Windowed Mode

Sorry if Im posting this in the wrong place and if this question has already been answered somewhere else, but how do I set it so I can play the game in windowed mode?

From the Game Introduction screen (where is says 'New Game', 'Load Game', etc) select 'Preferences' (or 'Options' -> 'Preferences' from within the game from the menubar).

From here, select the 'Display & Sound' section from the Tree Menu.

Under 'Display Mode' select 'Windowed' and then 'Confirm'.

From the Game Introduction screen (where is says 'New Game', 'Load Game', etc) select 'Preferences' (or 'Options' -> 'Preferences' from within the game from the menubar).

On my game, windowed is greyed out. Any reason for this?

On my game, windowed is greyed out. Any reason for this?

That is probably down to your resolution.

Try doing this instead:

Copy and paste this extension -windowed -small_screen to the target of the shortcut.

If you want additional help doing this post back. :)

That is probably down to your resolution.

Try doing this instead:

Copy and paste this extension -windowed -small_screen to the target of the shortcut.

If you want additional help doing this post back. :)

Hi,

sorry but how can I "Copy and paste this extension -windowed -small_screen to the target of the shortcut"? my windowed mode is also greyed out.

Many thanks for your time.

Hi,

sorry but how can I "Copy and paste this extension -windowed -small_screen to the target of the shortcut"? my windowed mode is also greyed out.

Many thanks for your time.

Ok first of all do you have an FM09 icon on your desktop?

To get windowed mode working

Go to where you installed fm

Installed through Uniloc:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

Installed through Steam:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Football Manager 2009

Right-click drag the fm.exe to the desktop and select 'create shortcut here'

Then right-click the shortcut that's been created and add -windowed -small_screen to the end of the target field so it looks like this

windoweddn5.jpg

Let me know how you get on

i apologies in advance for my ignorance but could someone explain windowed mode, i.e what is it and what is the benefit

First of all windowed mode means the game will load in a window rather than in full screen. So you will see your start button, taskbar and a title bar with minimise, maximise and exit buttons (X button).

It just means it is easier to switch between programs quicker like if you are browsing the web at the same time. :)

I've tried typing

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" --small_screen --windowed

and

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -windowed -small_screen

into the Target field, but neither have "ungreyed" the windows choice in options.

I have the disc, but am loading via Steam, do I have to do something within Steam to get this working properly. Any help greatly appreciated.

Peter

I've tried typing

and

into the Target field' date=' but neither have "ungreyed" the windows choice in options.

I have the disc, but am loading via Steam, do I have to do something within Steam to get this working properly. Any help greatly appreciated.

Peter[/quote']

Thats wrong, look at the screenshot in this thread.

I've tried typing

and

into the Target field' date=' but neither have "ungreyed" the windows choice in options.

Peter[/quote']

It does not ungrey the option. It just means that the next time you start the game it will be in windowed mode.

I put this "-windowed -small_screen" lark at the end of the Target path and when I click the desktop icon, it comes up in a black window and then after a few seconds an error report thing comes up and closes it.

Any other ways of putting it in windowed mode? Any other endings like the one you lot are suggesting?

First of all windowed mode means the game will load in a window rather than in full screen. So you will see your start button, taskbar and a title bar with minimise, maximise and exit buttons (X button).

It just means it is easier to switch between programs quicker like if you are browsing the web at the same time. :)

thanks for that

I noticed that opening fm09 on your "Games" list in Steam still opens a full screen window. Actually clicking the desktop shortcut for fm09 after changing the "Target" line will work.

I've not had a crash myself, but it may have something to do with your screen resolution, which you can change in Display Options in Control Panel.Do you have your resolution at 800x600 or something?

is this needed? or does it run the game better?

See this. :)

Hi Mark,

Bit confused here, I have converted the game to windowed mode and though it has improved the performance in general, the match engine is still incredibally slow. It takes forever to set up the match and then (even though I am running 2d and without highlights most of the time) with 'full' on match speed it takes probably 10 minutes to play a single game (without subs or tactical changes which take even longer).

I have my screen set at 1024 by 768 so I am not sure what else I can do. My pc dealt with FM08 perfctly and a very good speed, is it the case that 09 has changed so much that it has now out dated my pc or is there something else I can be doing?

It's a pity because it took me until yesterday (from Friday) to eventually get up and running and I have tried STEAM and Uni' version but both run the matches so slowly at the minute that I will probably have to return the game. As I say the rest of the game runs quite quickly.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks,

ive got a psp and bought the handheld version, much simpler to use.. handhelds are defo the way forward.. i think SIgames have got it wrong with pc games.. should go back to how fm2007 was made and keep it at that level, most of the people that play FM dont really care about the 2d or 3d, its just the chance to manage the team you support and buy better players etc.

neways if you have a psp i fully recommend 4-1-3-2, i wonder if it works in the PC version

1. Go to game preferences

2. Go to display and sound

3. In the top of the screen select display mode as windowed

Let me know how you get on :)

Mine had been running fine as far as submitting a team on match day, then freezing every time I went to start a match. Switching to windowed mode has fixed this, so cheers for that. Still not tried running in 3d mode yet though...

Not sure if this is a reflection on the developers or on me (my machine is pretty new), but I've never had so much trouble getting a new game to work. Still, I'm sure it'll be worth the hassle!

ok what am i doing wrong please?

i must admit im useless at stuff like this but on my shortcuts i enterted the -windowed -small_screen and when i went to run that programme it just loaded up steam.

before i did it the shortcut was "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

so i deleted the applaunch bit and put in "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -windowed -small_screen

were am i going wrong? thanks very much if anyone can help me out on this i been playing fm for years and never knew you could play it this way and always wanted to :p

also were people have target location mine says steam i created a shortcut for it on my desktop by right clicking on steam and making it a shortcut so why is mine different

this may sound stupid so sorry but how do you open C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Football Manager 2009

EDIT fixed it!!! very happy now :D im no good at computers so took me bout 30 mins to do but followed instructions first time i did nothing happened 2nd time it worked!!! can go back to being dosey me now and play window mode

whenever i got to submit team it says not well informed (valid token) at line 1 of speed.xml what should i do

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I go to preferences, there is no option for 'windowed'. The only option I can see is 'Screenshot format: PNG or BMP' but neither makes any difference.

None of the advice above seems to work on Mac's - any other way to change to windowed mode? I have exactly the same problem as dannylegarcon so hoping it works...

Archived