking my time with every detail of managing my football club i love FM09.

There are people who think the game is getting to be less fun. I don't agree with this, though. I think that the gamne gets better and better, and FM09 is becoming my favourite at least since the split with Eidos.

It gets a lot easier to walk away from the game, but i always come back. Ive also found my excitement/joy whatever you want to call it increases by 100 percent when i do get things spot on. The coaches recommendations during the game are a masterstroke, and you find that not heeding his warnings about certain players will usually come back to bite you

Ive just came from 2-0 down to defeat Liverpool 3-2 in a game which had my bloody heart pounding, Im starting to find your players are responding to your tactical tweaks a hell of a lot more in this version, that being said the lag is doing my head in

For me, the game is about realism. If we didn't want realism, and maximum fun (by having unrealistic operations within the game), it wouldn't be as true to real life anymore, and defeat the point of why we play the game (a realistic football management experience). Therefore, we have to make the game as realistic as possible in order to have the fun experience (through realistic actions that football managers can do in real life) that we were promised in participating in the concept of a football management sim.

I believe the more realistic it gets, and the more actions we are able to make in-game, the more fun the game will be.

It doesn't need to be that realistic. I prefer they keep the game simple, but with realistic transfers, tactics and difficult. Or else people gets tired of just clickling the mouse left button for hours.

Computer games involve clicking mouse buttons. Yes, some parts of the game are too repetitive. But that's not because the game tries to be too realistic. I believe it would be perfectly possible, for example, to improve the media so that it isn't so repetitive.

I'd like to be able to fast forward the game a little. When the transfer window shuts, your team are settled into your preferred formation, the training is set up, your youth are loaned out, there's not really much fun happening apart from playing 1 game a week. I'd like to be able to leave it to the assistant, but be called back from important decisions. so that I can get on with playing the matches and flying through the seasons.

The holiday mode isn't really good enough to be honest, you run the risk of missing crucial news items (feeder clubs, injuries, transfers) I'd like to be able to select what I brings me back from holiday.

The fun would then return.

Thanks for the vote of support, lets hope that SI have something already in the works. I might start another thread about this later on in the week when i have though about the design of what should be included more.

Don't start a new one. Just use this one.

The more realistic the better. If you want fun - go and play FIFA Manager, lots of fun there I'm sure with all its gimmicks and unrealistic gameplay.

Yeah, who wants fun? ;-) Seriously, I think the series has only gotten better and better. Now if we could just get the activation/authentication nonsense sorted.

:thup:

The more realistic the better. If you want fun - go and play FIFA Manager, lots of fun there I'm sure with all its gimmicks and unrealistic gameplay.

Totally agree, the only people who are not enjoying the game now are the ones who just loaded a killer tactic and won everything, now this has stopped it has ruined their fun

:thup:

Totally agree, the only people who are not enjoying the game now are the ones who just loaded a killer tactic and won everything, now this has stopped it has ruined their fun

I need a killer tactic! My Inverness CT team is on a three game losing streak and my next game is at Rangers!

I can say one thing with absolute certainty; if SI started trying to roll back the realism, I personally would stop playing.
Are you criticising me or agreeing with me?

Sorry, agreeing.

I don't want FM to regress. The reason why I buy this game on release day every year is the realism and the difficulty that makes it challenging to succeed.

I think it all depends on the aim you play the game for. Mine is to have fun. In the many discussions about "which game is better", I always state that the TCM/FIFAM series had more shine and a greater fun factor, but that is countered with the sense of accomplishment I had when as a noobish manager, I steered newly promoted Haladás to Division 1.

That the game has become harder, tactically, I will notice when my inept tactics will cause me to get the boot over and over again (as in previous versions, sigh), but it will work out... some day... And then that sense of accomplishment will again be uncomparable. So for me, I guess I'll have to disagree with the OP.

Archived