Is it worth buying?

Hi, I have bought the game and already installed it in my computer through steam. Apparently I ve been hearing things that once I installed it I dont need the disc to run it unlike other FM series. My friends wants the game but is it worth buying... Or shall I just give him the the disc till he installs it. What should we do..:(

I wouldn't recommend the demo to any new player as a way of deciding whether or not to buy the game. Any veteran FM player knows SI has a history of releasing one or two patches in the first months of release to really get the game working as intended, but to a player new to the series, I think the demo might be a little off-putting due to various recognised issues that are fixed in the first patch.

I suppose this is the argument against the DRM system though. Legally speaking, your friend needs to buy the game, as you only have the right to install it on your own machines. The question is whether SI have a way of checking whether you own all the machines you've installed your game on. I could install it on 5 of my household machines legally. I could also install it on my brothers machine, as he isn't connected to the internet, SI would have no valid means to check whether it is me using that licence, or whether it is someone else. The DRM makes it more difficult for worldwide piracy through torrent downloads and no cd cracks, but friends have an easier way of sharing the game without having to worry about downloading dodgy cracks and getting viruses.

Anyway, this is the SI forums so of course I'm going to suggest being legal, which means your friend needs to buy his own copy of the game, otherwise he's in breach of copyright. If you don't care about such things then that's up to you.

I wouldn't recommend the demo to any new player as a way of deciding whether or not to buy the game. Any veteran FM player knows SI has a history of releasing one or two patches in the first months of release to really get the game working as intended, but to a player new to the series, I think the demo might be a little off-putting due to various recognised issues that are fixed in the first patch.

I suppose this is the argument against the DRM system though. Legally speaking, your friend needs to buy the game, as you only have the right to install it on your own machines. The question is whether SI have a way of checking whether you own all the machines you've installed your game on. I could install it on 5 of my household machines legally. I could also install it on my brothers machine, as he isn't connected to the internet, SI would have no valid means to check whether it is me using that licence, or whether it is someone else. The DRM makes it more difficult for worldwide piracy through torrent downloads and no cd cracks, but friends have an easier way of sharing the game without having to worry about downloading dodgy cracks and getting viruses.

Anyway, this is the SI forums so of course I'm going to suggest being legal, which means your friend needs to buy his own copy of the game, otherwise he's in breach of copyright. If you don't care about such things then that's up to you.

Good post. Not sure if DRM makes it tougher for the pirates though. Some were playing pirate version while others were still struggling to install the game, that's how quickly they got it done.

Well I can't speak for how successful it has been. I'm sure their intention was to have it a lot more secure than the CD check in previous versions. Pirates are usually very good at what they do, and most likely spend far more time working out how to break copyright than companies like SI can afford to put into developing greater security.

Personally I like the fact that I don't have to worry about having my CD with me. Putting aside the issues on release day, it can make it more convenient to the general user. I just wonder how open to abuse it is between a group of friends. I'm also concerned that the Q&A thread hasn't cleared up the more important issues about our legal rights.

For instance, am I legally allowed to have the game running more than once at the same time so that I can play a network game at home. Obviously all the machines would still be mine, but can I launch the game more than once, or does the licence only allow me to have it open on one machine at a time.

this years demo did nothing to help convince people who havent played fm before. but i remember the fm 08 demo (a-league one, came with fourfourtwo) influenced me greatly to go out and buy the full game. (had never played fm before last year)

Archived