Match engine, 07 or 08?

this is true.fm 2007 match engine is very better than fm 2008.I back to 2007 too.I hope the patch 8.2 to revise it or I'll to wait the fm 2009.the fm 2008 preoccupation was the interactivite and the graphics,forbbiden the main:the play field

Disagree, I think the FM08 engine is far better, firstly the way the game is represented on the 2D is a vast improvement, and secondly FM07 was undermined by the fact that any tactic with a good target man, was pretty much guaranteed to bring you success.

From what I have been reading they are putting a lot of effort into the 8.02 patch, and I think they will iron out a lot of the current bugs.

And any tactic on 08 with a quick lone striker results in 25 shots on goal a game and defenders moving in ways that seem incomprehensible.

Every match engine has a weakness that can be exploited, that doesn't mean 07 was bad. I actually thought the 8.0.0 ME had the most potential, bar the closing down. Player movement was wonderful and defenders weren't complete ******** in their movement.

I am back to 07. With the patch i've noticed that my liverpool defence is now (normally) strong unlike before when Hyppia smashed the ball for a corner in the other teams half.

08 has shocked me this year. After the time when i was 8-5 down after 25 minutes against reading as birmingham i have locked 08 in the cupboard. hoping the new patch will get rid of the awful bugs.

After just 6 hours of editing, ihad all the English transfers right and the Spansih primera also correct. I prefer 07

On the whole FM08 match engine is more realistic, especially when it comes to the way the ball is cleared defensively, more clearances for throw ins rather than corners, defenders knowing they have the time to turn with the ball when facing their goal line rather than kicking it off for a corner, etc.

However, as with all match engines it has its issues, my biggest gripe being the lack of direct shots from free kicks just outside the penalty area directly in front of goal ,but hopefully once the patch is released it will be head and shoulders above any other 2d match engine we have had before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Los_Culés:

I can´t help myself, but FM 2007 engine is far far better than 08. Why SI changed so many things? Oh dear icon_frown.gif.

...go back to FM 2007, best version yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although the FM07 engine had fewer issues (after its patches), there is no way anyone can argue that the FM08 engine isn't miles better.

The flow of the game, passing, movement, etc ... is all much better in FM08. When the patch tweaks a few areas, everyone will agree that this is the best yet.

fm08 does have better player movement no doubt but in fm07 my defenders with concentration +15 do not do stupid things and my strikers will score some of the one vs one . Of course absurd results are still possible but they only happen 1/20 times so not a problem.

It is just boring having to use the trainer to remove AI goalies in order to play a fair match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alexboss:

I HAVE INFORMATIONS THAT THE PATCH WILL BE OUT THIS WEEKEND. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope this is just a rumour - otherwise my Valentine's weekend with the wife is going to have to be cancelled. There's always the laptop option I suppose. icon_cool.gif

For all my moans about the FM08 match engine I still prefer it over FM07.

From 8.00 it was quite obvious that Paul C had really "gone for it" this year and it was like night vs day over FM07s effort. The way the tempo of the game would change, and the movement of attacking players was superb- as was the sheer variety of finishes (with aplomb).

This for me was FM08s big new feature, and if Paul can recapture the feeling lost in 8.01 whilst still fixing the issues from 8.00 then imo we have an engine that doesnt need too much work on for FM09.

If I can imagine the outcome of this the only thing I might tweak is the pace of the players (who at times seem too slow) and possibly the speed of the ball.

Ive been very criticial in my posts but whether Im playing 8.00 beta or 8.01 I couldnt possibly go back to Fm07. Im absolutely dribbling at the bit for 8.02- as Im convinced that the time spent on the new patch will be a good decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polegategavin:

On the whole FM08 match engine is more realistic, especially when it comes to the way the ball is cleared defensively </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding? Defensive clearances (both your players clearing the ball a couple of metres and the computer clearing it 50 yards as a through ball) is one of the worst aspects of the current ME.

Without question 08 match engine is better!

It is obvious that it is more realistic and i agree that there are less defensive mistakes and the tactics are more effective, especially in final 10 mins.

It's a shame how some people do not like the idea of change and i don't believe that so many tests etc on the match engine can be wrong. Some people can't respect and value a high quality, much improved match engine when it smacks theight in the face!

