Worldwide Soccer Manager Difference?

I'm in North America and wondering if anything other than the box art and in game pictures are different in the Worldwide Soccer Manager version? (Maybe languages are too but that doesn't matter to me)

Will all patches, etc work fine?

Thanks!

I have been wondering the same thing. Last year, i downloaded a bunch of kit, logo, and face patches. Unfortunately, every patch seems to be tailored for FM, and none for WWSM. There very well could be a way to fit them into the WWSM files, but no one could help. Perhaps someone out there does know.

I don't think its exactly the same. Can someone who has the retail version bought in the UK confirm whether you are hired as the "head coach" or are you a "manager" and whether half time team talks are referred to as "teamtalks" instead of "pep talks". These are the two notable differences I've seen.

I don't think its exactly the same. Can someone who has the retail version bought in the UK confirm whether you are hired as the "head coach" or are you a "manager" and whether half time team talks are referred to as "teamtalks" instead of "pep talks". These are the two notable differences I've seen.

agreed and i must say im not too pleased at this.

i am australian and bought FM09 via steam. it was advertised as FM09 on Steam and the game itself calls itself Football Manager, not WWSM.

however i have noticed it uses words such as your examples above and also calls "football", "SOCCER"!

can i change this? its only a minor point but really gets to me.

any help much appreciated.

It's also in "American" english as opposed to "British" english, but even this can be changed in the options. :D

how do you change the language used? ive checked options but all i can see is "English" (admittedly im at work and only have the demo here to check)

is this the same as full version?

I bought WWSM last year and can confirm that it defaults to American English, thereby calling you "Head Coach", etc...

However, you just have to change the language in the options to UK English and everything reverts back to the proper terminology we all know and love.

Also, just to confirm, WWSM and FM use SEPARATE patches. You can't use the FM patch on a WWSM game. That is the major reason why I'm going the imported route and getting FM shipped from England to Canada as opposed to downloading the game off Steam, which defaults to WWSM in my country.

agreed and i must say im not too pleased at this.

i am australian and bought FM09 via steam. it was advertised as FM09 on Steam and the game itself calls itself Football Manager, not WWSM.

however i have noticed it uses words such as your examples above and also calls "football", "SOCCER"!

can i change this? its only a minor point but really gets to me.

any help much appreciated.

I agree I bought it off steam where it was advertised as Football Manager....but its most obviously not. Even if these were minor cosmetic changes, its not what I paid for.

I agree I bought it off steam where it was advertised as Football Manager....but its most obviously not. Even if these were minor cosmetic changes, its not what I paid for.

Hmm seems I got worked up for nothing...why can't things go wrong... well I think its the same version cos after changing the language preferences its still the same old FM

1. The underlying code is the same. WWSM will have the same features, same bugs, etc, as FM.

2. Language (soccer, head coach, etc) is a Preference. You should be able to switch this to "English-UK" from the Preferences screen. I've always bought WWSM, and always play it in English-UK because things like "head coach" just sound silly to me. ;) (Note: The WWSM'09 demo included only English-US to save download size; English-UK will be available in the full version whether you got it from Steam or Amazon.)

3. Patches require a WWSM-specific patch. This is because the name of the executable is different (WWSM.EXE instead of FM.EXE), and patch updaters tend to rely on filenames. SI are usually very good about releasing WWSM patches on the same day as FM patches, but they have occasionally lagged behind by a day or two.

4. Most but not all third-party addons will work (facepacks, graphics packs, etc.) Some do not - for example, the save-game editor (FMM) relies on finding memory currently used by FM.EXE, and therefore doesn't find memory in use by WWSM.EXE.

5. Network games are 100% compatible - I have played network games with FM purchasers using my copies of WWSM'05, WWSM'07, and WWSM'08.

Hope that clears up any questions, lads.

yep as the posted above explained it is in fact football manager - it was only the default to shitty american english that tricked me

Hey there Amaroq, I was wondering if I'd run into you over here... :)

Al (aka PadresFan)

Big fan of your Mod site PadresFan and all of your OOTP contributions. I messaged you on the OOTP boards a while back introducing myself & letting you know that I am a "Zonie" who invades San Diego every summer.

Are you a Mac WWSM user?

Question: This is the first year I have picked WWSM over FM...Do Tactics and Training Schedules work between the two games?

Big fan of your Mod site PadresFan and all of your OOTP contributions. I messaged you on the OOTP boards a while back introducing myself & letting you know that I am a "Zonie" who invades San Diego every summer.

Are you a Mac WWSM user?

Question: This is the first year I have picked WWSM over FM...Do Tactics and Training Schedules work between the two games?

All the training and tactic sets ive downloaded in the past have worked on wwsm. for those starting out here's a couple of items to google. i have stuck with wwfans: wwfan’s Scenario 4-4-2 Standard Systems within One Formation. Hands down the best tactic/guide i've seen to date. and of course tugs training set is always solid. and stop by fm-britian for suggestions for lower league management and very informative articles. Hayes and reading is very hard to get going so far in 09 (demo anyway amazon delivery tomorrow). Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the Yank version and I also play it in real English (not American). I also changed the currency to UK pound sterling instead of US dollars. I did leave the weather at Fahrenheit though since I can't do the conversion to Centigrade in my head, and left height at feet since I can't convert to cm in my head, and also weight in pounds since I have no idea what the hell a "stone" is.

This is why we just need to convert to the metric system and be done with it.

Archived