Are you a cold hearted bastard like me?

Well, im playing with Roma on FM08 and i have released many many players who have delivered for me and played well for me (loyal players) but i aint loyal to them. To make things clear, i am in 2019 and i have released many many top class players because once they hit 30-31 they start declining, and i have many youths who are waiting for their spots on much lower wages with similar ability and potential to exceed.

List of players i have released includes;

- Francesco Totti 2010/2011

- Amauri / Manuel Pasqual 2012/2013

- Andrea Barzagli / Mexes / Doni 2013/2014

- Daniele De Rossi, Rosina, Daniel Alves 2015/2016

- Alberto aquilani 2016/2017

- Miguel Veloso & Messi

The painful thing is, i dont feel sympathy. I feel they earned more than enough $$$ and trophies to go with it. I enjoy blooding in youngsters. Do you feel sympathy when you need to release your veterans or are you cold blooded and release them when they done?

I play similarly but sometimes I try to keep people onboard to tutor my youngsters or even better to become a member of my coaching staff. But yeah, I prefer youngsters so I run into the problem quite a bit, no matter where I play. Makes you feel a bit like a douchebag but hey, who cares if you act like an asshole to some bits of data. ;)

I'm still playing FM09 and it's the 2023/24 and I still play Morten Nielsen (IRL player - Chelsea youth squad), because he's my club's top scorer (Gillingham) and I can't bear to release him. He's 33 or 34 which in FM terms makes him useless, and he's clearly no good for the EPL which is where I'm playing, but I just can't bring myself to let him go. :(

However, I was at home to Chelsea in my first season in the EPL in the 2022/23 season and he scored the 89th minute goal in a 1-0 victory over his former club. For that reason alone he has a contract for life. :*)

You have to be hard - I've just sold off my vice-captain Puyol because I know that in FM08 he'll slow up massively in the coming season. I'd like to offer him a coaching role, but the game doesn't yet facilitate that. so he has to go.

Ironically, arguably the most hard-hearted manager IRL appears to be a right softie when it comes to his captain (the Neviller) and that ol'Ginger-tosh who've been wonderful servants but are now liabilities.

i like this new 'make player available to play for the reserves' option. It really helps in managing to keep all my players fit and ready to play. This way i can rotate all my veterans and youngsters without too much micro management, which keeps me from releasing players to avoid the hassle of keeping everyone happy.

i like this new 'make player available to play for the reserves' option. It really helps in managing to keep all my players fit and ready to play. This way i can rotate all my veterans and youngsters without too much micro management, which keeps me from releasing players to avoid the hassle of keeping everyone happy.

How new do you think this is? It has been around for a while now!

Still playing 08. Yesterday I tried to have a massive overhaul of my first tem, geting rid of most of my players and bringing in youth players. It meant transfer listing players who have spent their entire career with the club e.g. Schweinsteiger and Lahm, in the end I couldn't do it and just reloaded :rolleyes:

How new do you think this is? It has been around for a while now!

seriously? i never noticed it!

I only noticed it because the AssMan now points out for me to select which players i'd like to let play in the reserves for the upcoming match. Before i had given up on assigning them as i used to do it manually.

Still playing 08. Yesterday I tried to have a massive overhaul of my first tem, geting rid of most of my players and bringing in youth players. It meant transfer listing players who have spent their entire career with the club e.g. Schweinsteiger and Lahm, in the end I couldn't do it and just reloaded :rolleyes:

lol, yeh that loyalty thing. I had a similar fate with Totti, De Rossi, Aquilani. To make myself comfortable i holidayed till 1st July from 29th June and they got released automatically (because their contracts ended) ;) for non Rome players is easy to offload

seriously? i never noticed it!

I only noticed it because the AssMan now points out for me to select which players i'd like to let play in the reserves for the upcoming match. Before i had given up on assigning them as i used to do it manually.

It is a new feature... the one where you had to do it manually didnt work for all leagues only england and other countries where it had a reserve side.

Is a pretty nice feature, cant wait to get my hands on the full release on thursday

I’m so soft I sit there fretting when my goal scorer runs about, airplane style, celebrating on his own.

“Why’s nobody celebrating with him?” I wonder. “Is he unpopular? Is he being bullied?” etc.

On FM7 I offered Gavin Williams (Ipswich game) a new contract even though I didn’t want to. I was going to let him go on a free, but he turned down a very good offer from Leicester because he was “looking forward to Champions League football”. I didn’t have the heart to release him!

I don’t exactly make Vlad the Impaler look like a yogurt knitting wimp.

I have the "Logan's Run" strategy. When players hit 30 it's off to the carousel of the transfer list. :)

i like to reward players who have shown respect and loyalty to me by giving them the option to retire when they see fit. They might not necessarily play much once they hit the age of 35, but i will keep them if they have been with me all their career and never showed anything but loyalty.

I have the "Logan's Run" strategy. When players hit 30 it's off to the carousel of the transfer list. :)

I would normally bin players when they hit 32 or so, but Kevin Kuranyi is forcing me to appreciate the older player, he's 33 and just finished a season with 24 goals in 24 games :)

I't depends who I'm managing as to how sentimental I am. If I play as Liverpool (which I generally do) Hyypia, Carragher, Gerrard, Torres, Alonso etc are all going to retire with the club. If and when I foray to other clubs I look at it on a stats and form basis only, if I get a good offer then the guys gone no matter who he is.

Archived