SI are are not a micky mouse organisation they would no simply make their match engine worse, especially as it is a major part of the FM games. icon_wink.gif

Back to the real world, CMON U REDS!!!!!!, LETS BEAT THOSE D IRTY CHEATING LEEDS!

I'm going to the game, i hope the match engine is good!!!!! icon_wink.gif. I think it might be quite realistic. icon_wink.gif

Give SI a rest they try to please everyone, but people just like to have a big moan as there is nothing else to moan about.

p.s: i'm here all week! icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polegategavin:

On the whole FM08 match engine is more realistic, especially when it comes to the way the ball is cleared defensively </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding? Defensive clearances (both your players clearing the ball a couple of metres and the computer clearing it 50 yards as a through ball) is one of the worst aspects of the current ME. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perception- the CPU suffers from this too. Maybe overcooked, but not unfair.

Anyway FM07 was cursed with constant poor backpasses and unforced conceding of corners. Far worse imho.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Anyway FM07 was cursed with constant poor backpasses and unforced conceding of corners. Far worse imho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I agree that it goes both ways, but defensive clearances (and defending in general) to me is probably the worst part of the match engine. So many unnecessary chances are created because players either can't clear their lines or can do it unrealistically well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Anyway FM07 was cursed with constant poor backpasses and unforced conceding of corners. Far worse imho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please remember that in FM08, the composure attribute is key to good defending. I've seen many posts about so-called "great" defenders not clearing the ball well under pressure. These so-called good defenders may have great technical stats, but don't underestimate the importance of composure. If you have defenders with high composure, you will not suffer this problem at all (or at least very much).

icon14.gif

Oh I agree that it goes both ways, but defensive clearances (and defending in general) to me is probably the worst part of the match engine. So many unnecessary chances are created because players either can't clear their lines or can do it unrealistically well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I agree that it goes both ways, but defensive clearances (and defending in general) to me is probably the worst part of the match engine. So many unnecessary chances are created because players either can't clear their lines or can do it unrealistically well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please remember that in FM08, the composure attribute is key to good defending. I've seen many posts about so-called "great" defenders not clearing the ball well under pressure. These so-called good defenders may have great technical stats, but don't underestimate the importance of composure. If you have defenders with high composure, you will not suffer this problem at all (or at least very much).

icon14.gif

p.s. I hate not being able to edit my own posts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

icon14.gif

p.s. I hate not being able to edit my own posts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt realise that as Ive always looked for that mainly in strikers.

But this brings me to think about "coaching" players- ok, you may not have the most composed defender in the world, but really it shouldnt take great composure for any defender to realise that putting the ball into safe areas is the best options. Therefore the way this manifests in the match engine is a tad unrealistic, as composure should not be linked with the ability to put a ball in row Z.

Regardless of this it reminds me of Kaboul at Spurs, a young and promising (and by his finishing composed) defender who has got caught out by not taking the easy option. As a Spurs season ticket holder its quite obvious that the safety first mentality has been coached into him, therefore cutting out the errors.

So how cool would it be to be able to point such things out to your players, as currently I think FM can punish players for missing one or two attributes when irl these flaws can be worked around or coached.

I didnt realise that as Ive always looked for that mainly in strikers.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a common mistake people make on the forums and in the game in general - especially because most people that cme up with their own training schedules exclude all shooting practice and yet this is where the composure attributes is increased. I think if it is an important defensive and attacking attribute, it should be in tactics or some similar training program instead.

Neither is perfect, and to be honest its difficult to choose which one is better. 08 has a bigger major flaw with the amount of one on one chances being created because the defensive side of the game is badly flawed. But the attacking movement is far better than 07, with players moving realistically off the ball, and full backs supporting attacks much more effectively.

07 is a decent effort and doesn't have a major flaw or a major strength. It'd be a backward step to go back to it though as SI have made some positive strides forward in 08, they just need to sort out the defence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They both look exactly the same, to me. icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EDIT: Now that I think of it, there does seem to be a significant number of one-on-ones like Sir Liam mentioned. And all this time I've just been thinking it was my team, though.

Archived